Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Waiting for Delivery.....Random Questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm pretty sure you are right. That's why I bought it! However, I'll forget those things UNTIL:
1) It's cold and the car has been outside. (Heated Steering Wheel)
2) I pull up to the garage door and have to go in the house to open the door; or the the first time I look at the ugly garage door transmitter sitting out in my new Tesla. (Homelink)
3) I run over something the kids left in the garage floor (360 camera).
4) Seriously....I never even used that feature in the BMW, so I won't miss it. I'll just be annoyed that my old car had tech features my new car does not have (Parallel Park Assist).

I'll end up paying the $300.00 for Homelink. I'll HOPE the heated steering wheel hardware will be in the car. Maybe I will get lucky and some day they will add the 360 camera. None of these are deal breakers, just cool stuff I expected a near 60K car to have as standard equipment. Of those 4 "issues", the only thing I really, REALLY want is the heated steering wheel!
1) Your hands will be gripping the steering wheel extremely hard to notice due to the shear thrust of the car.
2) You won’t want to put the car away anyway.
3) See answer #2
4) If a person needs parallel assist, should they really be driving a Performance?

J/P :D All in good fun!

• Funny
Reactions: 1.21Jigawatts
1) Your hands will be gripping the steering wheel extremely hard to notice due to the shear thrust of the car.
2) You won’t want to put the car away anyway.
3) See answer #2
4) If a person needs parallel assist, should they really be driving a Performance?

J/P :D All in good fun!
..... I know
1) Yeah.....I know....probably right
2) See #1
3) See #1
4) I've been to many a race track as both a driver and a spectator and NEVER have I had to parallel park!

Don’t buy it then. The cancellation process is easy and they return the deposit quite quickly.

If there was competition for this kind of performance at this price, I might consider it. Unfortunately, this is pretty much the only option. Even the i4 mentioned below is not slated to match the range/performance of the Model 3P. But I bet the i4 will have a heated steering wheel ;) Also....not a fan of the front end of the i4.

I'm not sure what you mean? I thought they did away with Enhanced Auto Pilot and that only the basic autopilot (traffic aware cruise, auto brake, auto steer in same lane) was included?
I am living in Europe and they added now EAP option also. So you get free this normal AP and then you can buy there EAP or FSD package.

https://www.tesla.com/de_de/model3/design

Seems that this not apply in US.

Go ahead an order Homelink while waiting for your M3 to arrive (Model 3/Y Automatic Garage Opener). I too just assumed Homelink was included since every car I've bought since about 2000 had it as standard. Had I known I would have ordered it prior to delivery of my M3. Once we received the unit we schedule for an at home installation (on a Sunday!). You might want to check with whatever delivery center your M3 will be arriving at. It might be possible to have the install done right there at the time of delivery.

I've got a wifi enabled garage but I didn't want to pull my phone out every time I wanted to open/close the garage. The MyQ app is notoriously slow to load and will often require you to reenter your username/password. Plus the automatic feature of the homelink works great for me. It closes the garage automatically and I have the auto open set to 100ft (long driveway) so the garage is pretty much fully open by the time I reach it. I'm amazed how happy saving a single button push can make me :).

From my understanding there's not just a parts cost to homelink but a licensing cost as well. Just for the unit to exist in a vehicle the auto mfg has to pay a licensing fee to Homelink. I can understand a mfg not wanting to install it on every car that goes down the line.

1) I use my standard Homelink transmitter, it's okay even though I could pay $300 to install one in Tesla, but what's the point.
2) With 3 cameras on screen and a sensor field graphics around the car I'm not sure if 360 view would really add anything, but it may eventually arrive as an update.
3) If you are lucky, Tesla starts putting heated wheels in their cars before your delivery .... but not very likely.
4) I would not trust a car to park for me yet, any car. Also, parking function on Teslas seem to be not good anyway.

Curious where you live? I'm in NH, my car is in my garage always plugged in. During the winter I've gotten used to turning on the climate control 15min before I go anywhere. The car heats up fast and the lack of a heated wheel is no big deal, it's totally warm by the time I get inside. Also, the battery is cold and it's nice to heat that up a bit such that you don't lose the regeneration capacity. Both heat up when you turn on the climate control from your phone.....easy peasy. Now, if your car sits outside and gets significantly colder, and isn't plugged in outside....yeah, then I'd want a heated wheel.

The Homelink is no big deal....there's a license fee involved and Tesla saved a bunch by not putting it in every car. Just buy the stupid thing.

You will see, driving this car brings back the excitement you had when you first got your license. My previous three cars were all Audi's, two of them TT's.....those things were a blast to drive. My Model 3 makes them feel like donkey carts....honestly. I've had the car 2.5 years, and I still laugh out loud every time I take off from a stop. It's just a freaking blast to drive, don't waste your time on regrets.

I've read all about pre-conditioning. Having had a heated wheel in several of my other cars (even our mini-van has it !?), warming the cabin air is no substitute. When it's bitter cold outside, it feels soooo good to wrap your hands around a heated wheel. I bet most people who live in a place where it gets cold, and have had a heated wheel, would agree!

Keep in mind that one big difference between your Tesla and your other cars is that because there is no gauge cluster right behind the steering wheel, the long continuous air vent that runs the length of the dash also runs right behind the steering wheel. So when you preheat the cabin, the hot air can be directed at and through the steering wheel. Yes, this is not as effective as a heating element built into the wheel itself, but on the cold mornings where I live, I have noticed an improvement over my last ICE car.

• Helpful
Reactions: Phlier