Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Walk-Away Mode Door only closes driver's door on my MX - why?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For some reason, the Walk-Away Door lock option only works if only the Driver's door is open. For example, when I park to have my family get out (Passenger or FWDs doors), and when we walk-away, no door are auto closed. Any idea why, please?

However, if/when the Driver Door is the only door that's open, it closes the Driver door when I Walk-Away with my fob to 15+ feet or so.

FYI, I have turned ON this feature via Controls > Vehicle > Walk-Away Door Lock.

From page 127 of the manual, in the "Controls" section...

• Automatic Doors: If on, the driver's door opens whenever you approach Model X and the key is detected. The door also opens when you double-click the key and the passenger door opens with a subsequent double-click. If not enabled, the door (or doors) unlock, but you'll need to open the driver's door manually. See Opening and Closing Front Doors from Outside Model X on page 12).

• Close All With Key Fob: If on, all doors (and the rear trunk) close and lock when you single-click the key's lock/unlock button (if off, you must triple-click this button).

• Driver Door Unlock Mode: If on, only the driver's door unlocks when you shift Model X into Park. If off, all doors unlock.

• Walk-Away Door Lock: If on, doors automatically lock when you walk away from the vehicle, carrying your key with you (see Walk-Away Door Lock).

Reactions: XHokie
This is definitely working as designed on the Model X...only the Driver's side door closes when you walkaway, not all the others. It's always been that way. The other doors can all be closed at once by just clicking the center "roof" lock on the key fob. However, not just by walking away...

Reactions: goneskiian
Thank you all. I thought I read somewhere that it was possible on ALL doors including the trunk which will Auto-close itself after you walk-away from the MX. Was it always just the Driver's door that Auto Close or did Tesla reconfigured with one of their Firmware update?

Is it possible to close all doors using the brake pedal?
I think this would be dangerous because you could easily forget to give everyone time to get in/clear the fwd. I know I'm often in the car first and press the brake so I can enter the PIN and be ready to go. Or I'm in the car, fiercely guarding it, while my wife shops. As I see her approach, like a true gentleman, I press a button to open the door for her, then press the brake to enter the PIN while she's still getting in.