Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Waiting for Tax Credit to come back?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I decided on a Tesla even though we have an ICE car for long trips. But I still wanted to be able to drive to Houston on occasion. I live in deep south Texas, right on the Rio Grande, and the only public fast chargers are Tesla Superchargers. In other words, none of the others, such as Electrify America, Charge Point etc. have chargers south of San Antonio - Houston.

Go to www.plugshare.com and then post.

• Funny
Reactions: ElectricIAC
Go to www.plugshare.com and then post.

Be happy to.

Plugshare Snip.jpg

I live in McAllen - way down at the bottom, across the river from Reynosa, Mexico. At the top right is Houston (the name is blotted out, but you can see Pearland, a southern suburb. San Antonio is at the top left.

If I want to drive to Houston, there are three DC fast chargers: Kingsville, Victoria and Richmond (a southern suburb of Houston.) If I want to drive to San Antonio, there is one fast charging station at Three Rivers.

All of those are Tesla Superchargers - there are no other companies with DC fast chargers.

The tax credit is a double edge sword. If you buy a car with a tax credit the resell value is automatically reduced by the value of the federal tax credit as soon as you drive off the lot. With the 3 having one of the best resale values among any car, adding the tax credit break would hamper resale value. I am hoping for the same stellar resell value that you get with the three for our Y’s.

Besides Ford will need that tax break to sell the Mach E due to the fact that Tesla is a decade ahead of everyone else.

The only manufacturer that would benefit from Fed Tax credit "coming back" is Tesla. The credit incentive is not "expired". It is only exhausted for Tesla at 400k. So why would law maker bring it back or increase quota when only one company has achieved the max sales quota. there will be so much scrutiny from other auto makers.

Last edited:
Tesla is already the largest automaker on planet earth multiple times over by market cap. Not sure how any politician would be able to sell another US Federal tax credit specifically helping Tesla. Tesla literally proves that the EV tax credit program worked as intended and they no longer need it.

Conceivably you could see something additional on a temporary basis for all automakers due to the pandemic, but it would be on top of what's already there so don't expect it to be huge. Maybe another cash for clunkers or something along those lines, but I wouldn't get your hopes up.

• Funny
I’m holding off until 01/01/2021 to VIN match.
So if something gets done in 2021 I’ll be able to claim it.

Same with us. In the meantime, we're holding out for a RWD version and a little more time will bring improved quality.

Not sure why some here are so passionate about disagreeing with you. We're more than happy to give it a little more time. It's a bet that cost nothing to place and has a pretty good upside if it hits. It's least worth waiting until we see how the election goes.

Reactions: imola.zhp
The only manufacturer that would benefit from Fed Tax credit "coming back" is Tesla. The credit incentive is not "expired". It is only exhausted for Tesla at 400k. So why would law maker bring it back or increase quota when only one company has achieved the max sales quota. there will be so much scrutiny from other auto makers.
It would also benefit GM as they also passed 200K qualifying vehicles sold in the US and went thru all phases of the phaseout, like Tesla but a bit later.

See Federal Tax Credits for Electric and Plug-in Hybrid Cars.

For the OP, I wouldn't hold your breath for it count on it. Even if it were somehow to go thru via Biden + a blue wave, our govt is pretty slow I suspect it might take awhile to go into effect. And, our country has MUCH bigger fish to fry right now w/~20 million people who are still out of work since the pandemic began. They really need help first.

• Funny
One possibility for getting a tax credit would be to create a separate brand, like Cyber, independent from Tesla, to sell the CyberTruck.
This is exactly what Polestar and Volvo are doing:

Polestar 2 and Volvo XC40 Recharge: R&D chief on two EVs from the same braintrust
Just after the rollout in Los Angeles, Green Car Reports interviewed Henrik Green, the chief technology officer for the Volvo Car Group,
and its head of research and development operations, about what some of those similarities and differences might be.

When it comes to battery technology, efficiency, current that we draw, power, etc.,
these are completely identical—the same team has tuned them both.”
I highly doubt other brands would help as means of skirting the system. Polestar and Volvo are still under the Volvo/Geely arm. Plug In Electric Vehicle Credit IRC 30 and IRC 30D | Internal Revenue Service talks about manufacturers.

It sure didn't help GM with Chevy + Cadillac with their EVs and PHEVs. They hit the limit and phaseout to $0 awhile ago. They can't just start selling a whole bunch of GMC, Cadillac and Buick (for exmaple) EVs/PHEV to get the full $7500 Federal tax credit on those or rebrand the Chevy Bolt as one of those...