Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Walkaway lock at home ... I don’t want it

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't understand, My car is locked in the garage but it is unlocked when I reach for the door handle. What is not to like? You are not using your phone?
I do NOT carry my phone on me when I'm at home, so I go out to my car and then remember that it locked on me (which, like the guy in Canada, I NEVER need in my own driveway) and have to go back into my house to get my phone. It's amazing to me that people can't think outside their own box. Just because most people are tethered to their cells doesn't mean everybody is, and doesn't mean Tesla should limit their software.

Last edited:
Reactions: SDKoala
Is it too much to ask of Tesla Engineers to allow a modicum of programability to the walkaway lock function on the Tesla App? Tesla didn't give the M3 an option for a smart fob. You straight up have to fish out old school the one you can purchase for $150 and tap a button to lock/unlock. What comes standard is a card or your phone's bluetooth as the key. I can't tell you how many times my neighbors have heard me shout (and I live in a very rural area) "F#%k!" when I go out to my driveway to fetch something from my car but forgot it automatically locked behind me. It's terribly frustrating not being able to get into your own car in your own driveway without having your phone on you.

It should be easy enough to be able to program certain locations as exempt from the walkaway lock function. Or am I missing something obvious?

Is it too much to ask to make the request without sounding like an entitled brat?

This feature, or lack thereof, was literally the very first WTF moment I had after getting home from delivery. Second being auto-assigning driver profile based on phone / keycard.

I get that some may disagree on the use-case for locking or not when at home but I don't understand that this isn't at least an option when we have the smallest of features such as auto open/close Homelink. If auto-open/close Homelink wasn't available, some would be arguing about how asinine of a request that would be since it's so "easy" to open/close the garage yourself, but here we are...

The beauty of all these features we have on our Tesla's is that they provide convenience. For some, auto-locking at home is a big oversight and is an inconvenience. From the very start, there should have been a "Home" category in the settings, with auto-locking being option #1.

The stuff in my garage is way more valuable than the stuff I leave in my car. Also if a thief has already broken into your garage they'll probably have no qualms about breaking into your car.

My garage has all the tools necessary to 'unlock' the car, not to mention now easy access to the house.

If you get into the garage, you are intent on your purpose and nothing is going to stop you.

I too would like to disable auto-locking at "home" and if I park it in the driveway or on the street, it's on me to intentionally lock it.

All we're asking for is an "option" - people who don't want this are welcome to keep it off. Just like Sentry mode now auto-enables except certain locations, same for auto-lock, should be simple enough.

Reactions: Stellavator
I work to avoid having my phone with me at all times. Anyway, whether I'm an anomaly or not, it's an easy program tweak and they should fix it since they didn't give M3 a decent fob and touch lock on the door.

You bought a car that requires a phone as a key. ???
This is your issue, not Tesla’s.
It’s an expensive fix, not an easy one.
Have you ever programmed a car before. ?
I doubt the FOB would make you any happier.
Why not just buy a FOB and see if it helps.
“It’s an easy fix” to just buy a FOB” right.

I do NOT carry my phone on me when I'm at home, so I go out to my car and then remember that it locked on me (which, like the guy in Canada, I NEVER need in my own driveway) and have to go back into my house to get my phone. It's amazing to me that people can think outside their own box. Just because most people are tethered to their cells doesn't mean everybody is, and doesn't mean Tesla should limit their software.

So grab your phone, your key card, or buy a FOB .. ?
It’s amazing, the level of entitlement that you feel you are deserving of, by asking Tesla to fix problems they never promised.

This feature, or lack thereof, was literally the very first WTF moment I had after getting home from delivery. Second being auto-assigning driver profile based on phone / keycard.

I get that some may disagree on the use-case for locking or not when at home but I don't understand that this isn't at least an option when we have the smallest of features such as auto open/close Homelink. If auto-open/close Homelink wasn't available, some would be arguing about how asinine of a request that would be since it's so "easy" to open/close the garage yourself, but here we are...

The beauty of all these features we have on our Tesla's is that they provide convenience. For some, auto-locking at home is a big oversight and is an inconvenience. From the very start, there should have been a "Home" category in the settings, with auto-locking being option #1.

Not an oversight. A nice feature to have for sure, but not an oversight.
Not sure what your previous car was, but how many oversights did you ask them to fix for free ?

God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change; courage to change the things I can; and wisdom to know the difference.

Electric Chic, just curious, how much research did you put into the Model 3 before you decided to purchase? I can certainly understand your frustration BUT, as I read your posts, I am led to believe you are unhappy that you did(?)

• Disagree
Reactions: Stellavator
Calling it an oversight and implying this should be there as a result is entitlement. :)
We all bought the car with absolutely no documentation stating or implying they would add functionality to the door locks...

Entitlement is someone feeling they are deserving of special treatment or have the right to something. Such as additional functionality never promised to door locks ....
Good God, the fanboyism in this thread.. Entitlement implies I believe I'm owed something, and that has absolutely nothing to do with whether Tesla has committed an oversight. I would still call it an oversight if I didn't even own a Tesla. I never said I'm owed this feature, nor that I'm upset at them for not offering it. They should, and I have every right to feel irritated when my car locks itself in my garage without my direct action, but I'm not going to swear off Tesla or sell my car if they don't.

Even the almighty Tesla, in their infinite wisdom, occasionally misses things. Sentry Mode shares the majority of it's essential function (to secure the vehicle while not in use) with the locking/alarm system, and the fact that you can disable it in select locations should tell you that this is something that belongs on the locking function as well. This IS an oversight, and one I'm quite confident will eventually be corrected.

Last edited:
I paid $60k+ for my car, I should be entitled to 2005 era technology. Don't even get me started on the aruto wiper function being worse than useless because it's dangerous.

You are entitled to the car that you paid for, as it was delivered to you. You are LUCKY that Tesla is able enhance and change these things, that those cars from 2005 couldn't ever dream of.

Everyone knows that it's possible to do what you want. Tesla alone understands their current list of priorities and the effort required to make the change. Is it an unrealistic or outlandish request? Absolutely not (and it wasnt the two dozen other times people have asked for it either). The way that YOU are handling the issue is the only thing here thats wrong.

I simply don't understand the level of arguing about the need for this feature. Do all of you who are arguing against it carry your phone with you 100% of the time? Or do you only go out to your car when you are ready to drive away in it? WTF? Man there is a level of judgement on here that's been off the scale lately. Can't we all just get along?

This is far from an unreasonable request. I can't tell you how many times I have walked out to the car to get my laptop, to get something out of the center console, to get my lunch bag, whatever, and the car is locked. My keycard is in my wallet, but I don't carry my wallet around when I am just lounging around the house, do most of you? Likewise, my phone is likely sitting in the family room, the kitchen, the kitchen table, whatever. It's not glued to my hand, and that's hard to believe as much as I use it.

Also, when my kids / wife go to get in the car, sometimes they are ahead of me (lol, not often) in going out to the garage and getting in the car. I may still be grabbing a water / coffee to go, grabbing my phone (ironic), or whatever where the phone is out of range of the car. I come out to them, not comfortably seated in the car getting ready to go, but standing in the garage next to a locked car.

Walk away lock is very useful, I love it at work and wherever the car is out, hence the reason I use it. I suppose I could turn it off and lock the car manually every time, but it's a PITA to grab the phone, open the app, wait for it to connect, and hit lock vs. the keyless entry or even just pressing a key fob which can easily be activated in my pocket without pulling it out and looking.

So yes, this IS a design flaw, related to Tesla's not offering keyless entry or a key fob. It should have the same pop up that Sentry mode does, and the ability to enable / disable at certain locations.

I simply don't understand the level of arguing about the need for this feature. Do all of you who are arguing against it carry your phone with you 100% of the time? Or do you only go out to your car when you are ready to drive away in it? WTF?

This is far from an unreasonable request. I can't tell you how many times I have walked out to the car to get my laptop, to get something out of the center console, to get my lunch bag, whatever, and the car is locked. My keycard is in my wallet, but I don't carry my wallet around when I am just lounging around the house, do most of you? Likewise, my phone is likely sitting in the family room, the kitchen, the kitchen table, whatever. It's not glued to my hand, and that's hard to believe as much as I use it.

Also, when my kids / wife go to get in the car, sometimes they are ahead of me (lol, not often) in going out to the garage and getting in the car. I may still be grabbing a water / coffee to go, grabbing my phone (ironic), or whatever where the phone is out of range of the car. I come out to them, not comfortably seated in the car getting ready to go, but standing in the garage next to a locked car.

Walk away lock is very useful, I love it at work and wherever the car is out, hence the reason I use it. I suppose I could turn it off and lock the car manually every time, but it's a PITA to grab the phone, open the app, wait for it to connect, and hit lock vs. the keyless entry or even just pressing a key fob which can easily be activated in my pocket without pulling it out and looking. So yes, this IS a design flaw, related to Tesla's not offering keyless entry or a key fob. It should have the same pop up that Sentry mode does, and the ability to enable / disable at certain locations.

I don't think its an unreasonable request at all. I simply think that the overall tone and reaction from OP is childish and reeks of entitlement.

I paid $60k+ for my car, I should be entitled to 2005 era technology. Don't even get me started on the aruto wiper function being worse than useless because it's dangerous.
If this car had one of those key fobs, you'd have to carry that key fob with you just to have that functionality. Just carry your phone instead. Same process, different device. Simply replaces that 2005 era technology with something else that's useful aside from locking or unlocking.