Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Walkthrough for state tax breaks/credits for Model S buyers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No worries, Chad. Good to have the real scoop from a Roadster owner.

Quick follow-up:

Bellevue rep indicated that getting a second set of wheels at time of purchase avoids the sales tax.

In contrast, getting the HPC with the vehicle or later has the same sales tax avoidance in WA. Correct or incorrect?

Bellevue rep indicated that getting a second set of wheels at time of purchase avoids the sales tax.
In contrast, getting the HPC with the vehicle or later has the same sales tax avoidance in WA. Correct or incorrect?

Those are both correct according to my non-official reading of the not-completely-clear law.

In real life, the state is not likely to check, so what really matters is the vendor's reading of the law. If Tesla says they want to be safe and collect sales tax (why should they risk legal trouble to save you money if the law is vague?), you may be stuck paying it. But if the Bellevue store is saying you don't have to pay it, you are probably safe...

More NJ

We all know about the 7,500 federal tax credit, but getting the information about what to do for state tax breaks/credits may be a little difficult. Personally I had to call 3 times in order to get the correct information (2 of the people said there was none for NJ)

For New Jersey

http://www.state.nj.us/treasury/taxation/pdf/other_forms/sales/st4.pdf
You have to cite the N.J.S.A. 54:32B-8.55 when filling out the forms

Please feel free to add for other states so we can build up a database for what to do

Thanks:biggrin: - no need for everybody to repeat the 1.5 hrs you spent! This forum will become the how-to guide by state.

Wanted to tack on the additional NJ link to explanatory text and quaifying vehicle lists:
NJ Division of Taxation - Sales Tax Exemption - Zero Emission Vehicle (ZEV)

(Imagine trying to get money back from the tax man after paying in error...:eek:)

Quebec offers a rebate which will be paid directly by the provincial government to the dealer. In 2012 an EV will qualify for the full amount which is $8000. They will also offer 50% of the cost (up to a max of $1000) for the installation of an charge station. One condition however seems to be that it must be equipped with a j1772 connector. I wonder if getting an HPC and having a j1772 adapter for the car qualifies ...

here is the site explaining the rebate ... (sorry but i cannot find a version in english).
Programme de rabais à l'achat ou à la location - Véhicules électriques

Just for completeness: New York State has *practically nothing*. (I didn't look in detail into the business income tax stuff; I think there are some deductions for business purchase of alternative fuel vehicles.)

The sum total of NY's benefits for non-businesses: Access to the HOV lanes on the Long Island Expressway system.

Not even any other HOV lanes which may be present in the state. Yow.

This is called the "CleanPass" program.

The Model S comes with a J1772 adapter, so you could just get a J1772 Clipper Creek EVSE.

that's an interesting idea. never really thought of anything other than a 14-50 connection or a tesla hpc. I guess it depends on how simple it is to manage the tesla adapter and the cost of installing a clipper creek evse (minus the rebate) as opposed to the cost of installing a nema 14-50 socket. The bonus of the hpc is that i don't have to always take out the adapter and then replace it in the frunk when i'm done. Both the 14-50 and non-tesla evse options means that i have to consider getting a second cable if i want that convenience ...

Just for completeness: New York State has *practically nothing*. (I didn't look in detail into the business income tax stuff; I think there are some deductions for business purchase of alternative fuel vehicles.)

The sum total of NY's benefits for non-businesses: Access to the HOV lanes on the Long Island Expressway system.

Not even any other HOV lanes which may be present in the state. Yow.

This is called the "CleanPass" program.
I too had looked into NY's EV incentive program and found nothing. Very surprising for a large state with potential for significant EV growth.

Long-term follow-up: Tesla has changed their mind on this. If you want a second set of wheels now, they won't even let you add them to your order, because that would be aiding tax evasion. I have to order my second set of wheels separately.

I guess it makes sense; the second set of tires will be used later, and aren't needed to make the car go. AFAIK all other accessories get the sales tax waiver.

Long-term follow-up: Tesla has changed their mind on this. If you want a second set of wheels now, they won't even let you add them to your order, because that would be aiding tax evasion. I have to order my second set of wheels separately.

I guess it makes sense; the second set of tires will be used later, and aren't needed to make the car go. AFAIK all other accessories get the sales tax waiver.
"tax evasion"? That's quite a stretch. Nonetheless, thanks for the heads up.

Texas (at least DFW, I think Austin is a little more progressive in its thinking) has next to nothing, it would seem, though the PlugInAmerica site says this:

PIA.jpg

I've Googled everywhere, but cannot find any backup to this statement...anyone have any ideas? Is there a chance it'll happen before next Spring...please pretty please...?!?

Texas (at least DFW, I think Austin is a little more progressive in its thinking) has next to nothing, it would seem, though the PlugInAmerica site says this:

View attachment 9107

I've Googled everywhere, but cannot find any backup to this statement...anyone have any ideas? Is there a chance it'll happen before next Spring...please pretty please...?!?

I'd guess there is little chance this would happen in Texas anytime soon. They were talking about this a few years ago but nothing ever happened with it. Would be great if it happened though.

I found a state incentive in New York!

This is *totally* unclear at the DMV offices, but I went to the source and read the state law:

("Consolidated Laws, VAT section 401, subsection 6", available at NYS Assembly website -- search for "New York Statutes")
6. Registration fees. a. The following fees shall be paid to the
commissioner, or agent, upon the registration or reregistration of a
motor vehicle, including a suburban, in accordance with the provisions
of this article:
If such motor vehicle, fully equipped, weighs thirty-five hundred
pounds or less, eighty-one cents for each one hundred pounds or major
fraction thereof; if such motor vehicle, fully equipped, weighs more
than thirty-five hundred pounds, eighty-one cents for each one hundred
pounds up to thirty-five hundred pounds, and one dollar and twenty-one
cents for each hundred pounds, or major fraction thereof, in excess of
thirty-five hundred pounds; provided, however, that the total fees for
the registration or reregistration of any passenger motor vehicle
propelled by electricity shall be sixteen dollars and eighteen cents, of
a six, eight, or twelve cylinder motor vehicle not less than sixteen
dollars and eighteen cents, and of any other motor vehicle not less than
twelve dollars and ninety-five cents; and provided further that for
motor vehicles described in subdivision seven of this section, the fee
for such registration shall be as therein prescribed."

Read that carefully. What that means is that the registration fee for electric vehicles in New York State is not based on weight. This is good; if it were based on weight, the model S registration would be $110 for two years. In fact, the registration is $32.36.

WARNING: The DMV may attempt to collect the $110. The DMV's web page says, misleadingly, in several places, that $32.36 is the *minimum* fee for an electric car. This is *not correct* and is *contrary to law*, but I wouldn't put it past them to try to collect the larger fee anyway.

This should be interesting. I intend to give them a lot of trouble if they attempt to collect a larger registration fee than they're supposed to.

Last edited:
I found a state incentive in New York!

I can just picture you standing in my local DMV office with a laptop opened to the NYS Assembly web site, arguing with the lady behind the counter. :biggrin:

Edit: Oh crap, just realized you're after me. Perhaps some of us should make a preemptive call on Gov Cuomo, as he seems to be the only intelligent life in Albany.