Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Walk away door lock mystery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I have a little walk away door lock mystery. I have the walk away to exclude home and it works everywhere except my in-laws house. They live a quarter of mile away from me (yes, I know, it's like Everyone Loves Raymond here). Anyway, when I park in their driveway or near their house, the walk away lock doesn't lock. Yet, if I park on our block 100 feet from my house, the walk away works. Of course, the walk away exclusion works normally in my driveway and garage. The addresses for our house and their house are listed correctly under the app. Their house is not set as a work or home address, but it is listed under favorites. This has been occurring since we took delivery in May. Any ideas?

The walk away function works with your phone's Bluetooth (BT). Something is interfering with the BT signal when you park at your MIL's home. The interference could be caused by any of these:
  • Microwave ovens.
  • Cabling and connectors for cable and satellite service.
  • Poorly shielded power lines in the wall.
  • 4 GHz cordless telephones.
  • Wireless RF security video camera.
  • Wireless Wi-Fi speakers.
  • Neighboring Bluetooth device (device in a close apartment/home may connect through walls).

Thanks for the quick reply! I probably I will never be able to isolate the exact source. With everyone on top of each other in Brooklyn, there are a ton of variables. Several people on the block have old security systems and nothing in Brooklyn is done with permits or code so who knows what could be the interference. At least I know that I am not crazy....

Which menu is that under? After everything got moved with the holiday update, I've had a hard time tracking down all of the settings.
Can't help with where it is (not at my car right now). You could remove the in-law's house from favorites and see if that makes it lock again -- then you will have narrowed down your problem. I have a similar (but unsolveable) problem. My in-laws live three doors down from me. The car thinks it's at home and won't lock if I park at their house... despite being about a city block away.

Any chance you had another phone in the car at your in-laws? This always happens to me. I'll be driving with my wife and we both have our phone paired to the car. We get to the store and she leaves her phone in the car since I have mine and as a result, the car doesn't lock.

Reactions: GtiMart
I *think* the exact lat-long coordinate for your home comes from the address lookup, it's not necessarily exactly where you park in your driveway. It could return a point that's a couple houses away or more. Tesla apply some radius distance to make a circle, and assumes you're home is within that circle. You might still be in the circle at your in-laws but not at the other place you park 100 feet from your house. I'm not sure, I'm just saying that "home" isn't a small area, and might not be what we think

Any chance you had another phone in the car at your in-laws? This always happens to me. I'll be driving with my wife and we both have our phone paired to the car. We get to the store and she leaves her phone in the car since I have mine and as a result, the car doesn't lock.
Nope, just me usually. My wife has the only other Tesla key and access on her phone. Happened yesterday and I was by myself. It even happens across the street from their house (which is by the park so less wifi strength). I haven't been able to replicate it at another location.

I *think* the exact lat-long coordinate for your home comes from the address lookup, it's not necessarily exactly where you park in your driveway. It could return a point that's a couple houses away or more. Tesla apply some radius distance to make a circle, and assumes you're home is within that circle. You might still be in the circle at your in-laws but not at the other place you park 100 feet from your house. I'm not sure, I'm just saying that "home" isn't a small area, and might not be what we think
I was thinking that too that it could be some funny business with the GPS. It's not a big deal but sometimes I forget to manually lock the car at my in laws house.

It's definitely a large circle -- too large. The app knows the exact street address but doesn't seem to tell the walk away function. I'm literally a street over at my in-laws and the walk away lock doesn't work because I'm "at home."