Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wales to introduce 20mph default speed limit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I admit, I'm a cynic, I genuinely believe all businesses, governments, authorities only have one focus - and that's cash generation, there are no morals, some are covert in their methods, many use the psychological approach like charities offering free wills -making the person feel obligated to leave something in their will to the charity, We live in a world of subterfuge, semantics and outright dishonesty, a significant majority of people don't do anything for anyone unless there is some personal gain.

Without doubt Wales will enforce those 20MPH zones with cameras and others will follow - just like the low pollution zones springing up around the country.

like that "speed reduced to 60 mph for better air quality" on M1 near Sheffield.

It makes absolutely all sense with EVs.

/s
I am confused, you said the air quality speed limit makes no sense for EV's then did /s. So you were being sarcastic and thus you DO believe it makes sense for EV's?

Is that because it turns out tailpipe emissions were never the problem and the main source of emissions are tyres EV's being double the weight of ICE cars means you are the WORST offender and should not even be allowed on the motorways ( I AM being sarcastic just to be clear)

I am confused, you said the air quality speed limit makes no sense for EV's then did /s. So you were being sarcastic and thus you DO believe it makes sense for EV's?

Is that because it turns out tailpipe emissions were never the problem and the main source of emissions are tyres EV's being double the weight of ICE cars means you are the WORST offender and should not even be allowed on the motorways ( I AM being sarcastic just to be clear)

Sarcasm accepted. the problem is that people still believe what you say as it was truth about weight

taken from the 2021 article:
Driving at 60mph, rather than the national speed limit, has been shown to significantly reduce emissions of harmful nitrogen dioxide (NO2).
&
“The 60mph speed limit on this section of the M1 is part of our wider activity to manage air quality levels alongside the motorway network and major A-roads in England to ensure they are compliant with air quality limits for NO2 in the shortest timescale possible.”
The 60mph limit between junctions 34 and 33 is in place 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
Highways England said it was too early to assess the impact of the latest restrictions as it needed to collect at least six months’ worth of data.
The latest figures from Defra (Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs) show that NO2 levels in Tinsley have generally been around 40µg/m³ during peak hours over the last week but spiked on Thursday morning at more than three times that (132µg/m³).
Can we have exception allowing us to go 70 there with an ev?

yeah... and I always point out to others double weight:
Hardly difference in 3 adults in the car...

but hey, let's introduce all those new limits, like in wales.. :)
that is the reason for my /s

Last edited:
Reactions: rincewind
the main source of emissions are tyres EV's being double the weight of ICE cars

I know you said "/s" but ...

There was an emotive piece about this recently (forgotten which paper). It was obviously tosh, but they were saying that the acceleration is so massive, compared to whatever ICE the owner previously had, that the tyre wear is of course more (I understand that point), and the weight and so on.

yeah, I hoof it from the lights when opportunity presents ... but 99% of my miles is trogging along the motorway.

My point on tyres would be that my first MS - big big beast, 0-60 was 3-and-a-bit (back then). It replaced a VW blue motion Golf. But I got the same miles out of a set of tyres on both cars ... how was that then, given the Very Obvious Figures Proving The Opposite ...

I used to hypermile the Golf (coast in neutral to a slow corner / junction - challenging myself to coast from just the right point), but I also treated it like a hot hatch at times. But still ... 99% (or whatever) of my miles was motorway

Sold the MS at 95K miles, brake pads were nowhere near advisory, so even with some hooning most of my slowing was on regen. I find regen is a bit less than what I would have used for "Normal T-Junction braking" in ICE, so presumably more tyre wear with ICE using brakes (and particulates form the brake pads of course). I have also read (no idea if tosh) that gear changes cause slight "jerk" on the tyres, which causes some wear

• Informative
Reactions: Jason71