Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wall Charger Electrician Recommendation (SoCal, Riverside County)?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone,

Just got a gen 3 wall charger unit, I was wondering if anyone has any recommendation for electrician in the Southern California region specifically one willing to service Riverside County (Eastvale area)? I've gotten 3 quotes and they vary drastically. For a 15-18 foot run in the garage with 60amp breaker on a 200amp power panel with 2 open slots but may require moving some breaker, one quoted me $350 advised me no permit required and said don't ask about his license, another quoted me $2000 which included permit cost, and another quoted me $550 for first 10 feet and anything over that amount is $15 a feet + $250 permit service fee+city permit cost/inspection fee. Any recommendation will be appreciated.

Thank you,

Tempest

Yeah the SoCal electricians are pretty crazy. My power panel is just outside of the garage wall and there's already power cable that ran through the garage from that panel. They just need to run another into the garage run it inside the garage on the side and to the wall area near the car, I measured it worse case scenario 18 total feet maximum.

The 3rd quote sounds fair for this area (Inland Empire). Adding permit adds a lot to the installation as some cities require the electrician to be there during the city inspection. So he/she will have to be there the entire time when city gives a 4 hours windows when the inspector will come.

When I did our two NEMA 14-50 outlets at Rancho Cucamonga, I paid $300 for the first one (just at the other side of panel), and $550 for 2nd one about 1 garage door going up to the ceiling and come back down (20 to 25 feet?). I did not get the permits. I believe in our city, you can install NEMA 14-50 yourself without permit. The electrician I used is licensed, but he said it is up to me if I want to get permit or not. He said his work is all up to code. I don't remember how much he wanted to charge with the permit... I think it was definitely over $250 extra... probably closer to $500.

The 3rd quote sounds fair for this area (Inland Empire). Adding permit adds a lot to the installation as some cities require the electrician to be there during the city inspection. So he/she will have to be there the entire time when city gives a 4 hours windows when the inspector will come.

When I did our two NEMA 14-50 outlets at Rancho Cucamonga, I paid $300 for the first one (just at the other side of panel), and $550 for 2nd one about 1 garage door going up to the ceiling and come back down (20 to 25 feet?). I did not get the permits. I believe in our city, you can install NEMA 14-50 yourself without permit. The electrician I used is licensed, but he said it is up to me if I want to get permit or not. He said his work is all up to code. I don't remember how much he wanted to charge with the permit... I think it was definitely over $250 extra... probably closer to $500.
Thanks for the information. I plan to call the city to see what the requirement is and if inspection is required. The $2000 company basically wanted $1000 for the install and $1000 for permit and believe it or not it's an electrical contractor directly in Riverside county but it's supposed to be Telsa certified which I thought it's pretty ridiculous, $1000 for the install I can see it if it was a difficult job but another $1000 for permit it's pretty steep considering what I see published in my city's website is a $240 permit fee for EV charging wall mount, I didn't see an inspection fee so I'll have to check. The $550 quote was from an electrician in LA county which is also Tesla certified.

I got an outlet install and the charger mounted inside my garage for 300. There was no permits required. I don’t have a Tesla charger as I have another ev to charge also. The total for the charger and install was $750. I just have to use my adapter for my model 3.

This is simple electrical work. We had a sub-panel installed in The OC as we only had a 100-amp box. But I used a licensed, bonded electrician and told him that I wanted an install that I could then have the city come out and permit. (It's only a $60 fee in our OC town.) The electrician said, no problem, if it doesn't pass teh permit I'll come out and make it right.

used this cat to install a 14-50 at a house in redlands. all of these cats smell $$$ when you mention a Tesla. I just had him do a 14-50 right under a sub panel and he charged $350 or $375 - i forget. he was thorough and his work was spot on.

used this cat to install a 14-50 at a house in redlands. all of these cats smell $$$ when you mention a Tesla. I just had him do a 14-50 right under a sub panel and he charged $350 or $375 - i forget. he was thorough and his work was spot on.

Thank you, I'll check them out.

This is simple electrical work. We had a sub-panel installed in The OC as we only had a 100-amp box. But I used a licensed, bonded electrician and told him that I wanted an install that I could then have the city come out and permit. (It's only a $60 fee in our OC town.) The electrician said, no problem, if it doesn't pass teh permit I'll come out and make it right.
Thanks.

Hey guys, just thought I shared what I ended up using and cost estimate if it helps you. One thing to note is I'm still waiting for my MY, it hasn't been delivered so I can't confirm if the charger is working. But I can tell you it powered up, I configured the wifi on it, so if anything I would imagine the issue might be with the wall connector. But it also did pass city inspection and I got the completed permit. I actually called everybody that was recommended here and also in the past searches and the cost varied widely. Believe it or not, many of the Riverside places are much much higher than OC prices which was shocking, all the Riverside electricians wanted $1500+ just for the install no permit. I ended up using the electrician that shows up in Tesla's website for certified Tesla Electrician and decided to give him a try based on good reviews in Yelp. My power panel and my charging location required a 20-25 foot conduit run so need to put that into consideration. But overall I'm pretty happy with the result. The cost was $650 or so for the run and $100 for him to pull the permit, and all I had to do was buy the wall connector and then call the city to schedule an inspection. $100 he charge includes all paperwork, him traveling to the city hall to get a permit assigned, and he will charge you exact amount of the permit city charges, in my city it was around $300. This was not the cheapest though, the cheapest was one of my neighbors that decided not to get a permit used a let's just called it questionable licensed electrician that charged him $400 which I was not comfortable using an unverifiable licensed electrician. But ultimately I think permit is a personal decision, I elected to do it because I want that piece of mind that home insurance is not going to screw me just because I didn't get a permit. One other thing is I recommend people to consider getting the electrical stuff done earlier than later as I think the new EV Rebate is going to drive up demand and as you know demand makes the price go up. Good luck everyone.

Sebastian Belowski
www.trinetwork.net
TriNetwork, Inc.
(323) 315-0307

• Informative
Reactions: mociaf9
Who did you use, I need another one done in RSM. TIA!

My Wall Connector was not the most straight forward install as the panel and garage were on the opposite side of the house. I also wanted a permit due to the electrical wires running across my house.

Steve Cavenee Electric (Steve Cavenee Electric - Orange, CA - CA) came out to be the cheapest price with the permits (they processed it all themself). Don't let the word "cheapest" fool you because they were the only company that wanted to do a clean install by running wires through the attic and in the walls, instead of exterior conduit like 5 other electricians that I got quoted for. I now have a Wall Connector in the garage with no conduit sticking from the ceiling and down to the charger.

I used A-EV Installs to install my Tesla Wall Connector. My detached garage has a subpanel and the installers repurposed an unused 240v 50A circuit that at one time powered a hot tub. Unfortunately the sub-panel was feed with a 50A circuit from the main breaker, so a 60A circuit was not possible.

The install cost $635, which included 20' of 3/4" metal conduit. I bought the Tesla Wall Connector for $500 from the Tesla store.

I was very pleased with the install and workmanship. I would recommend checking them out. They are listed on the Tesla site under "Find an Electrician".

A-EV Installs
Huntington Beach, CA
714-369-2696 or 949 469-4443