Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wall Charger 3 suddenly stopped working in weird way.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

phantasms

Mr Self Destruct
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2019
White Mountains, NH
Some ghost story stuff right here. I've got two HPWC 3rd gens in my garage. My P3 was plugged into one and charging. I was about to go on a trip and I was fiddling around with the mobile connector in the trunk. As soon as I pulled out the adapter from the mobile connector, which was not powered or plugged into anything, my wall charger stopped charging and showed one red light. It's almost as if when I pulled the 30A adapter from the mobile connector it somehow sent a fault signal out which killed the Wall Charger. Sounds insane but that's exactly when it failed. When the wall charger is plugged in the car shows red and the wall charger shows one red solid light. When it's not plugged in the wall charger shows a pulsing yellow/orange maybe green light [I'm very colorblind :/].

My car charges fine with the other wall charger in garage. FWIW the mobile adapter worked just fine later on during my trip.

I've done the following to try and fix.

Power cycled car.
Power cycled HPWC from the circuit breaker
Updated firmware of HPWC and power cycled it again.
When I login it says there are no active alerts.

Help!!!

Thank you!

Best,
Gene

Screen Shot 2022-05-20 at 10.38.01 PM.png

unfortunately not. I emailed HPWC support but haven’t heard back yet. My friend at the service center said they’re just one small team and probably overwhelmed. Any idea what causes yours to stop working? Did you try the things I tried above?

My home charger does the same thing but the T in Tesla pulses red. Only charges at half rate and only sometimes. It works normally at my friends house. Wondering if the receptacle has gone bad? Not sure. Very frustrating though.

Yes, I've tried everything you have. I have no alerts from the HPWC through wifi and voltage is great. Checked the wires at the breaker panel and inside the wall unit and everything is snug. I don't want to buy another unit if it's a simple fix!
Ugh. Frustrating. I will be sure to post a fix if/when I get one. Something tells me it has to be an easy fix as there's nothing actually wrong. Must be some way to do a full true hard reset.

I presume you already followed the step of turning off the breaker to the wall connector completely, waiting a few minutes, and then turning it back on? That should clear the solid red according to the Tesla troubleshooting steps posted by others upthread.

Reactions: phantasms
Today mobile service came out and made sure the vehicle wasn't the reason for the fault. After confirming that they gave me a brand new wall charger and told me they don't hook them up and to have an electrician come out. I got it hooked up and it is working fine although about 5 min after first plugging it into the car it slowed the charging down to 22 amps and was flashing 3 red blinks. I unplugged it and plugged it back in and it is charging like normal at 48 amps. Hopefully it was a one time fault!

Awesome!

FYI they shipped me a new wall charger. It arrived today. I replace the front part of it and send back the defective part. They said no need for an electrician. Woohoo!
I had a fault with both the MY Charging Port ECU that needed to be replaced and also have a dead wall connector. So I'm going on over a week with no home charging. How long did it take for them to ship wall charger replacement?