Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

walk-on feature

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I never had car looses Bluetooth connection in last year, and I mean like never.
When you walk away from the car it loses the connection. BT has a very limited range so unless you stay within a 30 to 50 feet or so of your car 24/7 it loses the connection. Just try walking away from your phone while using BT headphones and you will see you won't get far before the sound drops out. It may lock when thew signal strength reaches a certain threshold but it is based on losing or about to lose the BT signal.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Pemple
When you walk away from the car it loses the connection. BT has a very limited range so unless you stay within a 30 to 50 feet or so of your car 24/7 it loses the connection. Just try walking away from your phone while using BT headphones and you will see you won't get far before the sound drops out. It may lock when thew signal strength reaches a certain threshold but it is based on losing or about to lose the BT signal.

Oh nm.. I knew that part. I though you mean it was loosing bluetooth connection when he was right next to or inside a car. Sorry.

I never had car looses Bluetooth connection in last year, and I mean like never.

There are two different types of bluetooth connections the phone makes to the car. The "regular" one that the car uses for streaming music etc, and a bluetooth type called "Bluetooth LE" which is a very short range, that is used for the phone as key,

The connection that @JulienW is speaking to dropping when you leave the car, is the bluetooth LE connection (if you look at your phone you may see a bunch of bluetooth connections with numbers instead of names. Its those).

OP, you have to basically "keep walking". It doesnt lock when you get out the car and close the door, its when you get out the car, close the door, and walk away a certain distance. As mentioned by @flyingowl , it tends to be much more comforting to turn on beep on lock, because you can hear it then. I still (after 2 years of owning the car, having this feature on) pull out my smartphone when I am walking into a store or something to verify the lock in the tesla app is locked.

its a nice feature that it will show whether its open or locked in the tesla app.

=============================

TL ; DR for OP --- Turn on beep on lock, and keep walking farther away from the car. It should work.