Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wal-Mart // Tesla Semi

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thought this was interesting news today -- Wal-Mart Canada ordering 30 Tesla semis today, to be operated out of Mississauga and Surrey. So anyone living in those areas will be seeing these trucks.

Tesla Semi receives order of 30 more electric trucks from Walmart

We deal with WM in Mississauga, so I'll be posting pics in 4 years or so lol...

Last edited by a moderator:
Presumably these fleet bases and distribution centers will want their own megacharger facilities to maximize ROI. Does that mean Tesla has shared the specs with its larger customers?

WM has a fleet of semi's doing runs in the GTA, both from their DC to stores, and from suppliers to their DC. I doubt any of these 30 trucks will ever leave the GTA, so any fancy charger would not be required.

I wonder how Ford will spin this as negative news?

"Billionaire Walton family buys 30 Tesla's" :rolleyes:

Seriously though, this is good to see. Regular cars make up a tiny fraction of the pollution caused by ICE propulsion. By far the leading contribution is from transport trucks and other commercial vehicles, and it's nice to see the technology getting to the point that it can fit into certain situations like moving goods from DC's to stores in a metropolitan area like Southern Ontario. Still pretty far away from supporting cross country travel, but within Kingston to Niagara and up to Barrie, why can't they use electric semi's to ferry goods around? That's a lot of stores that can be supplied.

I still think it's sad how the current government in Ontario is so anti EV, while a situation like this makes so much sense. This is something the government should embrace. Having a fleet of electric semi trucks here will drive further infrastructure building to support their travel. It will also allow more efficient use of our energy grid, assuming they set things up so that the trucks mostly charge at night.....or here is a crazy idea, how about investing in more solar/green power generation to help offset the demand during the day as well?

Oh wait...it makes more sense to use taxpayer money to pay lawyers who have to defend against lawsuits that cut those beneficial programs o_O

Reactions: 5_+JqckQttqck
WalMart will pinch a penny until it screams. If WalMart continues to use the Tesla semis, and even buys more, it's an unequivocal testament to their greater cost efficiency and something that will undoubtedly have influence in the industry.

Yes and no, not sure I agree with this. A very easy argument could be construed that WM Canada just spent $6M on marketing. While I agree with you, for what you're saying to truly be accepted by the industry as a whole they need to convert their entire semi fleet to these trucks, not just the ones making daily runs in metropolitan areas.

I wonder how Ford will spin this as negative news?

"Billionaire Walton family buys 30 Tesla's" :rolleyes:

Seriously though, this is good to see. Regular cars make up a tiny fraction of the pollution caused by ICE propulsion. By far the leading contribution is from transport trucks and other commercial vehicles, and it's nice to see the technology getting to the point that it can fit into certain situations like moving goods from DC's to stores in a metropolitan area like Southern Ontario. Still pretty far away from supporting cross country travel, but within Kingston to Niagara and up to Barrie, why can't they use electric semi's to ferry goods around? That's a lot of stores that can be supplied.

I still think it's sad how the current government in Ontario is so anti EV, while a situation like this makes so much sense. This is something the government should embrace. Having a fleet of electric semi trucks here will drive further infrastructure building to support their travel. It will also allow more efficient use of our energy grid, assuming they set things up so that the trucks mostly charge at night.....or here is a crazy idea, how about investing in more solar/green power generation to help offset the demand during the day as well?

Oh wait...it makes more sense to use taxpayer money to pay lawyers who have to defend against lawsuits that cut those beneficial programs o_O

These trucks have insane range -- 800km. That's well enough for intercity travel. The only thing needed to really move this along would be Tesla's next generation of high speed chargers. Hopefully we start seeing those sooner rather than later.