TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Walk away lock question - horn?

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by biggator, Apr 3, 2013.

1. biggator

biggator Member

Wife asked if there was a way to enable an audible notification when the walk-away locks enabled. I couldn't find anything, but it seems like a logical thing (my Vette has this.. it beeps once when the locks engage after walking away).

It would be nice to hear the horn while you walk away so you KNOW that the thing locked. Yes, you can also check the app - but sometimes the car gets a bad 3g signal where she parks.

thoughts?

2. ckessel

ckessel Active Member

+1, great idea. I've often wondered if my car is really locking or not. I don't have a smart phone to check that way.

3. Jason S

Jason S Model S Sig Perf (P85)

When I first enabled the feature, I tested it -- walk away, hear the handles retract, leave fob behind and try to open it.

I just hear or see handles retract and take it that it works now. No worries.

4. Frankrb

Frankrb Member

+2 I would really like to be able to have the horn beep on locking (don't really care about the unlocking).

5. swegman

swegman Member

I like that it doesn't beep. My MB did not beep either. I always found the beeps annoying, especially in the middle of the night.

6. Sparrow

Sparrow S105/ Roadster 189

I don't pay alot of attention to it, but it is my impression that the lights blink when it auto locks.

7. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

My previous car could be configured to flash or not flash the lights and to honk or not honk the horn when auto-locking. I prefer the beep so that when I walk away from the car in a parking lot, I'm assured it's locked. Right now, without the beep I always lock with the fob before walking away just to be sure. (I do have walk away locking on). I wish Tesla would add a horn chirp option.

8. Sparrow

Sparrow S105/ Roadster 189

I tend to check my app to see if the doors are locked. So far they have always locked properly for me.

9. biggator

biggator Member

Good to hear it's not just her.. so no current option other than manual locking or check the app. Got it!

10. sp4rk

sp4rk Banned

On Toyota / Lexus cars, there is a very subtle beep when locking.

Cars that beep the horn full blast are ANNOYING any time of day.

I think that a future FW upgrade could switch this .. but does the mS have a "quiet" horn in addition to the LOUD one?

11. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

My previous Cadillac was like that. Just a subtle "chirp", not a loud honk. I don't think it's a "quiet" option... I think it's just a very carefully timed short burst of power to the horn.

12. Rodolfo Paiz

Rodolfo Paiz P85 "Plug and Play"

I'd love to see this too. While I believe the probability of my MS failing to lock is very low, the consequences (my discomfort and potential theft or vandalism of interior and contents) are very undesirable. So I end up manually locking most of the time despite having walk-away lock turned on. I'd love to have the option of a simple beep (BMW, for example, has an actual beep that is different from the horn) so I can confirm locking, but that is only loud enough to be heard within about 30-40 feet from the car to avoid disturbing others.