Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Walk away door locks (home) - Alarm triggers every time!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am running into a strange problem. Every since receiving the update that allows "home" to be an exception to walk-away door locks (don't lock at home), the alarm sounds if I open the doors or trunk without the key in the immediate vicinity. The doors are in fact unlocked as I can simply open the doors, but the alarm seems to think the doors are still locked.

I tend to think this problem is unique to me since I suspect others would have reported it by now if they have the same problem.

One possibly (but not necessarily) related data point: I am running into problems with the key inside the car. Normally, I have my key in my pocket, and all works fine. However, if I place the key in the center console cubby by the USB ports, I frequently get the message "key not detected in vehicle." I move the key away from that area and the message goes away. I know there is a sensor in that area. If this sensor is defective, could it have some sort of effect on the alarm???

That is strange. If the other key works fine, I'd try replacing the battery in the one that is not working correctly. Then try toggling the walk away lock feature, and see if any changes (and toggle home exception as well). Does the cubby, USB area of console see the other key?

That is strange. If the other key works fine, I'd try replacing the battery in the one that is not working correctly. Then try toggling the walk away lock feature, and see if any changes (and toggle home exception as well). Does the cubby, USB area of console see the other key?
Yes already replaced the batteries. I haven't tried the other fob yet but I'll give that a shot. I have turned off the home exception and things go back to the way they used to work (no surprise). I'll try toggling the walk away lock settings and try that.

I believe I figured out what is going on.

First, the key not found error. This started happening when I installed the wireless phone charger. With my phone charging, and my key sitting right next to the phone, interference is obviously the culprit. The problem doesn't occur if I don't have my phone charging.

After trying out many different scenarios, I discovered that the alarm only goes off when I summon the car while at home. Apparently, when summon summon finishes, it unlocks the doors (per the checkbox) but for some reason leaves the alarm activated.

I just had my alarm go off after I summoned my car out of the garage, I recently enabled the home location exception for walk-away lock.

I'll have to experiment some to see if this always happens.

I am running into a strange problem. Every since receiving the update that allows "home" to be an exception to walk-away door locks (don't lock at home), the alarm sounds if I open the doors or trunk without the key in the immediate vicinity. The doors are in fact unlocked as I can simply open the doors, but the alarm seems to think the doors are still locked.

I had this issue yesterday for the first time, but I actually had the key with me. I reached into my pocket and had to double click the fob to stop the alarm from going off. I believe I had also summoned the car into the garage prior to this. Since I had the key, I'm guessing the bug is a little more subtle - it's like it doesn't even look for the key if the door opens when it thought the car was locked. I'll have to try something similar where it's locked but the window is down and I open it from the inside while I have the key.

I just had my alarm go off after I summoned my car out of the garage, I recently enabled the home location exception for walk-away lock.

I'll have to experiment some to see if this always happens.

I recently ran into this as well and can confirm that it was after I used the summon in and out of the garage. The weird thing for me is that I did not experience this until this week and I have not had an update recently or changed the lock when walkaway excluding home (always had that on). Granted, I've only had my car for 3 weeks and messing with all the features but I did test this out within the first week to learn how it works and did not run into this.

Anyways, wondering if there is a solution or exact triggering setting identified. Thanks!

I recently ran into this as well and can confirm that it was after I used the summon in and out of the garage. The weird thing for me is that I did not experience this until this week and I have not had an update recently or changed the lock when walkaway excluding home (always had that on). Granted, I've only had my car for 3 weeks and messing with all the features but I did test this out within the first week to learn how it works and did not run into this.

Anyways, wondering if there is a solution or exact triggering setting identified. Thanks!
In the intervening weeks I have definitely determined that it is summon-related. As a workaround, I make it a point to, after summoning, lock the car with the fob. That way next time I am forced to unlock the car (which disables the alarm).

I haven't yet tried just manually unlocking the car immediately after summon. I'll report back if that works.

I haven't yet tried just manually unlocking the car immediately after summon. I'll report back if that works.

Will try also. Just can't pinpoint why I did not get this the week before but it might have ben me pushing the lock clock button first (by accident) instead of holding it down to engage summon as I was learning how it works.

Ok, all, from my testing, it truly does happen when you have lock when walking away set and exclude home. I did not run into this before as I was (accidentally or on purpose) pressing the key fob once before pressing down and holding it to activate summon.

As I like the lock when walking away feature and exclude from home, I will leave those and do the opposite order of @GlymnAlyAirCar by pressing the fob to lock the car then pressing/holding again to activate summon. This still gives me the natural coming up to the car and it presenting handles and unlocking.

Hopefully this is an identified bug and gets fixed in an upcoming update.

I have the problem too. Double whammy tonight - summoned the car out of the garage. My wife then opens her door to get in, and the alarm goes off. I click my fob to stop it. Handles still out...I walk up to my door, open it to get in and alarm goes off again.

I have had walk away lock except at home both set and not set, and rebooted between these setting. Still happens. I think it is truly summon related. Since I summon in at night, it waits patiently for me to get in in the morning, and off goes the alarm, whether I summon it out of the garage first or just get in it in the garage.

I guess I'll try locking then unlocking when I get in first time after a summon. Hope that works. Tired of alarming/waking the neighbors.

I have the problem too. Double whammy tonight - summoned the car out of the garage. My wife then opens her door to get in, and the alarm goes off. I click my fob to stop it. Handles still out...I walk up to my door, open it to get in and alarm goes off again.

I have had walk away lock except at home both set and not set, and rebooted between these setting. Still happens. I think it is truly summon related. Since I summon in at night, it waits patiently for me to get in in the morning, and off goes the alarm, whether I summon it out of the garage first or just get in it in the garage.

I guess I'll try locking then unlocking when I get in first time after a summon. Hope that works. Tired of alarming/waking the neighbors.
I ended up unchecking "exclude home" until this is fixed via update. I still cringe a bit every time I open the doors after summoning in anticipation of the alarm.

Argh, this is still an issue. I have unlock at home set. I went out last night, backed into the garage, unloaded trunk and used summon to finish the parking. This morning, car is unlocked, key in pocket, charger plugged in, open door and WHAM, alarm goes off. Used fob to turn off alarm, get out of car to unplug charger (too much drama and forgot to unplug). Get out of car, unplug, again open door and WHAM, alarm again.
Turned off alarm until I can figure what is going on.
Yes, this gives me PTSD!
Model S 85D March 2015 delivery.

Argh, this is still an issue. I have unlock at home set. I went out last night, backed into the garage, unloaded trunk and used summon to finish the parking. This morning, car is unlocked, key in pocket, charger plugged in, open door and WHAM, alarm goes off. Used fob to turn off alarm, get out of car to unplug charger (too much drama and forgot to unplug). Get out of car, unplug, again open door and WHAM, alarm again.
Turned off alarm until I can figure what is going on.
Yes, this gives me PTSD!
Model S 85D March 2015 delivery.
For what it's worth, if you remember to lock/unlock the car manually after summoning, you can avoid the alarm the next morning. Still a pain but might be better than turning the alarm off completely until this gets addressed.

Reactions: CFinVancouver
I've been battling this issue for two years and cannot find a resolution. I find that the mirrors also unfold themselves arbitrarily and that is my clue that the alarm will likely go off if I open the unlocked doors in my garage. I also use summon to put the car in the garage (and I don't lock it).

Anyone had any success getting this fixed?

Still problematic in our 2017 MS. Just woke up all the neighbors at 5:30 AM on a Sunday trying to get an early start :-( thanks to all those who have posted. Definitely seems to be related to summon – which I used to go in and out of the garage. It will happen when I’m loading the car. I will have the front and the hatch open and then when I open the door, the alarm goes off, even if the key is in my pocket