Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wall box brand chargers, any experiences?.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Tesla chargers have been back ordered too long. Like the units that come with the cars. I’m looking at alternates level 2 unit to fix into the garage and keep the Tesla portable unit in the car at all times. . I have the 14/50 outlet to just plug in hopefully. Anyone have any experience with the Wall Box brand chargers?

I have a WallBox Pulsar Plus (since November) hard-wired, 48A charging, 60A breaker. At the time I was trying to get the JuiceBox 48 which was perpetually out of stock. So far I am happy with the unit. 25 ft cable is good. Certainly seems more mobile app and portal options than Tesla charger. I leave the adapter permanently attached (bought a second one so I have the mobile charger setup with my in my car always). Some reviews mention the cable is somewhat stiffer than desirable in colder weather, but I am in California, so no worries there anyway. I do prefer hard-wired over plug just because I do not plan to plug/unplug much at all, and plugs eventually wear. The side benefit of getting 48A charging instead of 32A is marginal in my case, but welcome. My unit is outside, so stealing it is a little harder too this way.

I use a Clipper Creek wall charger. I had one when I owned the first year of the Nissan Leaf at my old house. Once I got my Tesla Model 3, I purchased another one since it worked so well. Now I have the Model Y and it's still humming along. They make all sizes depending on your needs. My first one was installed in my garage but I don't have a garage anymore so I have one of their rugged models. I purchased it with a key lock meaning that I have to put my key into it before installing it into my car. Then I remove my key. It will charge my car based on whatever charging schedule I have set up until I remove it. This way if someone trys to use it, without the key, it will not charge.

Reactions: jcanoe
ClipperCreek manufactures some of the most rugged, reliable electric vehicle service equipment (EVSE) available. Although ClipperCreek products cost more than some other brands the quality is first rate, should last well beyond the 3 year warranty. Although rarely needed, ClipperCreek's customer service is very responsive. To date ClipperCreek has not marketed an internet connected, i.e. smart EVSE. In a few states, i.e. MN at least one public power utility offers an EVSE that incorporates ClipperCreek EVSE with smart charging technology.

• Informative
Reactions: Johnny Vector
I have a Grizzle-e Duo charging my Model 3 SR+ and Y LR. It's built like a tank and was relatively affordable for a double EVSE. It maxes out at 40 amps when one car is plugged in, 32 when both are plugged in but only one is charging, and does 20 amps to each when both are charging. Mine is on a 6-50 plug and a 50 amp breaker, so the 40 amp limit works for me. They have a selection of single-cord units and may be worth looking into as an alternative to the HPWC.

• Informative
Reactions: jcanoe
We have a Wall Box for another car and are happy with it. Well made and lets us schedule charging which is all we needed from it. It has an LED status bar that seems impossible to disable which strikes me as a waste of energy, but probably not very much.

I don't see any real advantage over the Tesla EVSE though, since Teslas have good built-in charge scheduling.