Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Walk Away Door Lock

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With the latest two updates these past couple of days our walk away door lock function does not work anymore. The phone is paired, the icon for the walk away door lock is turned on and still nothing happens. All the other functions work with our phone but not this feature. It has worked for the past three years but now with the new updates it doesn't, Ideas?

Were you playing with the X'mas Lightshow? I found that sometime after the Lightshow, the doors won't auto lock. I have to open the driver door and close it a few times until I see the window started to auto roll down a little (when open) and auto roll up a little (when door close). Then the auto lock will happen. Try that.

Do you have "home" excluded? And if so, how far from "home" are you testing it? I thought I mine wasn't working either, and learned that I needed to drive about 1/4 mile from my house in order for it to work with "home" excluded. Somebody at Tesla must think I have a massive "home." You can check if the auto-lock thinks you're "home" by putting the car in Park. If it thinks you're still home it will say (under the auto-lock menu) "disabled at this location."

Reactions: CarlThompson
I’m pretty sure an update disabled my walk away lock setting. Now I just had things stolen from my car because of it. How is it that security features aren’t regression tested for updates. It could also be related to emmc recall because since that Ive had a lot of issues. Horrible experience

Reactions: whiskeylover
Mine started failing about the time I went to 2022.8.2
It has worked for years with Iphones and for several months with Samsung 9.
I have tried multiple Reboots and removed app and Phone and reinstalled.
Occasionally it will work but the best I have gotten is 5 successes out if 8 tries. Most the time in am getting 1 success after several reboot efforts and then it fails repeatably again.

I'm on 2022.8.2 and mine is working. At least, I always look back to see if the mirrors fold (they do) and I assume the doors are locked too.

Mike
Do you have the 2,5 computer or the 3.0? Also what kind and age of phone are you using?

This information may help to find what combination of things may cause the problem. I suspect that the 2.5 computer may get overloaded and then stop doing some things. This happened with the back up camera.

Do you have the 2,5 computer or the 3.0? Also what kind and age of phone are you using?

This information may help to find what combination of things may cause the problem. I suspect that the 2.5 computer may get overloaded and then stop doing some things. This happened with the back up camera.

My car is a 2021 with radar. Phone is a Samsung ZFlip3. My car has the 3.0 compuer.

Mike

2018 w/HW3, currently running 2022.8.2, do not fold mirrors on lock and don't have home excluded. I have had no problems with walk-away lock working through all of the previous software updates. I always listen for the acknowledgement honk when walking away. I have had occasional problems with the car unlocking when I walk up (Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge now and Galaxy J2 before that). There have been a couple of times that I remember getting a warning message on the main screen saying my phone is no longer being detected and that walk-away lock is disabled so I've locked the car with my fob when leaving.

So it is possible that the 2.5 computer is not keeping up with the updates.

Certainly possible. I wouldn't think checking for phone RF signal is a CPU demanding thing and it should be a high priority. When did Tesla start making their own chips? I know they had to rewrite some code and they even made their own C compiler. I wonder if they have a different compile branch for 2.5 and 3.0? It's possible there is a bug in the 2.5 branch and not the 3.0 I guess.

Mike

The AP2.5 computer has nothing to do with the walk away lock. And prior to this year, every model 3, has the exact same infotainment computer.

The most common cause of walk away lock failure is problems in the driver detection stuff in the drivers seat. If the car thinks you're still sitting in the car it won't lock. Just observe what happens when you get out of the car. Turn on the radio and exit the car. Does the radio continue to play? It's a seat issue for sure then.

Reactions: colin_aus
At the time that this problem started, I had loaded a new Email App (Outlook WPA). It auto set up so I do not know what it did, but it did not turn off the old Samsung supplied Email app. Anyway I am thinking that I may have a conflict between these two apps. Both apps do calendars and things that sink to the car.

I cannot remove the Samsung app but want to use the Outlook. So I am trying to turn off the functions of the Samsung app. So far the walk away lock is doing better. Only one failure in about 10 attempts. So maybe it is a software problem in my phone.