Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wall charger dying

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can anybody help with this problem:
I had a wall charger installed by one of the recommended electricians. I have had my Model 3 for two days, and the charger was working well. Then it seemed to die. I got home and reached for the charger, but there were no lights at all lit on the box, and the box felt warm (this was without it being connected). I cycled the breaker a few times and waited with the breaker off for a while, and when I flipped it back on, the charger restarted. I charged, but then after charging, the wall unit died again. It seems revivable at random intervals if I turn off the breaker and wait a while.

Has anyone else had this problem? Is this a bad charger unit, or do you think the electrician may have done something wrong?

Sounds odd. Could be the unit or maybe a problem with the line back to the main panel. Did you google the wall charger model # and problems to see if others report your experience? You could also try charging at a lower rate to the M3

@Gibbon1,

Check the connections on L1 & L2 to the main lugs. They have certain ‘torque’ specs. If they’re loose or not torqued down securely or correctly you’ll have this issue. Someone else on the forum had this issue....re-torqued the lugs and all was well.
Let me know what you find out. Best of luck.

Ski

I had the installing electrician come back out and check the whole wall unit. As it always happens with these things, the unit performed flawlessly while he was here. He checked the connections, the breaker, and all the settings. He says that if it happens again, it must be a defective wall unit.

Sigh. There is no "wall" in the vehicle, so it's pretty self-explanatory since that term was used.

Maybe, but still important to use the correct terminology as its continued incorrect use will not educate the new owners and we will end up with a post where it is not so obvious "AGAIN" and a thread could derail in the wrong direction for it to be fixed.

Reactions: TexasEV