Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Waiting for trade in value

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

StephanB

The usual suspect
Oct 28, 2019
NC
How long did it take you to get a trade in value for your Tesla? I submitted my existing Tesla as part of my new order. Took pics and sent it in.
It's been a couple of days now, but I'm an impatient bastard 🤷‍♂️😁

ETA: Interesting. They seemed to have pulled the existing balance of my current Tesla loan into the cost of the vehicle already 👀

Last edited:
Hi - hope its ok to tail onto this thread. I got my trade in value about 2 days after entering the info. I was not asked for pictures or anything in process - except stuff like VIN, condition, color etc. The trade came back at 4000-5000 below what I would get from Carvana or Carmax. I was a bit taken aback as I figured if it would be close or worst case a 1000 - 2000 lower which would be fine for me due to knocking down tax by about 1200 and more than anything - convenience of not dealing with 2 companies or being without a car for a few days. Are other folks getting a similar deal? I did call them but they directed me to local office (all folks there are always nice) but not really anyone with an explanation but said they would check with headquarters.

Might be a first world problem - but asking anyway for info.

Reactions: voxel
Hi - hope its ok to tail onto this thread. I got my trade in value about 2 days after entering the info. I was not asked for pictures or anything in process - except stuff like VIN, condition, color etc. The trade came back at 4000-5000 below what I would get from Carvana or Carmax. I was a bit taken aback as I figured if it would be close or worst case a 1000 - 2000 lower which would be fine for me due to knocking down tax by about 1200 and more than anything - convenience of not dealing with 2 companies or being without a car for a few days. Are other folks getting a similar deal? I did call them but they directed me to local office (all folks there are always nice) but not really anyone with an explanation but said they would check with headquarters.

Might be a first world problem - but asking anyway for info.

Tesla offering fairly low trade in values to people is a pretty consistent report here. They are not really in the used car business, and take most used cars as a convenience for the person trading in, so many times they price it to be "worth their time".

Occasionally people report they get trade in values that are "close", but what you are saying has been reported by many (many) people, so its not surprising at all.

Tesla offering fairly low trade in values to people is a pretty consistent report here. They are not really in the used car business, and take most used cars as a convenience for the person trading in, so many times they price it to be "worth their time".

Occasionally people report they get trade in values that are "close", but what you are saying has been reported by many (many) people, so its not surprising at all.
Thank you for the information - saves me time pursuing any further with Tesla! Will likely take the Carvana quote. I am anxiously awaiting a VIN and soon will become a Tesla family member!

I got a 2021 SR+ with 3600 miles Tesla give me crap as it is $11000 below kelly BBB and others like online carvana .. Horrible...

I lost on Sales Tax Credit as Trade in Florida

1) Don’t trade your Tesla back to Tesla. They lowball you.
2) Carvana offers have plummeted over the last two months. CarMax and others are vastly better these days.

I’m in the process of trading in also in Florida and the offers from Tesla are pretty underwhelming.

Tesla used to have a central team in Vegas that handled trade ins. I was told that team is gone. Who reached out to you? Submitting trade ins one by one is quite slow.
Someone with a 510 area code (Fremont im asssuming) called me to tell that I should be expecting delivery soon and asked about the trade-in.
I submitted my trade in info twice in the past (before ordering, and a second time few days after ordering) but never got an offer. Im assuming they're only processing offers to those that have an order and will take delivery soon?

I submitted my 2020 Y as a trade two days after I placed my order to include sending the photos, and the app has been showing PENDING ever since. I'm now within 10 days of delivery and still no trade-in offer.

Is this normal, if not who do I contact? I also am financing so sooner or later they will need to collect all the numbers to work up my loan, but the silence from Tesla is frustrating. Oh and I have contacted the Delivery Center and so far crickets.

We are a one-car family and the trade is the easiest route for us plus in IL I get the tax break which could be as high as $4K.