Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Walk away lock question - horn?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wife asked if there was a way to enable an audible notification when the walk-away locks enabled. I couldn't find anything, but it seems like a logical thing (my Vette has this.. it beeps once when the locks engage after walking away).

It would be nice to hear the horn while you walk away so you KNOW that the thing locked. Yes, you can also check the app - but sometimes the car gets a bad 3g signal where she parks.

thoughts?

I like that it doesn't beep. My MB did not beep either. I always found the beeps annoying, especially in the middle of the night.

My previous car could be configured to flash or not flash the lights and to honk or not honk the horn when auto-locking. I prefer the beep so that when I walk away from the car in a parking lot, I'm assured it's locked. Right now, without the beep I always lock with the fob before walking away just to be sure. (I do have walk away locking on). I wish Tesla would add a horn chirp option.

On Toyota / Lexus cars, there is a very subtle beep when locking.

Cars that beep the horn full blast are ANNOYING any time of day.

I think that a future FW upgrade could switch this .. but does the mS have a "quiet" horn in addition to the LOUD one?

On Toyota / Lexus cars, there is a very subtle beep when locking.

Cars that beep the horn full blast are ANNOYING any time of day.

I think that a future FW upgrade could switch this .. but does the mS have a "quiet" horn in addition to the LOUD one?

My previous Cadillac was like that. Just a subtle "chirp", not a loud honk. I don't think it's a "quiet" option... I think it's just a very carefully timed short burst of power to the horn.

I'd love to see this too. While I believe the probability of my MS failing to lock is very low, the consequences (my discomfort and potential theft or vandalism of interior and contents) are very undesirable. So I end up manually locking most of the time despite having walk-away lock turned on. I'd love to have the option of a simple beep (BMW, for example, has an actual beep that is different from the horn) so I can confirm locking, but that is only loud enough to be heard within about 30-40 feet from the car to avoid disturbing others.