Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Waiting in Japan for MYP

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, finally posting my "Waiting ..." thread for a Model Y Performance. Ordered September 28, 2022, ETD February to March 2023.

We (my wife and I) are thoroughly enjoying our M3SR+. But when I saw a news clip showing the Model Y finally landing in Yokohama Port, we reserved a test drive at Tesla Kawasaki Lazona showroom. The only real problem with our M3 is ingress/egress. I'm 5'11" and at 66, finding it a chore. Even though the interior is not cramped, my heels are only a few inches below my bottom. We came from a long line of wagons and vans. The opportunity presented itself, so *click*. I'll post some more stories, but in the meantime you can look at some of my Tesla Gaijin antics, as well as what riding a Triumph Bonneville T120 in Japan is like: Tesla Gaijin Channel.

Cheers!

MYP Order 22 09 28.jpg

So waiting just past the 3 month mark, I'm now officially ready to take delivery! Tonight is New Year's Eve, and 2023 is 12 hours away. We got a call from our Tesla Advisor asking if we were really ready to get the car. Hahaha! But I guess a lot of folks back out, or are waiting for the "perfect" moment (Fool's Errand). We are ready! I've a few things I really want on our newer Tesla, foremost is Power Frunk. I installed on the M3 within days, and will do so again if not OEM. The other is 19" wheels and tires. I understand that low-aspect-ratio is "in," but to me they look like the solid rubber "tires" on a forklift. That, and I just think 5-6 spoke wheels look cool :cool: .

I just might be the only one posting this thread, but that's okay ... Japan is a really tiny EV market thus far. This is for posterity! ;)

Happy New Year, everybody!!

🍷🍷

• Love
Reactions: Watts_Up
After reading a bit here, I'm intrigued by all the Tesla online ordering drama. I first heard about the Model Y coming to Japan in July '22 or so, and scheduled a test ride asap. Here's a screenshot of the price of MYP with Red exterior and white interior. At the time, ¥8,810,000 minus ¥650,000 Japan Eco Assistance was about US$67,000. Last month, the JPY was so weak, so US$54,000, and today is UD$62,000. Of course, my price remans the same, as I live and work here, but my point is that Teslas are pretty affordable! (FWIW, the homepage has not changed an iota in over 5 months) A similar-equipped Nissan Ariya EV SUV would cost appreciable more, with horrendous software, and terrible charging options. I looked into and test-drove the Mercedes EQA, not impressed. Other EVs are not yet available here. Just saying ...

Cheers!

MYP Red-White Order 22 09 28.jpg

• Love
Japan is a really tiny EV market thus far. This is for posterity! ;)
But there are in fact quite a few good Youtube EV's channels.

The Model Y is much taller than the Model 3.
I hope you will not have problem using some automated vertical parking garages !!!
See the following one with 1.55 m height limit.

Model 3 - Y Side By Side .jpg tesla-model-3-2018.jpg tesla-model-y-2020.jpg Tokyo - Garage Elevator .jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: charisjapan
The Model Y is much taller than the Model 3.
I hope you will not have problem using some vertical parking garages !!!
See the following one with 1.55 m height limit.

Good point, especially in Tokyo, where a lot of older vertical parking lots are. Here in Yokohama, things went vertical about a decade later, most having a bit taller specs. Width is also a problem for the incredibly tight individual parking machines. But my wife worked with me at the dockyards a few decades ago, and pretty good at parking (haha, she didn't even know we had USS, just thought the beeps were annoying). On a happy note, many parking lot attendants see a Tesla and let you use the spot reserved for oversized vehicles, usually right near the entrance. At our local hospital, the staff would see my red car and say, "Hey, Tesla-san!" :p

Hahaha!

Yeah, the Keijidousha (used to be 360cc, now up to 660cc) light trucks are still all over the place, especially the countryside. But now gross weight and commercial limitations keep them from doing nearly everything. Back when, I used the 1/2 cubic meter mixers to deliver small amounts of concrete to job sites. Here's a Toraku-Yarou (Mister Trucker) version, though probably no longer on the job.

Checked Tesla homepage this morning, no change. But while out with wife today, got a call from my Tesla Advisor, and she said my car was now in production, should be finished in a few days do I still want it? I said, “Well, yeah …” We were in an underground parking, so reception was not so great, and she said something about ’change of contract terms,’ and I had to review a hard copy and accept. Puzzled, returned home to an email with an attachment outlining said changes. In a nutshell, the only change was the bottom line … was LESS than origina!!! Opening TeslaJP, indeed the Model Y prices were lowered today by about 10%, and they applied that to my order. Not one to complain, I guess I’ll accept the change in terms ;).

It seems I’ll get the VIN next week, and ETD is late February to early March. I am required to pay in full by direct deposit, minus what Tesla offers me for my M3SR+. I am also going to get an estimate from a company called Gulliver that specializes in purchasing used cars ... we have used them before,and they gave us a good 15% more than the next-best offer. Supposedly, the company president drives a Tesla, and makes an extra effort to give Top Dollar (er, Yen). Next, I must provide proof of a police-approved parking space, compulsory insurance, and additional insurance from “InsureMyTesla.”

Bottom Line. Model Y Performance, MultiCoat Red, White Interior, registration, parking space confirmatio, national Consumption Tax (10%), 4-digit Custom License Plate (52-36, same as my last 3 new cars), and miscellaneous stuff … ¥8,000,999, about $59,500. About $6,000 less than expected. In addition (or actually, subtraction) to this, I should be able to claim an “Eco Subsidy” of approximately $5,000 after purchase complete.

Still waiting in Japan, another 6-8 weeks …

E5A468BB-6726-4909-B553-E280BB4F3307.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: sunwarriors
Gulp!

So much for a cheaper bottom line …

Trade in offer also a LOT cheaper! My previous offer expired on November 30, so in 43 days, took an $8,000 hit. Yikes! Win some, lose some … but not going to just lie down. Contacted my Advisor, asking (nicely … not gonna organize a “mostly peaceful” protest, haha) them to take another look at the numbers. I did mention that the used M3s on the Tesla site have not become 20% less precious. I’m also checking into other used car buyers, hoping to at least get where I was 2 days ago.

Waiting in Japan.

Got a Delivery Date the other day, March 1st at 4pm. I have to pick up at the Tokyo Delivery Station, no other options available. It's not too far, about an hour by train or by expressway.

It's not "official" until I've paid, and can't pay until I decide on the trade in. My M3SR+ is posted on a consignment site, and I have a good number of views, but no offers. January and February are bad months to sell a used car, one factor in the price drop. C'est la Guerre ...

I'm excited for the new car, and a bit sad to say goodbye to "Tesla-chan," Our M3 experience has be great overall, and confident the MYP will also be good.

Cheers!

MYP Delivery Date Confirmed.jpg

Another month gone by, and 3 more days to Delivery Day! So got only one offer on my Model 3, and that was $3,000 less than Tesla's trade in offer. Japan really is in the doldrums for the used car market of any make. March promises a higher price, as much of the nation has the end of the fiscal year approaching, when everyone suddenly decides to buy stuff and do stuff. Oh, well ... too late for me, but I am a happy puppy anyway. We (wife and I) gathered our resources, and paid Tesla. It was very nice to see that "0" balance due. Yeah, we will be paying a private loan off for 4-5 years, but it's a manageable monthly payment. We had our parking space approved by the local police, which is a big thing in the Tokyo/Yokohama metropolis. Yesterday received the "Registration for Insurance" document online, and were able to go to the "InsureMyTesla" website and switch vehicles day of. Pretty reasonable coverage, and only $30 more per year.

Three.More.Days ...

Well, It's been a couple-three days of new car ownership! Sadly, not that much time to drive, though I did get some time to go out and admire (and check!) and wash "RJ Dream." The wash had to happen, as Japan in in the depths of Cedar Pollen season, and just one short evening of gusty Spring sitting in my covered-but-doorless garage made for a Red Multicoat seriously dusted with sticky orange gunk that will not come off without a sponge bath.

Report:

Shanghai QC is flawless thus far. Panel gaps are excellent, no rattles or glitches. The suspension is much better controlled than the M3SR+ ever was. The huge Pirelli P Zero tires are "Elect" but do feel stiffer and heavier than the suspension itself. That will be remedied! Still finding the little accessories and amenities we accumulated in the M3, but would not fit the MYP. The most-missed is the Electric Frunk, which I had to remove in order to trade in to Tesla (which, by the way, went super-smooth). I have already ordered a Model Y Electric Frunk from EV Offer. Greatly appreciated are the taller seats, which mean easier access, the Electric Hatchback, the roomier and quieter cabin, and a LOT more range. I will properly introduce our 愛車 (Loved Car) after I get things set up the way we want, and get a few kilometers on the clock (er ... screen). A few pics at the Delivery Center in Tokyo, saying "Goodbye" and "Hello."

M3-MY 23 03 01 g.jpg

M3-MY 23 03 01 f.jpg

M3-MY 23 03 01 c.jpg

M3-MY 23 03 01 e.jpg

M3-MY 23 03 01 b.jpg