Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wall charger functionality from Wifi

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got my wall charger installed, no car yet… that is coming next month (fingers crossed). I have the wall charger connected to my WiFi, but so what? Once you configure it, and joined my WiFi, what info can I get? I was expecting to see some sort of stats or something, but as far as I can tell, it does really add anything. Maybe once I have the car, the app will allow me to see something?

The Gen3 Wall Connector can be enabled to support automatic load balancing for up to 4 Gen3 Wall Connector units via Wi-Fi. Tesla has stated that the Gen3 Wall Connector will be able to support billing for charging (this is most applicable to B&B, Hotels, Etc.)

The Gen3 Wall Connector can be enabled to support automatic load balancing for up to 4 Gen3 Wall Connector units via Wi-Fi. Tesla has stated that the Gen3 Wall Connector will be able to support billing for charging (this is most applicable to B&B, Hotels, Etc.)
OK, if I add a second one, it would make sense. Updates… well, not sure what would be updated, as it doesn’t do anything other than charging. I’m considering a second Tesla, and maybe a second charger. The installation would be a LOT cheaper, since the load would come from the first charger. I actually thought that since they would be wired to one another, the first unit could control how much power to use vs send to the second, without needing to have a WiFi connection. In any case, thanks for clarifiying!

OK, if I add a second one, it would make sense. Updates… well, not sure what would be updated, as it doesn’t do anything other than charging. I’m considering a second Tesla, and maybe a second charger. The installation would be a LOT cheaper, since the load would come from the first charger. I actually thought that since they would be wired to one another, the first unit could control how much power to use vs send to the second, without needing to have a WiFi connection. In any case, thanks for clarifiying!
That is how the Gen2 Wall Connector managed load balancing, i.e. via low voltage signaling cables. The Gen3 accomplishes load balancing using the home's or business's WiFi network.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
The load would not come from the first charger.

Each wall connector has to be on it's own dedicated circuit.

What it allows you to do is put two chargers in the same panel without concern of overloading the panel - because it will never allow the charging to go beyond whatever you set the max network amperage if they are active at the same time.

• Informative
Reactions: jcanoe
The second installation would be slightly cheaper if you have wires-in-conduit AND that conduit is large enough to handle a second set of conductors.

Updates? Since its inception, the Gen3 wall connector has had at least three...

Overheating fix rolling back power rather than either cutting it by either 50 or 100%
Power sharing enablement
Billing based on the Tesla account.

In the future, I could see:
Billing based on cellphone account(think Chargepoint/Evgo)
Simply disallowing all but very specific accounts to charge(think an in-the-open wall connector either at a house or business)

There's an RFID scanner already built into the unit right around the light bar, and it doesn't have any use yet.

Reactions: mrwug