TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Waking a 3 up

Discussion in 'The UK and Ireland' started by MaDProFF, Oct 17, 2019.

1. MaDProFF

MaDProFF Member

Hi All

Am I right in thinking to wake the car up from a mobile app, you need to have a phone signal on the phone, and at the car, does it have to be 4g etc?

I assume it will not wake up if phone and car are connected to wi-fi even on the same network?

2. Yev000

Yev000 Active Member

#2 Yev000, Oct 17, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2019
    3 ways:

1. Via internet, either LTE or Wifi if connected. Poking the app will do this, or via 3rd party such as TeslaFi. Just to add to this, if you parked in a concrete bunker - like the car park for my office poking the app wont wake the car up because the car has no internet access.

2. Via bluetooth if you are standing right next to it. If bluetooth is not waking it up, turn bluetooth on/off to reset the antenna on your phone.

3. Via RFID key touching the receiver on the pillar.

The car will actually wake up if you don't have a key and you (or someone) pulls the handle.

3. Adopado

Adopado Active Member

It will wake (should wake) in those circumstances.

4. ewoodrick

ewoodrick Well-Known Member

You'll need a cellular signal. Doesn't have to be 4G.
    AFAIK, the car doesn't tend to stay connected to Wi-Fi, it connects and then disconnects.

5. MaDProFF

MaDProFF Member

Thanks for replies, answers ?'s as to why it did not wake up this morning to turn on the heater, rather annoying, it was the first time it has not done it, parked in the same place

6. Rob R

Rob R Member

I have had a handful of failed connections, along with dozens of successful ones. No idea why, car and phone in same place each time.

7. Adopado

Adopado Active Member

Yes, my experience is much the same. I think there is some interaction with the central Tesla servers to make the connection as well so there is an additional factor to take account of. Any brief flakiness in the connection from phone, car or Telsa server may affect the wake-up. I also factor in my low budget phone that always takes longer to wake the car than does my wife's phone.