Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wall charger at 60 amps with a 72 amp battery.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a question and I'm sure everyone has gone through this process one way or another but... I just recently had an electrician install a tesla wall charger and 60 amps and I had a tesla coming in which was scheduled for delivery next week but i canceled delivery due to the 2.0 update. Anyways I created a new order and wanted to upgrade to the 72 amp battery because it's at a faster charge. I read somewhere that Id need at least 90 amps for the wall charger to charge correctly on the 72 amp on board battery... But that post was also in march of 2015... Anyways any feed back is much appreciated thank you!

It's not a 72A battery-- it's a 72A charger.
For a continuous draw such as an EV you need a circuit sized at 125% of the current you're going to draw. In other words you can only draw 80% of the circuit rating. So yes, if you want to charge at the maximum of 72A with the Wall Connector you need it on a 90A circuit (or 100A circuit). Electricians should know that. If yours doesn't, maybe you should use a different electrician.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
It's not a 72A battery-- it's a 72A charger.
For a continuous draw such as an EV you need a circuit sized at 125% of the current you're going to draw. In other words you can only draw 80% of the circuit rating. So yes, if you want to charge at the maximum of 72A with the Wall Connector you need it on a 90A circuit (or 100A circuit). Electricians should know that. If yours doesn't, maybe you should use a different electrician.
Thanks for the feed back! Where i live not a lot of people know about tesla and it took more than a few calls to have an electrician come by and install it. The technician told me I have a 200 amp box for my house I didn't have much space for the 100 so he said he'd do 60. So i guess I'll just go with the 48

You still might want to get the 72A charger even if you only charge at 48A at home. The advantage of 72A charging isn't when you're at home, it's when traveling. Either 48A or 72A will charge you fully overnight at home, but 72A charging capability can save you time when plugged into a high amp level 2 or Tesla destination charger of that capacity.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
You still might want to get the 72A charger even if you only charge at 48A at home. The advantage of 72A charging isn't when you're at home, it's when traveling. Either 48A or 72A will charge you fully overnight at home, but 72A charging capability can save you time when plugged into a high amp level 2 or Tesla destination charger of that capacity.
So it will still work on my 60 amp wall charger at home without hurting the battery? I know some batteries degrade when the right amount of charge isnt distributed to the battery.

Anyways I created a new order and wanted to upgrade to the 72 amp battery because it's at a faster charge.
Hey, congrats on the new car :)

Here is a little primer on the terminology for new owners:

Superchargers are DC -- current goes straight to the battery
Home and destination are AC -- current flows from the wall, through an EVSE*, to the car's charger where it is turned into DC current and then sent to the battery.

So a 48 Amp car charger can accept up to 48 amps from a suitable EVSE and a 72 Amp car charger can accept up to 72 Amps from a suitable EVSE.

*EVSEs (like the UMC or the Tesla Wall connector) are called 'chargers' but this is incorrect. They are glorified safety boxes.

Reactions: Ghost8785
So it will still work on my 60 amp wall charger at home without hurting the battery? I know some batteries degrade when the right amount of charge isnt distributed to the battery.
Your battery is fine. In general the trick is to not overload any station along the way:

Breaker -> wire -> EVSE -> car charger -> battery. Less is not a problem.

The battery itself can take huger amounts of power, as a SuperCharger shows. That thing is pushing DC 400V, at up to 150 Amps !

Reactions: Ghost8785