Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Waiting for my Tesla up in Canada

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Model S 85D. Black. 19" regular rims. Panoramic sunroof. Autopilot and Tech package. 2nd gen leather seats (black) with carbon fibre trim. Interior lighting. Smart air suspension and sub zero features (Canadian...obviously).

Been following Tesla since the Roadster days. Loved everything they are doing in terms of the cars, and mostly the infrastructure of superchargers. Finally decided to pull the trigger and get one.

By the way, how do you set your signature? Tried looking through settings but to no avail.

Thanks for the welcome! Looking forward to it.

Welcome ! Plenty of us Canadians and Toronto area members with a Model S. I'm new too, just got around to my sig (not easy to find even when you hit the post quota ;)

As for driving by gas stations, that sounds like something I'll very much look forward to when jack frost is blowing down Lawrence Ave. But on the other hand I'm told (hasn't needed filling yet) that getting to the washer fluid in the frunk is no fun... Tesla rep suggested we carry a funnel for this. It's bad enough I have to open (well, close) the frunk to get to it. I've decided on twice-a-year Aquapel treatment to minimize the need, so far it's great stuff (even made it into my new sig :biggrin: )

Hi all.

Just ordered my Tesla in Ontario for a mid November delivery. Can't wait. I've been reading these forums for a while now. Just thought I'd post a bit in the anticipation to take that first drive.

How did you find the Tesla this winter? (Although it was a mild one this passed season).

I'm eagerly waiting for my Model X, my first EV. I worry about mileage, especially in the winter months, blasting
heat and dealing with the snow.

Any insights? Any advice for a fellow Canadian?

How did you find the Tesla this winter? (Although it was a mild one this passed season).

I'm eagerly waiting for my Model X, my first EV. I worry about mileage, especially in the winter months, blasting
heat and dealing with the snow.

Any insights? Any advice for a fellow Canadian?

First off, CONGRATS! Waiting is such torture, but it's worth it in the end.

I was also worried about winter driving, but can say that those worries are mostly put to bed. While we didn't have a "horrible" snow storm this year, we had our fair share of snow, ice, sleet, cold weather, etc. The car performed beautifully. I'd highly recommend investing in the winter tires (Nokians is what everyone in this thread highly recommended. I'm pleased with them).

I also found that the car handled very well in the snow and ice weather, especially on the highways. The weight and low centre of gravity really helped driving stability and lane changing in the snow (in my opinion). Cabin temperature is sometimes a bit hard to adjust, but once you get used to the system, you figure out how to get it to where you're comfortable.

The one thing that definitely needs to be said is that once the temperature drops below 5-10 celsius, be ready for a reduction in range. Not only because of the heating of the car, but also simply from the cold weather affecting the battery. Warmer weather, I'll average about 180wh/km; for the winter, I was lucky if it would go below 230wh/km. So just have to be mindful of the reduced range. But in all honesty, it didn't impact my day to day driving. Only worried about it once on a trip to Ottawa.

All said, I'm sure you'll love it!

First off, CONGRATS! Waiting is such torture, but it's worth it in the end.

I was also worried about winter driving, but can say that those worries are mostly put to bed. While we didn't have a "horrible" snow storm this year, we had our fair share of snow, ice, sleet, cold weather, etc. The car performed beautifully. I'd highly recommend investing in the winter tires (Nokians is what everyone in this thread highly recommended. I'm pleased with them).

I also found that the car handled very well in the snow and ice weather, especially on the highways. The weight and low centre of gravity really helped driving stability and lane changing in the snow (in my opinion). Cabin temperature is sometimes a bit hard to adjust, but once you get used to the system, you figure out how to get it to where you're comfortable.

The one thing that definitely needs to be said is that once the temperature drops below 5-10 celsius, be ready for a reduction in range. Not only because of the heating of the car, but also simply from the cold weather affecting the battery. Warmer weather, I'll average about 180wh/km; for the winter, I was lucky if it would go below 230wh/km. So just have to be mindful of the reduced range. But in all honesty, it didn't impact my day to day driving. Only worried about it once on a trip to Ottawa.

All said, I'm sure you'll love it!

You said "mostly" put to bed... Where did you begin your journey from going to Ottawa? Toronto? I assume you made it...

You said "mostly" put to bed... Where did you begin your journey from going to Ottawa? Toronto? I assume you made it...

I said "mostly" because we didn't get a storm at the level where I would be worried about a car getting stuck or anything. So I haven't been able to assess the car's function in that environment.

Started from Mississauga to Ottawa. Drove through a heavy snowfall on the way back and was impressed with the handling of the car.

Model S 85D. Black. 19" regular rims. Panoramic sunroof. Autopilot and Tech package. 2nd gen leather seats (black) with carbon fibre trim. Interior lighting. Smart air suspension and sub zero features (Canadian...obviously).

Been following Tesla since the Roadster days. Loved everything they are doing in terms of the cars, and mostly the infrastructure of superchargers. Finally decided to pull the trigger and get one.

By the way, how do you set your signature? Tried looking through settings but to no avail.

Thanks for the welcome! Looking forward to it.

Great to see more and more Canadian Tesla owners :) Have you visited the Barrie Supercharger yet?

Haven't been up north with it yet! Was actually trying to see somewhere to travel up to for a night this long weekend. So will hopefully stop off at Barrie. How is the location?

It's fantastic! We have 8 stalls... I have never personally seen more than four charging at a time. We have many stores and restaurants close by... Writing them all down would take all night! Here is a link to their website where yo can see everything available: Park Place Barrie | Shop. Dine. Unwind.