Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Waiting a month for a new Windshield??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had my windshield cracked this evening on a trip home from visiting my parents. I drive a 2015 70d model s that is now in need of repair. I am hopeful that the experience is more efficient and effective than a 6 week turnaround.

As the title says, I have been waiting a month for a new windshield. I live in AZ and unfortunately we have a frequent rock chips. I have had 3 "chip repairs" in the last year, but finally had one crack badly, about 45 cm long and in front of my face. Are long waits normal on Tesla glass? Has anyone else had similar wait times? I have read other threads on long repair times, but a month for a windshield? Any aftermarket options??

I just had my windshield replaced yesterday at the Sunnyvale SC. They had it in stock. I made the appointment last week. Seaside also had it in stock. Mine is a AP 1 non heated. There are several different versions of the model S windshield. Maybe some are a bit more rare.

Ordered my windshield through the SC and it took 2 months to get a AP 2.0 windshield. They had a issue with production and if you have it changed by a outside vendor have the light sensor swapped. The new glass comes with it but there have been reports of the right headlight failing to turn on software issue (happen to me). The SC can fix it but it requires a visit.

had to replace the wind shield recently (rock from the bed of a pick up truck) - took about a week for inventory, but at least my MS was driveable in the meantime. A few weeks later, someone shattered two side windows to rifle through my car in San Francisco. Car *not* driveable. It's been two weeks and I'm still waiting for parts. $4k in repairs, plus having to rent a car for who knows how long. Insurance will cover some but not all of that, but it'd be nice if Tesla could speed things up so this sucks a little less.
So, now Tesla tells me it may take a total of 2-3 MONTHS to get all the replacement glass and parts for my broken side windows. (It's been a little over a month thus far). In other words, it may take longer to fix two windows than it took to build the entire car.

Plus, insurance will only cover 20 days of a rental car. So, in the meantime, I'm paying to lease a car I can't drive *and* the full cost of a rental car, because of Tesla's curious inventory management? Plus, I'm not getting much love on the possibility of a loaner. (They're trying, but it doesn't sound too promising).

I'm a pretty huge Tesla fan - especially after I got the first after-market ludicrous upgrade in the US. I LOVE my P85D. My lease is up in three months, and I'd love to get a P100D. But it's getting harder to dismiss the handling of this window issue in connection with that decision. :sadtrombone:

ALSO, if you live in a prone to break windshields area like me, why not just order a new one on spec that youll need a new one soon and store it in the box? Then you're not waiting once you reach your personal tolerance limit of cracks.

Even if you end up selling the car put the glass in if the old has any blems, its the first thing dealers do to resell cars.., clear glass, new tires, and around here they also repaint hoods to get rid of rock chips in paint. They have it down to a science.. or sell the new glass with the car, uninstalled. It's 700 value.
All of the many times I have had windshields replaced, they've been covered by insurance. I wouldn't want to buy a windshield when insurance will pay for it.

They come in a cardboard package, not wooden.

FYI it is possible to de-crate the windshield and stow it in rear of model S with seats down, with careful handling and supportive packing back there.

Local installer was cheap putting it in and excellent job. I think he bid low to get the job to say he does Teslas. Will go back there.

New windshield has more noticeable star burst pattern around lights at night, as compared to 2014 original.

Only Tesla makes these things, and yes glass shops hate working with Tesla for getting them and prefer you do the buying and arranging delivery yourself.

It costs about 300 to ship from Service Center to me 200 miles away, so I drove to get it and packed it home. Not recommended for the faint of heart or clumsy types.

New glass seems harder than original has taken many ooud rock hits and so far no cracks or goose eggs.
I had the windshield replaced in my 2016 last year and noticed the ghosting also.

So, now Tesla tells me it may take a total of 2-3 MONTHS to get all the replacement glass and parts for my broken side windows. (It's been a little over a month thus far). In other words, it may take longer to fix two windows than it took to build the entire car.

Plus, insurance will only cover 20 days of a rental car. So, in the meantime, I'm paying to lease a car I can't drive *and* the full cost of a rental car, because of Tesla's curious inventory management? Plus, I'm not getting much love on the possibility of a loaner. (They're trying, but it doesn't sound too promising).

I'm a pretty huge Tesla fan - especially after I got the first after-market ludicrous upgrade in the US. I LOVE my P85D. My lease is up in three months, and I'd love to get a P100D. But it's getting harder to dismiss the handling of this window issue in connection with that decision. :sadtrombone:
[smippy] hey but they can land two rockets at the same time[/snippy]

This is ridiculous. How are they going to service a new fleet of Model 3s, and oh by the way, move on to the Y, pickup and the Semi? Ghah i wish they would just slow down and
take care of the current owners. It's painful to read this. I had a windshield crack on my way to the office a couple years ago. Called insurance and safelite about 9am.
At lunchtime the same day, I was signing off on the newly installed windshield at work. 4 hours, done deal. How it should be.

I’d advise every single one of you to use the executive escalation function in your Tesla account. Might be pissing into the wind in terms of effectiveness, but they need to hear loud and clear every time this happens if anything is ever going to change.

Reactions: KyleDay
Okay I've been waiting almost 2 months now for a new Model S side mirror, and I haven't been able to drive it at all. With everyone's advice, I escalated it through MyTesla and they contacted me and said that they escalated it to the regional parts manager. It's been a few days and still nothing. I emailed them back and they apologized for the lack of response and they escalated it again. I ordered the part at the beginning of April and now it's almost the end of May... I just need that one side mirror assembly, I'm contemplating just buying a salvaged part at this point.

And just my luck, our Model X windshield was hit by a rock on the freeway and cracked. Looks like I'm going to have to wait for that one too. Called Tesla Service, they said they hope to have the part "soon".

C'mon Tesla, this is pretty bad...

[smippy] hey but they can land two rockets at the same time[/snippy]

This is ridiculous. How are they going to service a new fleet of Model 3s, and oh by the way, move on to the Y, pickup and the Semi? Ghah i wish they would just slow down and
take care of the current owners. It's painful to read this. I had a windshield crack on my way to the office a couple years ago. Called insurance and safelite about 9am.
At lunchtime the same day, I was signing off on the newly installed windshield at work. 4 hours, done deal. How it should be.
Annnnnnnd, I'm still waiting for my car (initial damage was March 15, 2018 - nearly 2.5 months ago). That said, Tesla did get the parts about two weeks ago, which is to say that all subsequent delays were not their fault (namely, body shop and insurance company). I'll also say that Tesla worked with me to give a loaner for over a month, but that took an incredible amount of begging and crying on my part.

Since you're paying for that "financing" whether you use it or not, I prefer to have them pay for the windshield.
I suppose insurance works differently in different places. My insurance premium would immediately go up $300-500 a year if I made a claim for a $1200 windshield, plus my homeowner's insurance for both houses would go up several hundred dollars per year because I have now shown a tendency to make insurance claims.

These horror stories are so contrary to my experience.

I had a stress fracture in my windshield that just appeared overnight while parked in my garage. I drove over to the Las Vegas service center that morning and they decided it was due to an installation flaw and promised to replace it free of charge. That afternoon a 3rd party glass installer called to make an appointment. The next morning they arrived at my house and replaced the windshield. Took all of 45 minutes.

I don’t understand how experiences with Tesla service can vary so greatly.