Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Waiting for white.... order

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any advantage in ordering my favourite current colour now and changing the order.

Just incase the free white never materialises or takes months to be implemented ?

You just answered your own question there, lol.

Looking at it the other way round, the only disadvantage in ordering now is that you will tie up your deposit for longer. You will always be able to change your order right up until delivery, so nothing else to lose. Obviously if you do change your order it will almost certainly delay delivery, but as long as you amend your order if/when free white is released then you won't be any worse off.

FWIW I have a current order for a pearl white and will change it to free white if it happens before delivery of this one. That's presuming there are no base price rises in that time. Which is another reason to bung in an order right now. They could well rack up all the prices at any second without warning. Then free white might not look so great!

Reactions: Roy W.
The cynic in me says Elon only tweeted that to encourage people who wanted black to get their orders in before the end of Q2 so he could squeeze in a few extra US deliveries. May not have been ready to do yet. It's not like he doesn't have a history of tweeting rather optimistic timelines for pretty much everything. Are we even sure it is happening at all? Has there been any confirmation of it aside from Elons tweet?

The cynic in me says Elon only tweeted that to encourage people who wanted black to get their orders in before the end of Q2 so he could squeeze in a few extra US deliveries.

But then other people (like the OP here) might hold off and wait for the free white. Works both ways. More likely they've worked out that more people are likely to order a free white than a free black and it might be fractionally cheaper to finish in white.

And there are people here who have said they are sitting tight because they want white and would prefer the "no-charge" shade :)

So probably "evens" ... unless White is really unpopular?
I didn't say it was a smart move, just the timing was suspicious. White paint is also cheaper than any other colour so maybe that is the reason.
I read somewhere (maybe this forum) that in the US white and Black are easily the 2 most popular colours ( or should that be colors :) ) for cars generally but that has more to do with the ordering process in the US for most cars being that the Dealer orders a bunch of cars he thinks he can sell then tries to find buyers, rather than a bespoke ordering process. this means they order a lot of cars in easy to sell colours so it's a bit of a circular logic thing. So what people really like and want is not very clear. Its a case of you can have your car in whatever colour you like so long as it's one the dealer has pre-ordered.

It can't be that hard to make the change surely??
You just switch over the paint drum in some of the spray booths. Yes there will be a few dozen cars come out sort of odd grey colour but they will probably sell for a premium due to rarity!

Just spotted this in the Edinburgh sunshine. Usually not a white fan but it did look very nice indeed!

Attachments

• A0DC0CB6-B6AF-4BEE-902E-B52EFADB1620.jpeg
    A0DC0CB6-B6AF-4BEE-902E-B52EFADB1620.jpeg
    528.5 KB · Views: 289