Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wall charger help

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looking to buy a Tesla wall connector. I found this outlet and circuit that located on the other side of the wall I’m look to place the wall connector. Is this the correct style outlet? Is it as simple as running the plug from the charger to the outlet ? Oe to I need to have the outlet moved into the garage.

Looking to buy a Tesla wall connector. I found this outlet and circuit that located on the other side of the wall I’m look to place the wall connector. Is this the correct style outlet? Is it as simple as running the plug from the charger to the outlet ? Oe to I need to have the outlet moved into the garage.
The Tesla wall charger does not plug in to an outlet. It is designed to be hard-wired into a dedicated circuit. I would recommend looking into hiring a professional electrician to do this work, especially since this wasn't apparent to you from Tesla's installation instructions: Home Charging Installation

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H and Gellie
The Tesla wall charger does not plug in to an outlet. It is designed to be hard-wired into a dedicated circuit. I would recommend looking into hiring a professional electrician to do this work, especially since this wasn't apparent to you from Tesla's installation instructions: Home Charging Installation
Thanks I attached a pic of the circuit and outlet.
E1B20CCD-46B3-45CF-BABF-6CFCA5FD229B.jpeg
6FF34F33-6403-42D4-A292-9C3DB41041E9.jpeg

Last edited:
Either way, you need to have that connection moved to the garage. It would be trivial for an electrician(or you) to move it, either placing a 10-30 outlet or an HPWC, at your discretion. Note that what you have there is a 10-30R, which is similar to but not the same as 10-30. If you decide to go 10-30, you'll need the adapter($35) from Tesla for your UMC.

Notably you are not allowed to add another outlet on that same circuit. Only one outlet is permitted when dealing with that level of current.

• Funny
Reactions: Rocky_H and Gellie
That 30 amp ckt breaker is way under-rated if you want a Tesla Wall Charger. You need a 60 Amp breaker and wiring to match. Hire an electrician.

Keith
No, not at all. That's not how it works.

When you install an HPWC, part of the installation process is called 'provisioning'. It takes like five minutes and you tell the HPWC the amperage of the circuit/breaker its connected to.

Yes, it would be a faster charge to have a 60 amp circuit, but its by no means necessary.

• Love
Reactions: Gellie and Rocky_H
Either way, you need to have that connection moved to the garage. It would be trivial for an electrician(or you) to move it, either placing a 10-30 outlet or an HPWC, at your discretion. Note that what you have there is a 10-30R, which is similar to but not the same as 10-30. If you decide to go 10-30, you'll need the adapter($35) from Tesla for your UMC.

Notably you are not allowed to add another outlet on that same circuit. Only one outlet is permitted when dealing with that level of current.
Thanks. I was going to remove that outlet

No, not at all. That's not how it works.

When you install an HPWC, part of the installation process is called 'provisioning'. It takes like five minutes and you tell the HPWC the amperage of the circuit/breaker its connected to.

Yes, it would be a faster charge to have a 60 amp circuit, but its by no means necessary.
Thanks. That outlet is on a 60 amp breaker. See above pic.

• Disagree
Reactions: Rocky_H
Note that what you have there is a 10-30R, which is similar to but not the same as 10-30.
When listing electrical parts, places will sometimes attach the letters R or P to specify which side it is--whether it is the Receptacle or the Plug. But they are both 10-30. What you may be thinking of is if you see L in front of an outlet type, like L10-30 instead of 10-30. That means locking, and it uses those curved pins, so you plug it in and twist it, so it can't be just yanked out. Those are differently shaped plugs, so they are not the same thing.

Just to reinforce/clarify on some of this. What you have there is a normal 10-30 outlet, and it's on a double pole 30A breaker. There wouldn't really be a need to get a wall connector if you don't want to. You could just buy the 10-30 adapter from Tesla and use the cord that comes with the car. But if you want to get a wall connector, that could be put on that circuit at 30A instead of the outlet.

When listing electrical parts, places will sometimes attach the letters R or P to specify which side it is--whether it is the Receptacle or the Plug. But they are both 10-30. What you may be thinking of is if you see L in front of an outlet type, like L10-30 instead of 10-30. That means locking, and it uses those curved pins, so you plug it in and twist it, so it can't be just yanked out. Those are differently shaped plugs, so they are not the same thing.

Just to reinforce/clarify on some of this. What you have there is a normal 10-30 outlet, and it's on a double pole 30A breaker. There wouldn't really be a need to get a wall connector if you don't want to. You could just buy the 10-30 adapter from Tesla and use the cord that comes with the car. But if you want to get a wall connector, that could be put on that circuit at 30A instead of the outlet.
Yes, thanks for correcting me. I looked long and hard and thought the L shaped conductor was backwards.