Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Waiting for body repair parts - any suggestions?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'll start off by saying the this minor fender bender was 100% my fault. While entering a parking garage I cut the wheel a but too tightly and rubbed the drivers side against a steel bollard set into the concrete floor of the garage. Ouch to my beautiful P90D. A lovely new crease down the side - the aluminum sheetmetal folded like an empty coke can. Minor problems with latching the falcon wing door confirmed that I had done a wonderful low speed number on my prized Model X. This was back in April - my insurance company was great, we found an authorized Tesla body shop close by and off my car went on a flatbed to them two days later. We had to rent an ICE SUV as a replacement to get the kids back and forth to school etc., but I was OK with it and hopeful that we would have the X back within a month or so. I had heard that repairs can take longer than the average automobile. The rental from the insurance ran out a month ago (early June) so, I sighed and continued to wait ...... and wait ... and wait... Well, you get the point. So far we are at 2 1/2 months since the car made it to the bodyshop.

The net of it is that Everyone, from the insurance adjuster to the bodyshop is blaming Tesla for the extended delays in getting parts. They claim zero info from Tesla about when to expect the parts or even a backorder ship date. Had I known about this earlier, I would have made different arrangements for my substitute SUV. It's fine Tesla - I forgive you for being shy on parts at this stage of the growth of the Company but not so much on being Top Secret - Need To Know on the parts information. Not what I expected from you.

Will post updates here as news comes available.

You reminded me that I need to follow up with the body shop tomorrow. I sent them pictures via email with my contact info, and nothing. Maybe the person who normally deals with these things is on vacation or something. Who knows? Both repair places that are closest to me are over two hours away. I've been so busy running my kids to and fro that I lost track of this! I'm sure if it had been more damage I would be on it a little harder.

An update to my earlier post from last month - as of today - I have been in constant contact with Body Shop Support, my Insurer, the Shop and my Agent. Almost at the 4 month mark since the fender bender and no model X in my driveway.

Car is still awaiting parts and Tesla support Finally admitted TODAY (after three emails from me over as many weeks) that indeed they have not yet shipped out the required part to complete the repair. No timetable was given - nor was any further detail about the part included in the reply email to me from Body Shop Support. Interestingly, I had asked in my email to Tesla if there was a specific individual supervisor or Manager to escalate this matter to, since the emails come back addressed as From "Body Shop Support" with no further contact info given. This question was not answered in their reply to me.

Starting to become quite disappointed in Tesla's commitment to Owners - unfortunate and unnecessary. Body Shop Support should be candid when they are out of stock - parts on backorder etc. - Customers should NEVER be given the runaround or bad information to try and deflect the problem from Tesla. Not a good long term strategy.

An update to my earlier post from last month - as of today - I have been in constant contact with Body Shop Support, my Insurer, the Shop and my Agent. Almost at the 4 month mark since the fender bender and no model X in my driveway.

Car is still awaiting parts and Tesla support Finally admitted TODAY (after three emails from me over as many weeks) that indeed they have not yet shipped out the required part to complete the repair. No timetable was given - nor was any further detail about the part included in the reply email to me from Body Shop Support. Interestingly, I had asked in my email to Tesla if there was a specific individual supervisor or Manager to escalate this matter to, since the emails come back addressed as From "Body Shop Support" with no further contact info given. This question was not answered in their reply to me.

Starting to become quite disappointed in Tesla's commitment to Owners - unfortunate and unnecessary. Body Shop Support should be candid when they are out of stock - parts on backorder etc. - Customers should NEVER be given the runaround or bad information to try and deflect the problem from Tesla. Not a good long term strategy.

Man, those 400,000+ Model 3 owners will start a riot in Fremont if this keeps up.

Man, those 400,000+ Model 3 owners will start a riot in Fremont if this keeps up.
This is what I said on a post a few weeks ago and all the cheerleaders who drank the Tesla Kool Aid jumped on me. I still stand by my statement that Tesla will not suceed as an auto company if this nonsense continues. If people cant get parts they will stop buying their cars.

Reactions: Darren Donovan
Why not just keep driving this car until the parts arrive??
--
The falcon wing door wouldn't stay shut and I had no idea that the parts required would take forever and a day. According to the Tesla Certified/Authorized Body Shop (who I assumed would have a clue about this) the original estimate for repair completion was just less than a month - primarily due to slow parts support from Tesla.

> The falcon wing door wouldn't stay shut and I had no idea that the parts required would take forever and a day. [fixerny]

I've never seen a FWD in person but isn't there some way to rope it shut in case of latch failure?

TM should issue yet another page at purchase stating buyer's right to 'take the car home after a minor collision' as opposed to the default: 'owner to yield to whatever whim' springs to mind of:

1. tow operator
2. insurance co
3. Tesla Service

There is nothing magical about repairing a Tesla - Everything Takes Forever.
--

A further update from yesterday - from the Tesla Authorized Body shop - "Once we had the vehicle back together there was an issue with the door seal. The door wasn't aligning and it was causing too much noise inside the vehicle. We are ordering several new parts from Tesla and have put in a rush request."

I am posting a photo of the car so that members of the forum can take into context the scope of the damage. I am not proud to say I have had a few other dents and dings in my decades of driving but I never waited longer than a week or so to get a car repaired from minor body damage. FYI - the repair estimate has been exceeded twice now - my Insurance Company adjuster has agreed with both increases, but I am still on the hook for the deductible. Reviews of the body shop from owners of other maker's vehicles were all generally positive and I do not believe as of this writing that the 4+ months of delays are all the shop's fault. I do believe that the combination of Tesla's parts supplies, technical support for body shops (particularly on the falcon wing doors) and perhaps scarce resources of time and talent have all contributed to this now extensive delay.

Super disappointing news to me. As huge a fan as I am about the Company, Vehicle and the Technology - I am having very serious concerns about relying on a car that takes this long for a minor repair.

As of this writing there is no time estimate from the Tesla Authorized Body Shop, nor has Body Shop Support done anything to expedite this matter or even reach out after numerous emails. The only replies I get from them are from an anonymous email address signed Body Shop Support Team - that offer very little in terms of dates, updates on parts deliveries or any other form of assistance - my last email asking to actually speak to someone in a supervisory capacity was not answered in the affirmative. Tesla has stumbled badly on this part of Owner Assistance. Not cool for a nearly $150,000 car.

Will keep updating as the situation warrants.

IMG_5493 2.JPG

As a new X 90D owner, this is really disappointing. I love Tesla, but I have little faith the slow parts issue will get corrected soon because it seems like it's been a consistent issue since the company started selling cars.

That being said, holy smokes! You really did a number on the side of the car. Did you just keep driving after you hit the bollard? :p

A further update - Car still in the Authorized TESLA Body Shop, still waiting for parts, still no update OR response from Body Shop Support on my prior emails........

However, earlier this week I took the initiative to track down the direct email for a very Senior Officer of TSLA (no not Him) and sent off a fairly lengthy and descriptive email about this situation. To my utter surprise, he responded directly within 20 minutes of my sending it off to him - promising to look into the situation and get back to me. Wish his employees would do the same.

I will follow up with him by mid next week and report back.

Final - My Model X was returned earlier this week - repaired and ready to roll. Several communications between me and various senior folks at TESLA escalated the problem - but I think it was already in the wrap up stage by that point.

Quite the saga over the past 6 months, and I can't say with any certainty that my missives to senior TESLA officials will have any bearing on this, but let's hope that the situation for body repairs gets better over time. This is critical if you are going to support 500,000 owners (or more) in the next three years.

Oh and for context - total tab for what I consider to be a minor scrape - $23,000. My insurance company paid most of it, thankfully, and it goes without saying that I will be super careful from here on out!