Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wall charger connects to phone but no internet

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,
I installed a Gen3 wall charger for my "Y" at home. I'm having trouble getting it on the internet though. My Tesla connects to my wifi ok. But when I go to set up my wall charger for wifi I have the issue. I can get my android phone to see it as "active", but not connected to the internet. I click the edit button on "configure network" and re-enter my home network password and it still gives me this attached screenshot with "no internet" at the top. I can also get to the charger information screen where it says "wi-fi not connected". I use Google mesh wi-fi. I'm thinking somehow it is rejecting/blocking it. Any ideas? The firewall, Antivirus, and VPN were all turned off.

Attachments

• Inkedtesla_LI.jpg
    Inkedtesla_LI.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 1,539
  • teslascreen_LI.jpg
    teslascreen_LI.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 987
OK, it works now. I did NOT however have to flip the breaker. I saw on one other post where someone suggested turning off WAP3. There was never a response whether it worked or not, but it's simple enough. I turned that off and everything connected without even trying. So, I'm surprised it hasn't come up more often. I guess not a lot of people are using the latest wi-fi security. I turned it off long enough to get the latest software update and turned it back on. I hope they eventually support that and 5 GHz.

• Informative
Reactions: jcanoe
OK, it works now. I did NOT however have to flip the breaker. I saw on one other post where someone suggested turning off WAP3. There was never a response whether it worked or not, but it's simple enough. I turned that off and everything connected without even trying. So, I'm surprised it hasn't come up more often. I guess not a lot of people are using the latest wi-fi security. I turned it off long enough to get the latest software update and turned it back on. I hope they eventually support that and 5 GHz.
I am glad you were able to figure it out. I ran into this problem a few months ago when I installed mine. I created a guest network for the wall connector because it will not connect to WPA3 nor WPA2-PSK [AES].

I emailed the wall connector support team this past July about this issue, there’s been 3 firmware updates since. This issue is yet to be fixed though.

I am glad you were able to figure it out. I ran into this problem a few months ago when I installed mine. I created a guest network for the wall connector because it will not connect to WPA3 nor WPA2-PSK [AES].

I emailed the wall connector support team this past July about this issue, there’s been 3 firmware updates since. This issue is yet to be fixed though.
That sounds like the way to do it. My Google mesh router doesn't seem to have a way to create another network though. It has a guest network, but the WPA3 setting controls both. Either all WPA3 or all WPA2. The specs don't say whether it's WPA2-PSK [AES] or WPA2-PSK[TKIP], so I assume it's the latter. Been thinking about getting a new router as the Google mesh just seems too locked down. It's kind of meant to be plug-and-play with little granular control.
Wow, a new firmware update once a month! I guess that means they are actively trying to improve it.

What is the purpose of having the Wall Connector connected to the internet? Mine connected fine once I added a WPA2 password but I can't control it or even see it online that I'm aware of. The only purpose I can think of for the internet connection is SW/FW updates. Maybe with multiple units charge sharing it becomes more useful?

Reactions: hcdavis3
What is the purpose of having the Wall Connector connected to the internet? Mine connected fine once I added a WPA2 password but I can't control it or even see it online that I'm aware of. The only purpose I can think of for the internet connection is SW/FW updates. Maybe with multiple units charge sharing it becomes more useful?
Firmware updates; load balancing. In the future direct billing to a Tesla accout for public charging infrastructure including apartment complexes and hotels.

• Informative
Reactions: Akikiki and rjpjnk
Once connected, open a browser and type in http://192.168.92.1. Then you'll get controls to change your current output, share your charger, etc. I attached a pic.

Attachments

• tesla wall.png
    tesla wall.png
    6.1 KB · Views: 925
Reactions: IamGaryGnu
That sounds like the way to do it. My Google mesh router doesn't seem to have a way to create another network though. It has a guest network, but the WPA3 setting controls both. Either all WPA3 or all WPA2. The specs don't say whether it's WPA2-PSK [AES] or WPA2-PSK[TKIP], so I assume it's the latter. Been thinking about getting a new router as the Google mesh just seems too locked down. It's kind of meant to be plug-and-play with little granular control.
Wow, a new firmware update once a month! I guess that means they are actively trying to improve it.
Indeed, but it’s a shame that Google mesh doe not allow one to change the security settings per network (as in your case guest vs main)

I am currently using a TP-Link Deco X60 with 4 nodes, but I hope to get a Ubiquity setup which would allow me to group devices and see how much data the wall connector and the Tesla are sending back to the mothership per month. Every few seconds, I see that the wall connector (network, I currently have two linked together for power sharing) is uploading / downloading a few Kilobytes.

Indeed, but it’s a shame that Google mesh doe not allow one to change the security settings per network (as in your case guest vs main)

I am currently using a TP-Link Deco X60 with 4 nodes, but I hope to get a Ubiquity setup which would allow me to group devices and see how much data the wall connector and the Tesla are sending back to the mothership per month. Every few seconds, I see that the wall connector (network, I currently have two linked together for power sharing) is uploading / downloading a few Kilobytes.
Hmm, every few seconds huh? Interesting. I'd like to know what it's doing. NTP server maybe.

Spent time with Tesla support. Did not really make any progress. After reading the helpful posts here...it got me on the right path to get my wall charger connected to the internet. Went into my router settings. My router security type defaults to WPA+WPA2. I created a guest link with a security type of only WPA2. That was the fix.

Once connected, open a browser and type in http://192.168.92.1. Then you'll get controls to change your current output, share your charger, etc. I attached a pic.
Hi - this is pretty much what I have been searching for - took me a while to get my commisioning down - i don't know why i had to enter my ssid's pw 5 times, but it finally stuck, so my wall charger shows up on my home network. however, when i try to access it via ip on my home network, it show sthe unit, and says something like public error.
even though it is on say, my 192.168.1.X network, do i STILL log into 192.168.92.1 to hit the wall connector's web server?
or, do i switch my phone, ipad, etc. to a 192.168.92.X ip address and get in that way?
i've been trying in my 192.168.1.x network, but not much luck other than the public error. it went in yesterday.
i'd love stats, etc. but i think the best i'll get is the configuration, maybe see the firmware, and enable (or not) the charger sharing. stuff like that.
thanks for any help!

Far as I can tell there is no use connecting to the wall connector after initial commissioning except maybe to check for a FW update. Connecting via the LAN is useless unless you are Tesla and have some special way in.

Hi - this is pretty much what I have been searching for - took me a while to get my commisioning down - i don't know why i had to enter my ssid's pw 5 times, but it finally stuck, so my wall charger shows up on my home network. however, when i try to access it via ip on my home network, it show sthe unit, and says something like public error.
even though it is on say, my 192.168.1.X network, do i STILL log into 192.168.92.1 to hit the wall connector's web server?
or, do i switch my phone, ipad, etc. to a 192.168.92.X ip address and get in that way?
i've been trying in my 192.168.1.x network, but not much luck other than the public error. it went in yesterday.
i'd love stats, etc. but i think the best i'll get is the configuration, maybe see the firmware, and enable (or not) the charger sharing. stuff like that.
thanks for any help!
192.168.92.1 is the address for the wall connector only on its broadcasted network. If it is attached to your home network, you can’t access it on that 92.1 address. While accessing the wall connector via your home network, you will be unable to change settings or update firmware. The only use for connecting it to your home network is to allow automatic firmware updates.

To rebroadcast the local connection on the wall charger to connect and update firmware or manage settings, you need to hold the button on the handle for about five seconds and the machine will restart and allow you connect to its local broadcast. Then, key in your connectors ssid and password to access it.