Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Waiting until after battery day to order...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just wondering, can a heat pump work at very low temp ? Like -30c.

No, the heat pump will not be able to scavenge heat from the ambient outside air at this temperature. Instead, the car will fall back to electric heating in these conditions (perhaps an oversimplified description). The car will heat the evaporator loop with waste motor heat, similar to how Model 3 currently does battery heat, which will then be transferred to the cabin via the heat pump.

The heat pump will really shine in cool conditions, particularly above freezing. The colder it gets, the less efficient it will become, until it reaches ~parity with electric resistance heat.

FWIW there is- (apart from the frunk redesign that also suggests it)

Specifically:

Complaint brought against Kerry car parts factory over redundancy terms

Factory that supplies the model 3 resistive heater is shutting down as they've lost that business.

Now it's possible tesla is switching to a totally different supplier of course- but most folks at the time figured it was because they wouldn't need that same part at all once the heat pump went in.

So there's been indications, just no certainty

I only saw a small part of the battery day live stream (I was working), but I remember seeing one part near the end where elon was talking about how fantastic the heat pump for model Y was. I think it was during the Q&A session when someone asked about tesla doing a home HVAC system.

I only mention that, because I remember thinking "he (elon) really likes their new heat pump for model Y, he is gushing about its design, etc". Given elon really likes it, and model Y shares so much with model 3 already, I think its a fair assumption that at some point the heat pump will come to model 3. I had no idea about the factory thing (interesting info, thanks @Knightshade ), but its either a pretty amazing coincidence, or , as you guess, another indication.

They made it match the Model Y. Cheaper is a good enough reason for Tesla to do it.

I will be very surprised if they don't put the heat pump HVAC system in the Model 3. I see no reason not to do it. Improved efficiency, increased range, streamlined components, production process and software across models 3 & Y.

I only mention that, because I remember thinking "he (elon) really likes their new heat pump for model Y, he is gushing about its design, etc". Given elon really likes it, and model Y shares so much with model 3 already, I think its a fair assumption that at some point the heat pump will come to model 3. I had no idea about the factory thing (interesting info, thanks @Knightshade ), but its either a pretty amazing coincidence, or , as you guess, another indication.

Too many coninkidinks to not have something behind it, in my book... Of course, they'll probably switch when they can take a quick breath on the assembly line - when you're trying to make a delivery record is NOT the time to shut down the assembly line ...

But that said - I also don't see the heat pump as a reason to not buy a Model 3 right now, either. Sure, it's cool. Maybe a little more range because of it, too. But not enough additional range so I could skip a Supercharging stop. It's very very infrequent (road trips only, really) that I need a charging stop as it is ... So when I DO need one, having an extra 20 or 30 miles of range wouldn't eliminate the stop.

I love the heat pump - it's a great idea, very innovative - but would have Z-E-R-O concerns buying a Model 3 without one!

Reactions: house9 and cdswm3
It could simply be a measure to standardize parts, have only one frunk instead of two.

I have a hard time imagining Tesla using that argument for the frunk pan while using completely different HVAC systems between the two similar vehicles. If they're going for parts and production simplicity, it makes sense to offer the same HVAC system in both the 3 and the Y.

• Funny
Reactions: cdswm3 and SigNC
I have a hard time imagining Tesla using that argument for the frunk pan while using completely different HVAC systems between the two similar vehicles. If they're going for parts and production simplicity, it makes sense to offer the same HVAC system in both the 3 and the Y.

It's actually really sometimes that simple ...

"Hey Bill, we gotta order more frunk trays."
"Stop using the old ones, let's just standardize on the Y tray."
"We still have 50,000 PTC heaters in inventory"
"Good, use those up - Delphi says the next batch of heat pumps won't be ready till November"

Supply chain management is a weird beast.... ESPECIALLY right now during Covid. I'm seeing shortages on all sorts of random things that we've never had issues with before.... and then things that can sometimes be hard-to-get are plentiful.

It's odd out there right now; I don't question anyone's timeframes or supply line choices.

If you count the number of posts complaining about cabin noise and winter range on the forums, you can see that a heat pump and better glass will make a lot of new owners happy.

I just finished YESTERDAY an annoying install of a matte black console vinyl kit for my wife's 3 .. and she still wants a chrome delete. So .. would have been nice to get all that from the faktory.