Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Walk-Away Door Lock

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I really like the new Walk-Away Door Lock option in the latest update. It allows me to leave my car unlocked at home (since I park in a garage) and locked all other times.

My only problem is that I've noticed the mirrors do not fold in anymore. Before, when I would get home and leave the car, it would lock, the handles would retract and the mirrors would fold in. Now, it stays unlocked, the handles retract, but the mirrors stay out. This seems like a bug to me. Anyone else seeing the same thing or know of a setting I need to change?

Mirron folding in or out is an visual indication is your Tesla is locked of unlocked. Since the request for this feature on Twitter (where it originated from to Elon directly), only indicated to allow the Tesla to be unlocked at the HOME location, and thus the visual indication for unlocked is the mirrors are out/open.

Not too sure if I classify it as a bug, or not enough details in the tweet Elon asking for this feature,.

Maybe worthwhile to post a tweet to Elon asking him to allow for an unlocked mode with mirror folded in, or an option that give that capability.

There should be a button to fold your mirrors then you can tell it to always fold when you get home.
fold location.jpg

I guess I mistakenly assumed the mirror fold was linked to the handle retraction. In fact, when I first enabled the new feature to leave the car unlocked, I was concerned that the handles would remain extended. I was pleasantly surprised to find that they do retract as expected with the car remaining unlocked. It was then that I noticed that the mirrors remained out and thought it was a bug. Not a big deal. My garage has lots of room so there isn't really any need to fold them but I have become used to them being folded while at home. I guess I could use the Auto-Fold Mirrors Based on Location feature.

I did fine one issue with the "do not lock when home". When I park in my garage, that's great, but if I ever park outside, then I would want my doors locked, but it won't because garage and driveway are both home.

Just keep that in mind because here is what I see.

A owner who normally parks inside and does not auto lock his doors, will bitch and complain at the first time someone gets into his car because it parked int outside and forgot to manually lock it (because it configured it not to auto lock when at Home location).

It will happen, so just a reminder that we need to be aware of the need to auto lock if and when we decide to park outside with the auto lock at home turned off.

For the record: I made that mistake last night, and luckily nothing was taken, but I won't be using that feature any more.

I always have the mirrors fold on our cars when we reach the home location since we need them that way to enter and leave the garage. That’s the point of the feature. Then the auto lock is noted by the horn sounding when you walk away. (Or not if you have it disabled for home location.)

As usual it might be nice to able to adjust the geolocation radius of ‘home’ but that’s another feature. :D

Then the auto lock is noted by the horn sounding when you walk away. (Or not if you have it disabled for home location.)

My 2017 Model S P100D with Infotainment Upgrade does not have the ability to sound the form when you walk away, however my 2016 Model X 90D does... Strange. I always wondered why the older Model X has it, but the newer Model S doesn't...

Reactions: Art VandeIay
My 2017 Model S P100D with Infotainment Upgrade does not have the ability to sound the form when you walk away, however my 2016 Model X 90D does... Strange. I always wondered why the older Model X has it, but the newer Model S doesn't...
Yeah, it’s weird. The 3 got it, then the X and not the S. The X might have because I kept tweeting Elon but we’ll never know. (Didn’t get a response I’m aware of and forgot the S never caught up!)

Makes little sense all of them didn’t get it at the same time.

I have it set to exclude my home as well and it works fine. The weird thing is that it also excludes a pretty wide area around my house. I swim in the mornings at my community lap pool, the parking lot of which on a straight line distance from my house is about 1,500 feet away. Even while parked there, the "exclude this location" box is still checked as if the car is parked at my house.

I would think the GPS would be a little more tight than that. Doesn't seem to be a problem with the garage door opener knowing when it is within 30 feet of the hosue.

I have it set to exclude my home as well and it works fine. The weird thing is that it also excludes a pretty wide area around my house. I swim in the mornings at my community lap pool, the parking lot of which on a straight line distance from my house is about 1,500 feet away. Even while parked there, the "exclude this location" box is still checked as if the car is parked at my house.

I would think the GPS would be a little more tight than that. Doesn't seem to be a problem with the garage door opener knowing when it is within 30 feet of the hosue.
It’s a design choice, for better or worse. There is also going to be some occasional inaccuracies in the location.

I swim in the mornings at my community lap pool, the parking lot of which on a straight line distance from my house is about 1,500 feet away. Even while parked there, the "exclude this location" box is still checked as if the car is parked at my house.
From my estimates in Walk away lock "Exclude Home" distance it seems like the radius is 500 meters or 1640 feet, which matches up with what you've noticed parking at 1500 feet.

Reactions: GoBlue88
Thanks! Odd that the radius is so large, given the accuracy of GPS.
Probably uniform for all the "ignore @ home / work' features. Work for many people could be a pretty wide area. Similarly, an apartment dweller would have a larger parking lot. Of course it makes no sense to keep a car unlocked in an apartment parking lot... but someone might want sentry off to save battery and only use it when out and about.