Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Walk away lock: Is there a way to leave a person in the car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So often times I will park the car and need to run into a location for just a few minutes. Does the car know if a passenger has been left in the car so it won’t lock or sound the alarm? Seems like if I walk away the car will lock with the person inside and then if the person opens the door the alarm will go off.

So often times I will park the car and need to run into a location for just a few minutes. Does the car know if a passenger has been left in the car so it won’t lock or sound the alarm? Seems like if I walk away the car will lock with the person inside and then if the person opens the door the alarm will go off.

Assuming you use your cell phone as your "key", just leave your cell phone in the car with the passenger.

Good to know, b/c I unknowingly locked my wife in the car on Saturday by leaving the car with my phone. I walked about 50 yards away when the alarm went off as she opened her door to exit. She said the noise inside the car was so loud it was almost unbearable. Screen flashing at full brightness and audio playing at full volume. She said if anyone tried to steal the car with all that racket there is no way they could stand it.

Do this all the time and never have to do anything. It's never been an issue.
Ditto. The seats have weight sensors and [I assume] that’s why the car doesn’t lock when I leave someone in the car. My car is set to honk the horn when walking away/locking and it doesn’t do that when I leave someone in the car.

@Occhis, I wonder if the alarm went off cause a seat sensor didn’t register your wife sitting in a seat.

Good to know, b/c I unknowingly locked my wife in the car on Saturday by leaving the car with my phone. I walked about 50 yards away when the alarm went off as she opened her door to exit. She said the noise inside the car was so loud it was almost unbearable. Screen flashing at full brightness and audio playing at full volume. She said if anyone tried to steal the car with all that racket there is no way they could stand it.

Yep, I am 99% sure this is expected behavior. My son has had this happen to him a couple of times when I went in to grab a coffee and he unexpectedly tried to open the door, or has been slow to leave the car after we get home(and it has already locked).

Sure. Turn off walk-away lock and/or the alarm system. Both options are available in the car settings menu under LOCKS and SECURITY respectively.