Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Waking up IC on bench without MCU

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi people

I am really new to the Tesla Stuff and just bought myself a IC of a 2016 Model S. Now I wanted to wake it up on the bench and use it for Simraving since I thought because of the wakeup pin thats not gonna be that hard. Well *sugar* it is harder than I thought because I heard I need can bus messages from the MCU that I don't have. I'd love to get it working. Can someone provide me with those messages?

Sincerly
FoxIrate

Wie Gehts!

Did you mean simracing? Sounds like a neat idea. Not sure if this is helpful, but might get you on the correct path to find what you need:

Wie Gehts!

Did you mean simracing? Sounds like a neat idea. Not sure if this is helpful, but might get you on the correct path to find what you need:

Oh yeah haha! Didnt see my typo there!

Thanks for the links. I'll see if that helps at all!

Okay so I tested around with some of those messages but the IC still stays off with a blavk screen. The wakeup pin only makes to green leds go on but I am guessing those messages I am missing arr some immobilizer messages or something?? If anyone else has something that might help I'd be thankful!

The other links might get helpful lateron when I start making it work with games

Holy *sugar* I actually did it without a MCU but tons of research! Now I just need to find a way to get it out of the "Car off" state
IMG_20220207_191729.jpg

Holy *sugar* I actually did it without a MCU but tons of research! Now I just need to find a way to get it out of the "Car off" state
View attachment 766087
Where is it getting the image data from if you have no MCU connected? I thought(and this may be waaaay outdated info from 2012) that the speedo screen was just an X display on the ethernet bus, and the MCU displayed images on it by setting the xdisplay variable to the IP of the speedo - i.e. all the "screens" run on the MCU, and the speedo display is just a "dumb" X display.

Where is it getting the image data from if you have no MCU connected? I thought(and this may be waaaay outdated info from 2012) that the speedo screen was just an X display on the ethernet bus, and the MCU displayed images on it by setting the xdisplay variable to the IP of the speedo - i.e. all the "screens" run on the MCU, and the speedo display is just a "dumb" X display.
I actually have no idea. I am guessing it's saves on the motherboard of the instrument cluster since it just powered right up on that can id. That's all I did lol
I thought before I got it to work that this might be the case and that's why it won't power up but I guess I am worng

I believe that with MCU1 cars (not sure about the early pre-AP models), the IC has its own CPU/motherboard and is effectively a standalone system that talks to the MCU.

For MCU2 (and beyond I assume), the IC is basically a second display only and all of the processing is done by the MCU itself.

• Informative
Reactions: whitex
I believe that with MCU1 cars (not sure about the early pre-AP models), the IC has its own CPU/motherboard and is effectively a standalone system that talks to the MCU.

For MCU2 (and beyond I assume), the IC is basically a second display only and all of the processing is done by the MCU itself.
That actually sounds really interesting. Now I guess I must have a MCU1 car since it just powered up via CAN but who know, maybe that's just cached images from the last time it was on. Tbh I have no idea because I haven't actually found any CAN bus ID's where the IC did something

Funny enough when I power the IC up and then listen on the CAN lines I get like three different ID's. Idk what exactly they do but I guess it's actually a standalone unit.
Now onto the interesting thing. The ID I am sending to get it to boot also shows (in the DBC file I found on github) a value called something like MCUreadyForDrive. Might this have something to do with "starting the car"?

I hope someone can answer this: I was thinking about getting a Model 3 center screen. Is it aswell a standalone MCU like in the Model S or is there more to that?
Hi FoxIrate,

The Tesla Model 3 Screen is just a screen. You also need the MCU/AP hardware (They are two different motherboards in one unit but if you can get just the "MCU" motherboard that works too). Could you please send me the CAN instructions (CAN speeds, and CAN Frame) to wake-up the IC?

Thanks! :)
With kind regards, iTech75D

Hi FoxIrate,

The Tesla Model 3 Screen is just a screen. You also need the MCU/AP hardware (They are two different motherboards in one unit but if you can get just the "MCU" motherboard that works too). Could you please send me the CAN instructions (CAN speeds, and CAN Frame) to wake-up the IC?

Thanks! :)
With kind regards, iTech75D
Hi iTech75D

Good to know. Well the screens aren't even that expensive to get lol. Its just the Module that's expensive

I'll send you the CAN ID in a second. I actually didn't even send it at a specific speed. Just set the CAN to 500KBPS and sent the code and put 12V on wakeup. Works :)

Reactions: Hank42
Okay! I got a MCU1 now that someone here sold me. But now I honestly don't get it on how to boot it because I don't understand that script thing from one of wk's threads. Does someone know how to boot the MCU?

Power is connected and LEDs in there are blinking/lit up but it doesnt power up right now

So I now have the MCU but obviously the ICs firmware doesn't match and thus it refuses to work. Is there a way I can redeploy the software onto the IC, without rooting the MCU?
Also it still has data in it from the previous owner, can I factory reset the MCU to erase all data without any issues?