Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Walk-away lock doesn't work if u open door w/foot on the brake

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have an iPhone 8, and I almost never have a problem unlocking my Model 3 w/iPhone. However, occasionally, I see that my car doesn't lock when I walk away from the car after parking. I couldn't figure out why that was happening, but I think I figured it out.

After parking the car, if I open the driver door while I still have my foot on the brake pedal, it seems the car stays powered on as if I'm still in the car ready to drive. For example, usually, when I park and open the door, headlights and the screen turn off. But if I park and open the door w/my foot on the brake, the headlights and the screen stay on and the car doesn't lock itself.

Is this some sort of a feature? I guess you could use this feature if you need the headlights on while outside the car or if you want to keep the door unlocked (but then it'd drain the battery I assume?).

Hmm, nice to know. At the self serve car was I would prefer the car to stay on so the mirrors don’t fold and I can continue to listen to the radio. Lots of other quick stops too where you are coming back but don’t want to take your phone with you out of fear the car will lock with your phone inside.

Hmm, nice to know. At the self serve car was I would prefer the car to stay on so the mirrors don’t fold and I can continue to listen to the radio. Lots of other quick stops too where you are coming back but don’t want to take your phone with you out of fear the car will lock with your phone inside.
To keep mirrors unfolded at car wash, disable phone key (airplane mode or turn off Bluetooth), then tap key card to unlock.

Paraphrasing from Model 3 Owner's Manual:
Always have keycard on person to prevent being locked out of vehicle regardless of phone availability.

When I open my door after putting the car in Park the screen stays on and my radio volume goes lower. This happens with my foot off of the brake. When I walk away the car will lock. The only time the car won't "Walk Away Lock" is if I have used the card to unlock doors. In that case I have to use the card to lock the doors. The car wants you to lock it using the same method you used to unlock it.
Having your foot on the brake shouldn't make a difference. I believe my car is operating as it is designed to do.

Reactions: jdcollins5
Perhaps this only happens when the car is in an unlocked state (i.e., the lock on the display is unlocked).

For example, go to your car, open the door, get in, close the door, and step on the brake. Now the car is on. Put your foot back on the brake and open the door while holding the foot on the brake. Get out of the car and close the door. On my M3, the car stays running and the door does not lock when I walk away.

I tested with the foot on the brake and my car still locks at home as usual. For some reason, my car doesn’t auto lock at work.

Would be nice if it was reversed. I would prefer to keep it unlocked in garage and have my car auto lock at work.

I've been complaining about this issue since 48.12.1... I've had multiple times my car stays unlocked after a Summon procedure, I can duplicate it each time. There's a serious locking bug in the new software, keep complaining to Tesla to fix it. Other members have been having their cars broken into without any signs of forced entry as well

After you park, could you try opening and closing the door, and then open the door with foot on the brake?

When I park at work, I usually open the door to make sure my car is within the parking spot first. And then close the door and adjust as necessary (at which point car would still remain unlocked because I think it locks if you start driving fast). So when I open the door to leave my car with my foot on the brake, the car is already in unlocked mode.

I'm confused why would you still need to put your foot on the brake after your car is already in park?

I've have no issues with the walk away lock. I use the brake hold, remove foot from brake, press park, open door and walk away as car locks.
I don't think you have to. Sometimes when I'm in a rush, I park and open the door before I even take my foot off the brake (at which point the car puts itself to P without me pressing the Park button)

I think I finally figured it out.

Open the door while holding your foot on the brake. Lift your butt off the seat while still holding the foot on the brake. Now, your car will stay on even after closing the door and walk-away lock won't work.

I guess this is a variant of the known trick where you park, get out of the car, and then tap the brake pedal -- which keeps the car running.

I'm confused why would you still need to put your foot on the brake after your car is already in park?

I've have no issues with the walk away lock. I use the brake hold, remove foot from brake, press park, open door and walk away as car locks.
I tested with the foot on the brake and my car still locks at home as usual. For some reason, my car doesn’t auto lock at work.

Would be nice if it was reversed. I would prefer to keep it unlocked in garage and have my car auto lock at work.
I have wondered why the Tesla engineers haven't figured out a way to let you program the car for "don't lock @ home." I go out to my car all the time, and absolutely HATE that I have to unlock it or have my phone with me when I go out there. Should be a fairly simple thing.

I have my foot on the brake every time I open the door to exit the car. The Walk-Away lock works every time.

So I would be careful making such a blanket statement.
I was actually told by Tesla service last week that keeping the foot on the brake after I park might be why my M3 doesn't always turn off on walk away after their enginees studied several time stamps I sent them of this problem occurring with my car; it has been a frequent glitch since I got it right before Christmas 2018.

I have my foot on the brake every time I open the door to exit the car. The Walk-Away lock works every time.

So I would be careful making such a blanket statement.

I have never once had this happen to me (and I've never had problems with the walk-away lock except when I leave my phone in the car...), but I did experiment with it, and the OP appears to be correct.

However, as posted above, you have to have your butt out of the seat and the door open while keeping your foot on the brake (you can also reach into the car with your foot and press the brake to test). To me that is not the way I sequence things, and I never exit the car that way, which is why it has never happened to me.

I found it to be quite obvious when this happens - the front and rear lights were on and the stereo was still playing with the screen on, after I closed the door. (I don't have headlights configured to stay on when closing the door so this was a very evident behavior change for me.) Opening the door and closing it solves the problem and the car will then lock as normal.

Without the extra door open/close, I didn't sit around experimenting and waiting to see whether the car will eventually lock. I believe I've seen the car shut off if I sit for long enough in it without pressing the brake...but not sure if that will happen if no one was in the driver seat to start with.