Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Waiting until after battery day to order...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Fremont has produced at least a handful of them with a heat pump.

Exclusive: Several Model 3 with Heat Pump & Octovalve Produced at Fremont Delivered to Tilburg

We need someone with a very recent build date to confirm if any of these updates have made it into production.

I'm getting my LRAWD this Sunday and it's a 800XXX vin. Wonder if that is recent enough. Is there a easier way to tell if the heatpump is installed or not without opening up the insides of the car?

• Funny
Reactions: cdswm3
I'm getting my LRAWD this Sunday and it's a 800XXX vin. Wonder if that is recent enough. Is there a easier way to tell if the heatpump is installed or not without opening up the insides of the car?

That "exclusive" link is very light on proof (as in, none).

You would likely need to remove the frunk to see, but I wouldnt expect it to have that. If thats something thats important to you, you might want to wait for official announcements from tesla with official dates, not blog articles that are pretty much clickbait at this point with no proof.

Its probably coming, but if I were buying AND that was important to me, I would wait until it was confirmed.

That "exclusive" link is very light on proof (as in, none).

You would likely need to remove the frunk to see, but I wouldnt expect it to have that. If thats something thats important to you, you might want to wait for official announcements from tesla with official dates, not blog articles that are pretty much clickbait at this point with no proof.

Its probably coming, but if I were buying AND that was important to me, I would wait until it was confirmed.

I don't live in cold weather climates so I don't care much about the heat pump. More of a curiosity for me.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
I am in the same boat. Just sold my car to carvana and waiting to see how battery day goes. I almost pulled the trigger on a SR 35k model but I want to see if something is going to happen with this battery day thing. Maybe in 18 months these cars will get cheaper or the range will increase dramatically. Maybe the SR could be 300 plus mile range?

Me too, same boat. I have a M3 SR coming on Friday. Talked to my rep and I can cancel or Postpone my delivery date to End of Year, if I chose. I really want the Heat Pump, for here in Canada.

• Funny
Oh look, exactly what I've been saying for a long while now :)
Makes sense, they don't want to piss of either recent buyers or deter people from holding off on buying til "whatever" gets thrown into production line. While I'm bummed to see the stock dip a bit, I'm thrilled that I went ahead and took delivery 2 days ago. Ultimately for me it came down to 1) I really want the car anyway, I know it's awesome as is and 2) I sold my GTI a few weeks ago and couldn't stand waiting any longer! lol

Reactions: Knightshade
bannedgoose:

In a word, YES. Other Minnesota owners I've spoken with have said they've experienced up to a 30% loss in range when it gets really cold here. I won't be ordering my Model 3 until I have confirmation it will come with a heat pump.

If any of you can help me with that confirmation, I would be grateful.

Kevin

bannedgoose:

In a word, YES. Other Minnesota owners I've spoken with have said they've experienced up to a 30% loss in range when it gets really cold here. I won't be ordering my Model 3 until I have confirmation it will come with a heat pump.

Kevin
There is no indication that there will be a heat pump in the M3 any time soon, if ever.

bannedgoose:

Kevin

I'll add my 5 cents to this. Elon spent a couple minutes talking about the heatpump in the Q&A and made no mention of it coming to M3. Would have been perfect time to mention it if it was imminent...

There is no indication that there will be a heat pump in the M3 any time soon, if ever.

FWIW there is- (apart from the frunk redesign that also suggests it)

Specifically:

Complaint brought against Kerry car parts factory over redundancy terms

Factory that supplies the model 3 resistive heater is shutting down as they've lost that business.

Now it's possible tesla is switching to a totally different supplier of course- but most folks at the time figured it was because they wouldn't need that same part at all once the heat pump went in.

So there's been indications, just no certainty

Maybe the new frunk was ready before the heat pump. If it was the other way around, they’d have a bunch of frunks they couldn’t use.

i think your right, i think they just decided to have a common part between Y and 3 and save some money, I have the new type of plastic frunk tub and no heat pump. (took delivery late july)

Just wondering, can a heat pump work at very low temp ? Like -30c.

I know they become less and less effective as temps go down but i dont know where the limit goes. i would assume the model Y still has a regular resistance heating coil for very low temps but i couldn't find any info on it.