Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wall Charger hell

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IMG_4555.JPG
Yep, Model 3 LR performance.

Thanks guys! Tearing out what little hair I have. Convinced I screwed up. It's a beautiful install. Hopefully someday they crank it up to a higher Amperage.

I feel really dumb not knowing it would only charge at 48A. I seriously thought it would draw 80A off the 100A circuit. New to Tesla, so a NEMA connector would have worked just as well for less $$$.

Last edited:
Just installed a Tesla Wall Charger with 100A 250V circuit. I set the rotary switch to "D" and I'm only getting 48A at the car. I left the DIP switch to Down and UP.

Any ideas why I'm not getting 80A at the car? Is it the DIP switch?
i'm thinking about wall charger, but we are only here 4 mo during the summer...do i need it. I don't commute etc..and can chg during off peak hrs i believe quite easily for my needs?? I'm really interested in hearing the pros/cons for a " little old lady that only drives it on sundays" lol thanks in advance

Reactions: Fossil Fool
i'm thinking about wall charger, but we are only here 4 mo during the summer...do i need it. I don't commute etc..and can chg during off peak hrs i believe quite easily for my needs??

You probably don't need a wall charger. How far do you drive during the summer between when you can charge? Like how much per day...

You can probably get about 4mi/hr out of a 120V line that's already in your garage.

If you go the NEMA 14-50 route, make sure you buy one the commercial, highly-durable sockets. There are threads on here about standard Levitron versions melting after too much use.
does this option seem reasonable: i purchase 2 NEMA 14-50 wall mount plugs/recepticals & 1 tesla mobile charger & i can use the ONE charger btween my 2 houses? i'll transfer the charger when we leave the summer place??

Reactions: Phlier and JasonR67
does this option seem reasonable: i purchase 2 NEMA 14-50 wall mount plugs/recepticals & 1 tesla mobile charger & i can use the ONE charger btween my 2 houses? i'll transfer the charger when we leave the summer place??

Seems fine. Just use the quality outlets mentioned elsewhere here. Not Leviton. Personally, I'd put some thought into the exact placement of the receptacles, so that if you wanted to swap directly to a Wall Connector in the future, it would be exactly where you would want it, and there are sufficient clearances for the Wall Connector in all directions, it's at the right height, etc. I wish I had done that with my 14-50 - as it was I had to cap the old junction box and route Romex to a slightly lower, slightly offset, different location for the Wall Connector.

Also make sure there is sufficient extra wire length to connect to the Wall Connector. I have no idea whether extra wire is to code (nor do I care), but I would not hesitate to leave an extra 6-8 inches of slack (or a bit more if possible) in the run.

Last edited:
Seems fine. Just use the quality outlets mentioned elsewhere here. Not Leviton. Personally, I'd put some thought into the exact placement of the receptacles, so that if you wanted to swap directly to a Wall Connector in the future, it would be exactly where you would want it, and there are sufficient clearances for the Wall Connector in all directions, it's at the right height, etc. I wish I had done that with my 14-50 - as it was I had to cap the old junction box and route Romex to a slightly lower, slightly offset, different location for the Wall Connector.

Also make sure there is sufficient extra wire length to connect to the Wall Connector. I have no idea whether extra wire is to code (nor do I care), but I would not hesitate to leave an extra 6-8 inches of slack (or a bit more if possible) in the run.
thanks so much good ideas..i will follow thru

Reactions: Fossil Fool
Just installed a Tesla Wall Charger with 100A 250V circuit. I set the rotary switch to "D" and I'm only getting 48A at the car. I left the DIP switch to Down and UP.

Any ideas why I'm not getting 80A at the car? Is it the DIP switch?

You went overkill. Which is not bad, you kinda future proof yourself if you want to add another tesla/charger down the road or if you have any friends or family with an old MS/MX with high amp chargers visiting.

okay, since i found an expert...what is the ceramic peeps are talking about?
The ceramic you hear most often about on TMC is a coating that is applied to the car's paint. It is sort of like a semi-permanent wax that has many benefits including: glossy finish, protection from damaging substances, water beading, etc. It is expensive though usually running $1k+ for the application. I have it and definitely recommend it if you want the vehicle to look like new for an extended period of time.

Faster recovery after a road trip is a good option to have.
Redundant charging solutions are good to have, your UMC can stay in the car as a backup.
If the future brings a second EV in the garage you are 2/3rds of the way to load sharing.

The hard push for bare minimum around here is irrational.
I have had a wall connector for a year now and it has come in handy multiple times when I got back from road trips and needed fast turn around.