Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wall charger and power sharing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Whilst UK related, I appreciate others may have better knowledge on the matter at hand.

My partner is getting an EV (E-Tron) and I’m picking up my M3 next week. Her workplace are installing a 7kW charger at home when she takes delivery from a UK company called PodPoint. Does the Tesla Load/Power share extend to the house power circuit, or is it just with linked Units. We may not be able to run both chargers at 7KW but if the smart load Sharpe works with other units we should be fine.

Whilst UK related, I appreciate others may have better knowledge on the matter at hand.

My partner is getting an EV (E-Tron) and I’m picking up my M3 next week. Her workplace are installing a 7kW charger at home when she takes delivery from a UK company called PodPoint. Does the Tesla Load/Power share extend to the house power circuit, or is it just with linked Units. We may not be able to run both chargers at 7KW but if the smart load Sharpe works with other units we should be fine.

The chargers do not implement load-sharing between different brands. You will need to install chargers of the same brands IF you determine that that is an issue.

Your house might have sufficient power for both 7 kw chargers - just make sure that PodPoint does the necessary electrical work and does not "steal" the circuit that you are charging on. They are paying for charger installation, so that should mean electrical work.

Wikipedia states 9.2 to 23kw for UK homes. Sounds a bit low, as in U.S. we have 48.

Last edited:
The chargers do not implement load-sharing between different brands. You will need to install chargers of the same brands IF you determine that that is an issue.

Your house might have sufficient power for both 7 kw chargers - just make sure that PodPoint does the necessary electrical work and does not "steal" the circuit that you are charging on. They are paying for charger installation, so that should mean electrical work.

Wikipedia states 9.2 to 23kw for UK homes. Sounds a bit low, as in U.S. we have 48.
Yeah we are lower, my circuit is 100a for the entire house.

One thought I’ve had is install the Tesla charger at 32a (7kw) but then if it’s an issue with podpoint, would it be possible to adjust the Tesla to 16a (3.7kw) to reduce the risk? I’d only need my Tesla plugged in for the use of sentry overnight/whilst parked

Yeah we are lower, my circuit is 100a for the entire house.

One thought I’ve had is install the Tesla charger at 32a (7kw) but then if it’s an issue with podpoint, would it be possible to adjust the Tesla to 16a (3.7kw) to reduce the risk? I’d only need my Tesla plugged in for the use of sentry overnight/whilst parked

You can charge with a 2.2 kw "domestic adapter" that comes with the Tesla. If you install the wall connector, you (or the electrician) can set whatever amps is necessary.

The charge port in the UK/Europe is standardized on the CCS connector, so there is no reason to prefer either the wall connector for the Tesla or the PodPoint for the E-tron. You may be able to get 2 wall connectors installed with load sharing, or to get a podpoint that does load sharing.

You can also tear out the PodPoint after it is installed and replace it with a Tesla wall connector. Then setup load sharing with your wall connector. Make sure they don't take your circuit for the PodPoint. They are supposed to be on their own RCD circuit even though they load share.

That is a nice benefit of the Tesla wall connectors. They are configurable devices that can be set to run on many different levels of circuits. So you can set them for higher or lower levels for what works for your wiring situation.

The charge port in the UK/Europe is standardized on the CCS connector, so there is no reason to prefer either the wall connector for the Tesla or the PodPoint for the E-tron.
Yeah, this is another nice thing they have there in Europe. Tesla matches the Type2 connector that all the other brands of electric cars use there in Europe, so Tesla wall connectors or your PodPoint thing could charge either of the cars.

On the charging screen you can set the time and max amps to use to charge. From the manual....

2. Adjust the charge limit by touching Set Limit, and drag the arrow to move the charge limit setting. The setting you choose applies to immediate and scheduled charging sessions.

3. The current automatically sets to the maximum current available from the attached charge cable, unless it was previously reduced to a lower level. If needed, touch - or + to change the current (for example, you may want to reduce the current if you are concerned about overloading a domestic wiring circuit shared by other equipment). It is not possible to set the charging current to a level that exceeds the maximum available from the attached charge cable. When you change the current, Model 3 remembers the location. If you charge at the same location, you do not need to change it again.

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H and Smog