Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"walk-away locking is temporarily suspended for one minute"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There's this little blurb in the owner's manual that I can't seem to understand:

"Note: If all doors are closed and Model 3 was
automatically unlocked by your authenticated
phone, walk-away locking is temporarily
suspended for one minute. If you open a door
within this minute, it will not re-lock until all
the doors are closed and you have walked
away with the authenticated phone."

What exactly is "suspended" in this one minute? The second part seems to just describe what is normal behavior.

In my experience the car always locks as soon as you walk away a few meters. There's no 1 minute window where it doesn't.

It is less than a min for me. Every morning I would open the passenger door, put my bag in, close the passenger door (timer starts), unplug the charger, hang it up, and by that time the door is locked again. I am pretty sure it takes less than 60 sec to unplug and hang the cord. Also all these time, I was less than a meter from the car.

"If all doors are closed and Model 3 was automatically unlocked by your authenticated
phone..."

This is the key clause. Let's say the car is locked and you walk toward it. It unlocks. Now if you walk away without opening any doors, the car will again lock itself after one minute.

I think that language was meant for the original behavior of walking in proximity to unlock (with phone as key). If u don't get in the car but just walk away, it won't lock for one minute.

They disabled that feature and now require you to pull the handle to unlock.

I only got my car two weeks ago so I never got a chance to try proximity unlock.

• Informative
Reactions: Need and dighn
I think that language was meant for the original behavior of walking in proximity to unlock (with phone as key). If u don't get in the car but just walk away, it won't lock for one minute.

They disabled that feature and now require you to pull the handle to unlock.

I only got my car two weeks ago so I never got a chance to try proximity unlock.

That sounds like it! It's confusing because it doesn't work like that now. I didn't even know that was a feature.