Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Waiting for Delivery.....Random Questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Guys,

I'm waiting on my Model 3 Performance to be delivered. I had never even been in a Tesla prior to my test drive. I ASSUMED that the car had a few features, just based on its price, but I am questioning it based on the 8 million posts/videos I have read/watched while waiting on my car. My 10 year oldo_O advisor/Tesla guy was super nice, but he didn't know anything more about the car than I did. Here are my questions:

1) Does the car REALLY not come with Homelink to open the garage door? I mean....really? 58K and no garage door opener? It's supposed to be a super computer on wheels and it can't open a garage door without some additional money and hardware. If that's the case, "wow" is all I can say.
2) No 360 degree camera view for parking? I thought it had 8 cameras, or something like that. I just assumed it would have the 360 view. Again, all my BMWs had it. The price....about the same!
3) No heated steering wheel? In all fairness, I was aware of this, but still!
4) No self parallel parking? From what I have read, that feature is only part of the full self driving package which I did not buy. $10,000 is just too much for what you get, at least at this point. Still, once again, my BMW did auto self parking, I just assumed that the car would do this.

Super excited about the car, just a little disappointed that some of these tech features seem to be left off a car that's supposed to be one of the most technologically advanced on the road.

Todd

1. Yep, doesn't come with Homelink, you pay have to about $300 to get it installed. Only early Model 3s had it included.
2. No 360 degree camera view for parking, the cameras are not designed for parking use, it's made for autopilot purposes. Elon did state it will be implemented at some point, but we don't know when exactly.
3. No heated steering wheel for now, they might implement it at some point, some rumors said Chinese Model 3s have it recently.
4. Yes, autopark is part of the FSD package (or EAP, but no longer available for purchase).

Which BMW did you come from?

I believe they dropped homelink due to the growth of smart garage door openers, lots of people just dont need it so its better to be an option and make the car slightly cheaper.
I also think that a 360 view is possible with the current cameras, and will be added in a future update.

1. Yep, doesn't come with Homelink, you pay have to about $300 to get it installed. Only early Model 3s had it included.
2. No 360 degree camera view for parking, the cameras are not designed for parking use, it's made for autopilot purposes. Elon did state it will be implemented at some point, but we don't know when exactly.
3. No heated steering wheel for now, they might implement it at some point, some rumors said Chinese Model 3s have it recently.
4. Yes, autopark is part of the FSD package (or EAP, but no longer available for purchase).

Which BMW did you come from?

2016 M4 Convertible

Yeah....I think the car I drove had EAP, and I was told that's what my car would have. However, that does not appear to be the case. My order only says "autopilot".

So this begs the question....what will the "subscription" to FSD cost?

Which doesn't make a whole lot of sense if it is, it could be possible if he means FSD rewrite.

Well....this would be complete BS. If you want a 360 degree camera view, you have to pay $10,000???? This is the kind of stuff you can do to your customers when you essentially have no competition. However, that won't last forever.

Article about that
Tesla to offer bird’s eye view through Autopilot camera in FSD package - Electrek

Elon also said that rewrited FSD use 360 view for driving. They are using neural to create this view because those cameras currently not really are covering 360.

You’ll forget about points 3, 1, 4, and 2 the first time you mash on the throttle. ;)

Recommendation: mash the throttle the first time only when you’re at 90%+ SoC. (to get the full effect) :D
I'm pretty sure you are right. That's why I bought it! However, I'll forget those things UNTIL:
1) It's cold and the car has been outside. (Heated Steering Wheel)
2) I pull up to the garage door and have to go in the house to open the door; or the the first time I look at the ugly garage door transmitter sitting out in my new Tesla. (Homelink)
3) I run over something the kids left in the garage floor (360 camera).
4) Seriously....I never even used that feature in the BMW, so I won't miss it. I'll just be annoyed that my old car had tech features my new car does not have (Parallel Park Assist).

I'll end up paying the $300.00 for Homelink. I'll HOPE the heated steering wheel hardware will be in the car. Maybe I will get lucky and some day they will add the 360 camera. None of these are deal breakers, just cool stuff I expected a near 60K car to have as standard equipment. Of those 4 "issues", the only thing I really, REALLY want is the heated steering wheel!

• Disagree
Reactions: Gasaraki
I'm pretty sure you are right. That's why I bought it! However, I'll forget those things UNTIL:
1) It's cold and the car has been outside. (Heated Steering Wheel)
2) I pull up to the garage door and have to go in the house to open the door; or the the first time I look at the ugly garage door transmitter sitting out in my new Tesla. (Homelink)
3) I run over something the kids left in the garage floor (360 camera).
4) Seriously....I never even used that feature in the BMW, so I won't miss it. I'll just be annoyed that my old car had tech features my new car does not have (Parallel Park Assist).

I'll end up paying the $300.00 for Homelink. I'll HOPE the heated steering wheel hardware will be in the car. Maybe I will get lucky and some day they will add the 360 camera. None of these are deal breakers, just cool stuff I expected a near 60K car to have as standard equipment. Of those 4 "issues", the only thing I really, REALLY want is the heated steering wheel!

An alternate solution to #1 would be preheating the inside of the car before you go in, you can do that with your smartphone by adjusting the desired temperature to your liking.

Guys,

I'm waiting on my Model 3 Performance to be delivered. I had never even been in a Tesla prior to my test drive. I ASSUMED that the car had a few features, just based on its price, but I am questioning it based on the 8 million posts/videos I have read/watched while waiting on my car. My 10 year oldo_O advisor/Tesla guy was super nice, but he didn't know anything more about the car than I did. Here are my questions:

1) Does the car REALLY not come with Homelink to open the garage door? I mean....really? 58K and no garage door opener? It's supposed to be a super computer on wheels and it can't open a garage door without some additional money and hardware. If that's the case, "wow" is all I can say.
2) No 360 degree camera view for parking? I thought it had 8 cameras, or something like that. I just assumed it would have the 360 view. Again, all my BMWs had it. The price....about the same!
3) No heated steering wheel? In all fairness, I was aware of this, but still!
4) No self parallel parking? From what I have read, that feature is only part of the full self driving package which I did not buy. $10,000 is just too much for what you get, at least at this point. Still, once again, my BMW did auto self parking, I just assumed that the car would do this.

Super excited about the car, just a little disappointed that some of these tech features seem to be left off a car that's supposed to be one of the most technologically advanced on the road.

Todd

1) No but purchaseable. It's in the Tesla store. Buy it and schedule the install on your mobile app.
2) Soon. But only vector 3D overhead view.
3) Yes. 2021s have heat steering wheel?
4) If you have FSD. But really?

An alternate solution to #1 would be preheating the inside of the car before you go in, you can do that with your smartphone by adjusting the desired temperature to your liking.

I've read all about pre-conditioning. Having had a heated wheel in several of my other cars (even our mini-van has it !?), warming the cabin air is no substitute. When it's bitter cold outside, it feels soooo good to wrap your hands around a heated wheel. I bet most people who live in a place where it gets cold, and have had a heated wheel, would agree!

1) No but purchaseable. It's in the Tesla store. Buy it and schedule the install on your mobile app.
2) Soon. But only vector 3D overhead view.
3) Yes. 2021s have heat steering wheel?
4) If you have FSD. But really?

1) Yeah....I'll end up spending MORE money on this car.
2) Well...I don't care how they do it IF they include it WITHOUT FSD.
3) I hope you are correct. I have not seen it confirmed that US built Model 3s will have it. Again....I'd love it if you are right!
4) Lazy? No. Incompetent? Maybe. I RARELY have occasion to parallel park. Like maybe 5 times in my entire lifetime. BUT....my much older/cheaper BMW could do it, AND it's really nice for the car to do all the calculations when the spot it tight! I just expected my new Tesla to out tech my much older BMW and, well.....in this case....it can't.....unless I pay another $10,000?

I've read all about pre-conditioning. Having had a heated wheel in several of my other cars (even our mini-van has it !?), warming the cabin air is no substitute. When it's bitter cold outside, it feels soooo good to wrap your hands around a heated wheel. I bet most people who live in a place where it gets cold, and have had a heated wheel, would agree!

Fear not, young Jedi. The next batch of 2021’s being delivered in the US have heated steering wheels.

1) Yeah....I'll end up spending MORE money on this car.
2) Well...I don't care how they do it IF they include it WITHOUT FSD.
3) I hope you are correct. I have not seen it confirmed that US built Model 3s will have it. Again....I'd love it if you are right!
4) Lazy? No. Incompetent? Maybe. I RARELY have occasion to parallel park. Like maybe 5 times in my entire lifetime. BUT....my much older/cheaper BMW could do it, AND it's really nice for the car to do all the calculations when the spot it tight! I just expected my new Tesla to out tech my much older BMW and, well.....in this case....it can't.....unless I pay another $10,000?
Maybe you should wait for the i4 ///M or ///Mi4 whatever they’ll call it.

Reactions: Ron_M3 and Gasaraki
For far less than $300, I'd get wifi garage door controller and either use phone to open, or IFTTT geofence to phone -- thus getting the added benefit of being able to check, open, or close door from out of town, and allow access for deliveries etc. But, if you want Homelink, just get it. I'm sure $300 wouldn't have changed your purchase decision!

Understand reluctance to pay $10k for FSD today. It will be interesting to see if - once FSD has fuller functionality - they migrate some of the functionality into base AP over time (such as self parking), or introduce an "intermediate" level of AP as a revenue generator for say $2k. Given all of the changes in packaging and pricing of AP over the years, I would not be shocked.

The other stuff... well... you picks your car and you makes your choices. Sour grapes after the fact seem kind of embarassing to me - like you didn't do your homework? Or is it just cold feet or waiting for car anxiety? Relax, you'll love the car.

Reactions: Ron_M3