Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Waiting 3 years for Model X. Now a bait & switch?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I placed my "reservation" for a Model X in 2013 the car was still not finalized. A "prototype" was developed later that year and there were changes being made up until the fall of 2015. Back in 2013 there were no specifics as to what configurations and options would be available. In the beginning there was no reference to the number of seats even though there were lots of rumors. Even after the official launching in late September 2015 changes were still being made to the design. It wasn't until the design studio was opened did people know what options and configurations would be available and that has even changed overtime. The design studio opened in October 2015 for people who made a $40k reservation for a signature model and late November 2015 thru January 2016 for those who made a $5k deposit.

Orders were prioritized with the more expensive P90D with Autopilot and Premium Option being manufactured first. I don't think anyone expected this as people thought the cars would be made in reservation order. The top of the line fully loaded model X goes for more than $155k. The stripped down version is being produced last and starts in the $70's. (At least Tesla has already announced this is the same order they will produce the Model 3).

In early 2013 we knew little more than the Model X would be an Electric Luxury SUV. When people made their reservationists (not order) this is all they knew.

Now that the cars are out you will have to decide whether you can live with 6 to 7 seater with the third row folding flat or wait for 6-12 months for a 5 seat version. I doubt if the the 5 seat version will give you that much more cargo space due to the way the chassis is designed.

As an early adopter you have to expect changes to configuration, problems with production and delays. In the first six months I have had my Model X P90DL it has been in for service at least 4 of the 6 months. The rear hatchback still needs replacing and is on back order. The service department had already told me they will need my car for another 4-6 weeks when they install the new hatchback. I won't bore you with the list of problems.

Even though I do not regret ordering a Model X I do regret being in the first 25 to come off the production line. It looks like they didn't resolve most of the issues until 5,000 - 6,000 were produced. I thought I had identified all of the problems and everything was fixed but the tailgate issue but in the last couple of days I have had a problem with the driver's door not properly closing causing there to be a two inch gap between the door and the window.

I initially had issues with my SC but after contacting the regional service manager they have been much more responsive.

I believe if I were in your shoes I would either go with a 6/7 seater or cancel my order completely as I can't imagine the 5 seater being of any value.

[QUOTE="I believe if I were in your shoes I would either go with a 6/7 seater or cancel my order completely as I can't imagine the 5 seater being of any value.[/QUOTE]

A 5 seater has value because you don't have to get SAS. Talked to Fremont Friday and looking good for late 2016 and that is still inline with what Tesla promised me.

• Helpful
Reactions: GSP
A 5 seater has value because you don't have to get SAS. Talked to Fremont Friday and looking good for late 2016 and that is still inline with what Tesla promised me.

If that's the only reason you're getting a 5-seater, I would wait. The only reason coil and 5-seaters are tied together right now is because they'll go into production at roughly the same time, so neither option will delay the other. They'll add the option back to other configurations after coil goes into production. You won't lose anything by simply waiting to order.

When I placed my "reservation" for a Model X in 2013 the car was still not finalized. A "prototype" was developed later that year and there were changes being made up until the fall of 2015. Back in 2013 there were no specifics as to what configurations and options would be available. In the beginning there was no reference to the number of seats even though there were lots of rumors. Even after the official launching in late September 2015 changes were still being made to the design. It wasn't until the design studio was opened did people know what options and configurations would be available and that has even changed overtime. The design studio opened in October 2015 for people who made a $40k reservation for a signature model and late November 2015 thru January 2016 for those who made a $5k deposit.

Orders were prioritized with the more expensive P90D with Autopilot and Premium Option being manufactured first. I don't think anyone expected this as people thought the cars would be made in reservation order. The top of the line fully loaded model X goes for more than $155k. The stripped down version is being produced last and starts in the $70's. (At least Tesla has already announced this is the same order they will produce the Model 3).

In early 2013 we knew little more than the Model X would be an Electric Luxury SUV. When people made their reservationists (not order) this is all they knew.

Now that the cars are out you will have to decide whether you can live with 6 to 7 seater with the third row folding flat or wait for 6-12 months for a 5 seat version. I doubt if the the 5 seat version will give you that much more cargo space due to the way the chassis is designed.

As an early adopter you have to expect changes to configuration, problems with production and delays. In the first six months I have had my Model X P90DL it has been in for service at least 4 of the 6 months. The rear hatchback still needs replacing and is on back order. The service department had already told me they will need my car for another 4-6 weeks when they install the new hatchback. I won't bore you with the list of problems.

Even though I do not regret ordering a Model X I do regret being in the first 25 to come off the production line. It looks like they didn't resolve most of the issues until 5,000 - 6,000 were produced. I thought I had identified all of the problems and everything was fixed but the tailgate issue but in the last couple of days I have had a problem with the driver's door not properly closing causing there to be a two inch gap between the door and the window.

I initially had issues with my SC but after contacting the regional service manager they have been much more responsive.

I believe if I were in your shoes I would either go with a 6/7 seater or cancel my order completely as I can't imagine the 5 seater being of any value.
At least you are consistent. You told me to cancel in April and reorder. I didn't follow your unsolicited advise. Thank goodness, as I received a free upgrade to a 75 as a result. You may want to expand your idea of what is a valuable Model X. I am glad you enjoy your configuration. To many, a five seat, coil suspension Model X, is very valuable configuration (for reason listed all over this forum) as it meets the owners needs. For someone you helps with the Model X Tracker, I expected a bit more professionalism.

Reactions: Scoopup
I have taken another step toward my long-term goal of all-electric driving. After waiting three years for the 5-seat MX, we unexpectedly purchased a used 2015 Nissan Leaf. We love the Leaf. It meets all of our local needs. It has plenty of range (“only” 80 miles) and goes up our steep hills quite well. We find the 4-camera, “Around View Monitor” very functional in tight spaces. The Leaf has taken the pressure off moving toward my goal of driving all-electric.

We have been driving a 2010 Lexus RX450h (non-plug-in hybrid) and a 2013 Ford C-Max Energi (plug-in). With the Ford we only use $10 (that is, ten) worth of gas a year (230 mpg). The rest of the Ford miles are on electricity provided by solar panels on our roof. When Chevy makes the Bolt available in Florida, we may trade in the Ford for the Chevy. (The Bolt will have technology equivalent to the “Around View Monitor.”) That would be our second BEV. At that point, we would be driving very few miles on our Lexus non-plug-in (which is excellent, especially on the highway).

I continue to support Tesla and its mission. They have had my deposit on a Model X since 2013 and told me that I would have the car in 2014. The interim has been difficult and costly to me. I will not be baited and switched to an MX with six or seven seats. With the purchase of the Leaf, I am no longer sitting on the edge of my chair guessing what Tesla will do and when. The Model X is very nice, but more car than I need or want. For a “utility” vehicle, it has too little utility (e.g., non-folding second row seats, shiny seat backs). It is too expensive and too complicated. I will probably still buy it, but I will wait until Tesla tells me they are actually producing the 5-seater before I make a commitment. I am encouraged by the possibility of the 100kWh battery and AP 2.0 hardware. Tesla is currently saying they will deliver the 5-seater by the end of the year. I will let them retain my deposit for a few more months until “late 2016.” I had made a pretty final decision to wait and purchase the MX, but the untoward delay and my satisfaction with the Leaf has changed the equation.

Last edited:
Reactions: beths11 and ModelX
I have taken another step toward my long-term goal of all-electric driving. After waiting three years for the 5-seat MX, we unexpectedly purchased a used 2015 Nissan Leaf. We love the Leaf. It meets all of our local needs. It has plenty of range (“only” 80 miles) and goes up our steep hills quite well. We find the 4-camera, “Around View Monitor” very functional in tight spaces. The Leaf has taken the pressure off moving toward my goal of driving all-electric.

We have been driving a 2010 Lexus RX450h (non-plug-in hybrid) and a 2013 Ford C-Max Energi (plug-in). With the Ford we only use $10 (that is, ten) worth of gas a year (230 mpg). The rest of the Ford miles are on electricity provided by solar panels on our roof. When Chevy makes the Bolt available in Florida, we may trade in the Ford for the Chevy. (The Bolt will have technology equivalent to the “Around View Monitor.”) That would be our second BEV. At that point, we would be driving very few miles on our Lexus non-plug-in (which is excellent, especially on the highway).

I continue to support Tesla and its mission. They have had my deposit on a Model X since 2013 and told me that I would have the car in 2014. The interim has been difficult and costly to me. I will not be baited and switched to an MX with six or seven seats. With the purchase of the Leaf, I am no longer sitting on the edge of my chair guessing what Tesla will do and when. The Model X is very nice, but more car than I need or want. For a “utility” vehicle, it has too little utility (e.g., non-folding second row seats, shiny seat backs). It is too expensive and too complicated. I will probably still buy it, but I will wait until Tesla tells me they are actually producing the 5-seater before I make a commitment. I am encouraged by the possibility of the 100kWh battery and AP 2.0 hardware. Tesla is currently saying they will deliver the 5-seater by the end of the year. I will let them retain my deposit for a few more months until “late 2016.” I had made a pretty final decision to wait and purchase the MX, but the untoward delay and my satisfaction with the Leaf has changed the equation.

You list your location as Florida - can you explain the steep hills?

I appreciate your point of view and situation, all I can say is after a two year wait the Model X is amazing and I love every part of it. Yes it is not a people or equipment hauler but it is also not the normal everyday SUV and that is what I want. I now have 2 all electric vehicles and someday might sell my F-150 for an electric truck.