Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Walk Away Door Lock - Helpful or Hurtful?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I really wish Tesla would switch to a code keypad on their doors not the key/phone app thing. I've had several times when my phone has fallen out of my purse and I rely on the 'walk away' feature to lock my door. And in these cases, not only is my car not locked, but now people can steal my cell phone too! The walk away feature takes too long to give you a heads up that the doors are actually locked. I have to stand there staring at my car (like a goober) waiting for it to do its thing. How is it that Tesla designed such a 'futuristic' car and yet some things make me feel like we've regressed... A LOT!

Helpful (to answer the thread question) and no, I dont want any sort of 1990s keypad on the side of the car. If you are "standing there waiting for it to lock" its not locking, because you are standing there.

You actually should be "walking away" like the feature says. Turn on honk on lock, and listen for it as you walk stylishly away from the car. It works 100% of the time for me.

If you dont want to do that, buy a keyfob and then push the button on the keyfob. The current keyfobs also have passive lock and unlock but you can ignore it.

Or, take out your phone and push the button on the screen in the tesla app to lock the phone.

In no cases is having the keypad on the car faster or easier than one of those options, and those keypads are ugly, and provide no real benefit.

Helpful (to answer the thread question) and no, I dont want any sort of 1990s keypad on the side of the car. If you are "standing there waiting for it to lock" its not locking, because you are standing there.

You actually should be "walking away" like the feature says. Turn on honk on lock, and listen for it as you walk stylishly away from the car. It works 100% of the time for me.

If you dont want to do that, buy a keyfob and then push the button on the keyfob. The current keyfobs also have passive lock and unlock but you can ignore it.

Or, take out your phone and push the button on the screen in the tesla app to lock the phone.

In no cases is having the keypad on the car faster or easier than one of those options, and those keypads are ugly, and provide no real benefit.
Ford Escape as the keypad hidden vertically blended on the door side and no 1990 keypad sticks out. But I hear yeah.

It works as intended but Bluetooth on my phone is super efficient I can get in the car even if the phone is in the living room 15ft away... Iclose Bluetooth when I get home. Not super convenient.

This. I’ve had my car for like 3 or so weeks and it’s not failed me yet. I’ve just gotten used to the fact that you can just walk away and it will lock.

This. I’ve had my car for like 3 or so weeks and it’s not failed me yet. I’ve just gotten used to the fact that you can just walk away and it will lock.

I have had my model 3 since 2018. I actually still listen for the honk every single time, as I walk away. I know exactly what it sounds like, after all this time, but I do still look for it. If I am not sure I hear it, what I do is pull out my phone (while still walking to wherever I am going), and open the tesla app, and just eyeball that the lock button shows that its locked.

I am specifically ignoring the OPs "many times my phone falls out of my purse", not because I dont think it happens or something, but because that is no fault of the car, and doesnt have much to do with walk away lock, wanting a keypad on the car, etc.

I'm just repeating what's already been said, but yes, it's important to actually walk away from the vehicle.

For as many times as the phone unlock feature has not worked, or the car won't start because the phone key is not connected (both of these issues seem to come and go with app and vehicle software updates), the walk away lock has never failed in almost 4 years. At first I would always look back and make sure the mirrors were folded, and then I just listened for the honk, and now after doing this countless times I am 99% confident that the car is locked (occasionally I will open the app and make sure that the doors are locked--usually because I'm afraid that maybe my wife left her phone in the car).

I get that there is a problem with the phone falling out of the purse, but it seems to me that the solution here is to either use a purse that doesn't accidentally spill its contents out, or develop a system where you are positively grabbing your phone as you leave the car. For example, I always have my phone out and set it on the phone holder in the center console, and grab it when I leave. It's a hard habit at this point.

How would a keypad be more advanced than me walking up to my car and simply getting in?

Also i'm still waiting on my car to be delivered, but i'm pretty sure i've heard that locking when walking away is an option. if this is difficult for you, you could turn that off and lock it with your phone as you walk away, that way you know you have your phone on you and don't forget it. or you could use the keycard as a backup, or even get a Tesla ring key.

Tesla has the best options I can think of for locking/unlocking your car.

Also the last thing I want in the canadian winter is walking up to my car after work and having to break ice off to use a keypad.

I think the walk-away lock is harmful because after three years of walking away and my car is always locked I now constantly forget to lock the doors on my wife's 4Runner. I just walk away and later remember, oh yeah, sh*t....... I don't know how Tesla could design a system explicitly to make me forget things. Irresponsible of Tesla really..........

• Funny
Reactions: NowIsGood and RTPEV
(moderator note)

My experience here moderating tells me, if someone:

1. Creates an account on TMC
2. Makes 1 post
3. Immediately logs off after that post and never logs back in

That post is intended to be a troll post. I really dislike this practice, so will be locking this thread. There is only a 4 minute difference between joining TMC, post creation, then logging off, then not even logging back in to see any feedback.

Screen Shot 2022-03-11 at 5.43.37 PM.png

Status
Not open for further replies.