Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Walkaway lock at home ... I don’t want it

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can’t say how excited I am that Tesla finally added the missing feature to exclude a home location from the walk away lock function, as I can with Sentry mode. And I’m sorry that there are so many who live in areas where they can’t even leave their car in their own garage, without fear of theft. I guess living on a remote country property has it’s advantages! I don’t have a garage, but feel safe having valuable merchandise left on my doorstep.

Reactions: txwoodchuck
I can’t say how excited I am that Tesla finally added the missing feature to exclude a home location from the walk away lock function, as I can with Sentry mode. And I’m sorry that there are so many who live in areas where they can’t even leave their car in their own garage, without fear of theft. I guess living on a remote country property has it’s advantages! I don’t have a garage, but feel safe having valuable merchandise left on my doorstep.

Reactions: txwoodchuck
I also agree that this feature would be great. I don't carry my phone around the house all of the time (I'm old I suppose) and when I want to head out to the garage and get something from the car, 90% of the time I go "oh s**t" and turn around and get my phone. Sentry now has a nice checkbox to disable at home, work or favorites. Something similar for walk away lock would be perfect.

And I also don't get why people who don't agree with a customization suggestion that multiple people obviously would like (based on several responses here) fight against it...
I’d been wondering the same thing since I made the OP. Such antagonism in defense of their god Elon. Sycophants you think?

I’d been wondering the same thing since I made the OP. Such antagonism in defense of their god Elon. Sycophants you think?
Actually, no, for the most part. It's the nature of social media, including this one. I am continually amazed at the number of people who get all worked up because someone's likes are different from theirs. Apparently in this Facebook world we are not allowed our own opinions even when they do not affect anyone else. It is quite amazing. And depressing.

That really doesn’t explain the defensive, aggressive nastiness of some of the replies I got. I LOVE this tweak that Tesla made. I feel badly that there are people who would never feel safe leaving their cars unlocked even in their own garage. But for those same people to think, “Because I can’t imagine leaving MY car unlocked at home, you shouldn’t need it either unless you’re an entitled, dissatisfied whiner,” is not only narrow minded, but supremely unhelpful to furthering a productive discussion. I wasn’t asking for a vote on whether or not this feature would be useful to 100% of M3 drivers. I was merely saying that I would’ve liked it to have been a more flexible app, like Sentry mode, in the hopes that others who felt the same might influence Tesla to reconsider the rigidity of Walk away lock.

Thankfully, the engineers at Tesla DID feel it a worthy improvement, and I couldn’t be happier.