Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Walk up unlock/lock

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been reading the latest version of the manual and have a question about using these features. It sounds like we will have to disable the Walk Up Unlock because of the proximity of our kitchen to the driveway. My question is if Unlock is off, you use a keycard to unlock, but you have an authenticated phone (so you can use other features), will the Walk Away Lock still work?

The section on Walk Away Lock is unclear and I think this would have to be tested to be certain.

On the plus side, you can authenticate 19 phones (not 3 as the original manual implied). Three seems to be the limit on how many phones can be connected at the same time.

Walk-up Unlock is completely separate from Walk-away Locking. Yes, you can disable walk-up Unlock and the car will still lock itself when you park, get out, and walk away from the car.
Just checked this to make sure, and it works great.

And, as i posted elsewhere disabling walk-up unlock doesn't actually make the car ANY harder to unlock and get in. The difference is just that when enabled, the car unlocks when you get close to the car, and when disabled it unlocks the moment you touch the door handle. Either way, the same effort and amount of time to enter your car.

Also, be aware that when the key portion of the app is "connected," unless you are immediately adjacent to the car (within 5-6 feet), the car will remain locked. It may make some odd noises when connected but not unlocked, but those worried about their phones being in proximity causing security issues should be relieved.

Walk-up Unlock is completely separate from Walk-away Locking. Yes, you can disable walk-up Unlock and the car will still lock itself when you park, get out, and walk away from the car.

And, as i posted elsewhere disabling walk-up unlock doesn't actually make the car ANY harder to unlock and get in. The difference is just that when enabled, the car unlocks when you get close to the car, and when disabled it unlocks the moment you touch the door handle. Either way, the same effort and amount of time to enter your car.

Well these are some good news for me. I was a little worried about my phone fighting with my wifes phone when we both approach TM3 at a same time. But from your description it would be best to disable walk-up unlock and whoever press the driver door handle first will have his profile loaded as a drives profile? Am I correct? Does anyone have any experience with this? 2 phones linked to TM3 and both phones approaching the car at the same time?

At the moment, the phones aren't lined to profiles. Maybe that's coming.

My wife and I haven't found it to be a problem. The car assumes that whoever drove it last is entering the car when it unlocks via any registered phone-key. But this isn't a problem if you've enabled "Easy Access" for both drivers, the car will have the seats pushed pretty far back and steering wheel raised, then wait until the driver is seated and touches brake. It will show which driver's profile is set, and the seat will start moving to that driver's setting. if it's the "other" driver, they tap their name on the display and it stops moving towards first person's setting and switches to the right person's setting.

I've made it sound more complicated than it is... it's very easy.

Had Tesla NOT implemented Easy Access yet, then this would be much more difficult.

In fact, maybe phone-linked profiles won't ever be desirable. there are too many cases in my family where multiple drivers' phones will all be in/near the car and the car won't be able to determine who is actually haded for the driver's seat. The way it is works fine.

Does it unlock all the doors or just the door that you touch? What is the use case for having "Walk Up Unlock" ON? Seems like I would always want it OFF.

Does it unlock all the doors or just the door that you touch? What is the use case for having "Walk Up Unlock" ON? Seems like I would always want it OFF.
It unlocks all the doors at once. I don't see an option anywhere to change this to driver's door only.

I think you're pointing out something important - there's almost no functionality difference between walk-up unlock on or off. When it's on, the lights flash and the mirrors start moving outwards as you walk up. So MAYBE the mirrors are in position slightly sooner (1-2 seconds) than if you have the option off? Maybe passengers will get the visual indication car is unlocked with the flash of lights and moving mirrors? Maybe if someone is prone to grabbing the handle super fast and yanking it, the "off" setting might not have unlocked doors fast enough? But I honestly can't think of any real advantage.

It unlocks all the doors at once. I don't see an option anywhere to change this to driver's door only.

I think you're pointing out something important - there's almost no functionality difference between walk-up unlock on or off. When it's on, the lights flash and the mirrors start moving outwards as you walk up. So MAYBE the mirrors are in position slightly sooner (1-2 seconds) than if you have the option off? Maybe passengers will get the visual indication car is unlocked with the flash of lights and moving mirrors? Maybe if someone is prone to grabbing the handle super fast and yanking it, the "off" setting might not have unlocked doors fast enough? But I honestly can't think of any real advantage.

A few times it's taken a second or two to unlock for me when holding the handle in with my thumb. Not a big deal.

Maybe passengers will get the visual indication car is unlocked with the flash of lights and moving mirrors? Maybe if someone is prone to grabbing the handle super fast and yanking it, the "off" setting might not have unlocked doors fast enough? But I honestly can't think of any real advantage.
If you have small children and they run to the car to get in first, it would be unlocked so they don't start jerking on the handle. If you have groceries, you go to the trunk/frunk first to unload and the car is unlocked?

Also, be aware that when the key portion of the app is "connected," unless you are immediately adjacent to the car (within 5-6 feet), the car will remain locked. It may make some odd noises when connected but not unlocked, but those worried about their phones being in proximity causing security issues should be relieved.

So, I guess it depends on where the bluetooth antenna is located, because the microwave in our kitchen is about 6 ft from where the charge port will have to be positioned. Sounds like we will go with unlock disabled.