Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Walk away horn too quiet

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone else notice how quiet the horn is when the vehicle locks. I keep having to look at the app (which isn’t working) to see if my car is locked because I can’t hear the horn. Feel like it was a more substantial honk in the 3.

wish they would allow you to enable a notification when it locks. Would love for it to pop up on my Apple Watch that it locked after walking away

Reactions: ejkcy25 and HeyEph
Yes, I have noticed that and it is very short and faint. I rather like that feature.
Look under the general Locks menu and scroll down. There may be an option for sending a locked notification.
if not, that is a valid suggestion.
I’ll double check but I’m 99% positive there is no option for that. Otherwise I would have chosen it a long time ago.
What’s the best way to get a feature request seen by Tesla? That seems like an easy one to implement

This - I give it a few and look back to ensure the mirrors are folded, no beep. Personally I've always thought it a bit obnoxious having people's horns beeping as they walk away, some quite loudly.

The problem with looking for the folded mirrors is that sometimes you can't see them, like in a crowded parking lot. So, I don't view this as a viable solution.

What’s the best way to get a feature request seen by Tesla?
As I have yet to successfully get any feature or suggestion that I have asked for, that's a great question.
I've used the tesla.com support, gone through the menus and eventually submitted a suggestion.
However, my current 0% success rate suggests that might be the best route.
Customer and Product Support | Tesla Support

I've heard, that if you tweet Elon AND he reads it AND he likes it AND it makes sense, then maybe it will happen.

I remember there was a video talked about it.

The result was try to walk away from the front of your car, which would trigger the LOCK with shorter distance than walking away from the door side.

However, I believe Tesla is able to do better with OTA update, e.g, if the car sees (or GPS locates) it is in a big parking lot, it can automatically increase the volume of the horn, or lock the doors within shorter distance/time.

Last edited:
I remember there was a video talked about it.

The result was try to walk away from the front of your car, which would trigger the LOCK with shorter distance than walking away from the door side.
This isn’t really a solution given that most people park nose in and then walk towards the rear of the vehicle.

I still think the best solution is the ability to enable a push notification when your vehicle locks. They already do it when a door or window is left open, so we know it’s possible. Just need to get it implemented

agree its way too quiet and also agree that the loud ones are obnoxious and can startle. The way the horn chirps almost isn't functional in loud areas. I find myself having to check and see if the car is locked with the app -- which is annoying....