Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Waiting for an Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm 23 yo, I have a utilitarian car from 6 years. I'm not rich but I would like change my car. My dream is a Tesla Roadster but I can't afford, like I can't afford a new Model S performance/X. However I'm thinking to buy a Model S used performance 85D (771 cv) used (2015 with AP1). I would like spend max 38.000€- What's your opinion?
I can wait also a X used from 40.000€- The price's going down in Europe.

Tell me your opinion

Cheers

Ah, to be young again and to make the mistakes that teach you lessons that last a lifetime.

You don't need the Ludicrous nor Performance models. In fact, after a few times, you may rarely use them. Yes, I cranked it up and launched every light "just because" at the start, but staggered tires get annoying (not necessarily expensive later in life) to swap out. And later on, so do performance tires when you start driving a lot - but you buy quality here as it's the contact patch that you're driving on that will save your life at some point in time.

Save your money, gain a few years, and then pick up that car of your dreams. What you'll realize later on is that cars do change, improve and your ability to afford them as well.

This is my question. What's the most the riskiest part?
There are a dozen or so “not particularly uncommon” part failures or wear items that I can think of off the top of my head in the 1000 to 3000 Euro range.

Battery coolant heater
Charge port
Half shafts
AC compressor
DC-DC converter
Onboard charger
Air suspension
Cooling louvers in the front bumper

… etc etc. Hell, even a windshield is 1000+.

I'm 23 yo, I have a utilitarian car from 6 years. I'm not rich but I would like change my car. My dream is a Tesla Roadster but I can't afford, like I can't afford a new Model S performance/X. However I'm thinking to buy a Model S used performance 85D (771 cv) used (2015 with AP1). I would like spend max 38.000€- What's your opinion?
I can wait also a X used from 40.000€- The price's going down in Europe.

Tell me your opinion

Cheers

Having driven extensively in Italy(my wife is from Italy) I can say I would rather have a used Model 3 or Model Y. I do well in Rome and in the mountains and on the Amalfi Coast. On the other hand, I have never driven a car the size of my MS in any of those places. Maybe you will use yours exclusively on the Autostrada?;)

Avendo guidato molto in Italia (mia moglie è italiana) posso dire che preferirei una Model 3 usata o una Model Y. Mi trovo bene a Roma, in montagne ed in Costiera Amalfitana. D'altra parte, non ho mai guidato un'auto delle dimensioni della mia MS in nessuno di quei posti. Forse utilizzerai il tuo esclusivamente in Autostrada?;)