Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Walkaway lock at home ... I don’t want it

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is it too much to ask of Tesla Engineers to allow a modicum of programability to the walkaway lock function on the Tesla App? Tesla didn't give the M3 an option for a smart fob. You straight up have to fish out old school the one you can purchase for $150 and tap a button to lock/unlock. What comes standard is a card or your phone's bluetooth as the key. I can't tell you how many times my neighbors have heard me shout (and I live in a very rural area) "F#%k!" when I go out to my driveway to fetch something from my car but forgot it automatically locked behind me. It's terribly frustrating not being able to get into your own car in your own driveway without having your phone on you.

It should be easy enough to be able to program certain locations as exempt from the walkaway lock function. Or am I missing something obvious?

Last edited:
Is it too much to ask of Tesla Engineers to allow a modicum of programability to the walkaway lock function on the Tesla App? Tesla didn't give the M3 an option for a smart fob. You straight up have to fish out old school the one you can purchase for $150 and tap a button to lock/unlock. What comes standard is a card or your phone's bluetooth as the key. I can't tell you how many times my neighbors have heard me shout (and I live in a very rural area) "F#%k!" when I go out to my driveway to fetch something from my car but forgot it automatically locked behind me. It's terribly frustrating not being able to get into your own car in your own driveway without having your phone on you.

It should be easy enough to be able to program certain locations as exempt from the walkaway lock function. Or am I missing something obvious?

You can turn off the auto-lock. One clumsy workaround would be to create a different profile with auto lock turned off and just switch to it when you get home.

You want your car unlocked in your driveway? We have had a rash of burglaries in my area where people (likely kids) go to cars and check to see if their cars are unlocked because people do exactly what you just said. I’m pretty happy with the auto lock mechanism. I usually take my phone wherever I go anyway, much like I would a key.
I absolutely do NOT want my car locked at home, period. If someone parks in an area where they have to worry about break-ins, then they don't have to care about this restrictive function. But many, if not most people have garages, and I live in a rural area where the only thing I'd worry about is wild turkey poop on the hood. Anyway, just because YOU don't need it doesn't mean that it wouldn't be a useful option for loads of other people.

If you want to lock your car by hand, turn off auto lock and then always lock it by hand. I’d think that would handle your case. I’ve never even see this come up before so you can see how most people want the car to behave.

Still, your choice. Two profiles would work also.

You want your car unlocked in your driveway? We have had a rash of burglaries in my area where people (likely kids) go to cars and check to see if their cars are unlocked because people do exactly what you just said. I’m pretty happy with the auto lock mechanism. I usually take my phone wherever I go anyway, much like I would a key.
This isn't the point. Having a box to check for "disable at home/work/favorites" (just like sentry mode does) would obviously not impact those that like the feature enabled everywhere. I will never understand why folks will argue against having more functionality...

OP is right, the fact that this level of customisation of auto lock doesn't exist is an oversight.

No offense but it sounds like you just want Tesla to program a special mode to protect you from yourself. You can easily fix the problem by carrying your key card in your wallet. That way if you forget your phone, you can unlock the car with the key card. Or if you don't want to use the key card, just remember to take your phone with you. Your phone is your car key after all. What if you forgot to grab your car keys? Same problem!

I like the walk away lock feature...sometimes.

When I'm heading into the office, yep!

When I'm walking into the grocery store, yep!

When I'm hanging the charging cable in the garage about 7 feet away, FFS NO!

Not that big of a deal (for me), but I'd like my mirrors to do less unnecessary folding. I don't want to find out how soon those motors will fail.

I absolutely do NOT want my car locked at home, period. If someone parks in an area where they have to worry about break-ins, then they don't have to care about this restrictive function. But many, if not most people have garages, and I live in a rural area where the only thing I'd worry about is wild turkey poop on the hood. Anyway, just because YOU don't need it doesn't mean that it wouldn't be a useful option for loads of other people.
My father's house has a large gate and all the parking is hidden in the back yard. Anytime I am visiting, I notice that they make sure the cars are locked AND the gate is closed every time. The OP has no idea how the criminal mind works.

• Disagree
Reactions: MKVTDI
No offense but it sounds like you just want Tesla to program a special mode to protect you from yourself. You can easily fix the problem by carrying your key card in your wallet. That way if you forget your phone, you can unlock the car with the key card. Or if you don't want to use the key card, just remember to take your phone with you. Your phone is your car key after all. What if you forgot to grab your car keys? Same problem!
Never had this problem with any car in at least 10 years because keyless entry has been around for SUCH a long time. I'm used to cars that lock if you're outside it with the fob and tap the door handle. Loads of cars have had this for years. It's fast and efficient, but also way more expensive, which is maybe why it's not available on the M3. The key card we were given costs about $5 as compared to a programmable fob, let alone the cost of technology to be able to lock on touch. Since I lock my car only about 60% of the time, it's an unnecessary inconvenience.

"Special mode?" like the Fart on Turn Signal? This car is basically a computer on wheels; they could simply add a feature to the walkaway lock program which allows you to specify "Except when located___" If they had given me a 2005 era fob and a door handle locking function, I'd have no complaint. Leaving Bluetooth on at all times, or toggling it on and off just to access my car is inconvenient and inefficient. They could salvage this restriction which is obviously a result of cutting a cost corner with a programming tweak and nothing more. If they don't, I might regress several years and pop for the M3 fob that requires you to push a button to lock or unlock. Basically, I don't want to be fussing with cards or phones every time I get into my car. I'm surprised anyone does.

Reactions: Dr. J
I also want this feature. It's similar to auto fold mirrors at location. Just have a no auto-lock at location feature. It is annoying when my wife or kids get to the garage before me and can't get in the car without waiting for me. I like the auto lock at all other locations...

But will it be able to discern between the car being IN the garage or right out front on the driveway?

Reactions: 67King