Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wall Charger Install Cost

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just been quoted $2700 to install a wall charger. The guys seem legit and have great reviews. It’s a bit of a job as the cable needs a lot of routing. Looking at 7 hours of labor and a fair bit of wire etc. It’s a lot but does that sound about right at the high end?

Just been quoted $2700 to install a wall charger. The guys seem legit and have great reviews. It’s a bit of a job as the cable needs a lot of routing. Looking at 7 hours of labor and a fair bit of wire etc. It’s a lot but does that sound about right at the high end?

What did the other two contractors you got bids from quote you, when you contacted them for additional bids to corroborate / calibrate the first one?

I paid over $3000. However, my house had only 100 A service, and they upgraded the house service to 200A, and installed an entirely new main house circuit breaker panel. On the cost-reducing side, the location for the Wall Connector was literally a few inches from the breaker box.

Your quote sounds high for the work involved, to me.

Do you have a breakdown / itemized cost of labor and parts? Don't know what the typical labor rate would be in NJ but if you assume that it's $100/hr, then parts are about $2000 of that quote. Wall connector from Tesla is $400 and assuming 60A service (6AWG wire I believe), 125' 6/3 Romex from Home Depot is about $600 and a breaker is maybe $50. So that accounts for half of the $2K. Is there any drywall work to be done? Is 125' not enough length? Will conduit need to be used? Does the wiring need to be routed up out of a basement from the other side of the house to where the wall connector is going to be located? There's a lot of things which can add to the cost that's not evident from your four sentences.

Reactions: garth_angst
Highway robbery for all of you, unless the labor is crazy complicated. I got a whole home 200A upgrade for $3,200, including the charger install.

Here is the breakdown:
  1. New vertical feed from meter to power company horizontal
  2. New 200A meter box (replaced existing)
  3. New 200A main panel in garage (did not exist before)
    1. 200A breaker
    2. Install Tesla charger off this main w/60A breaker
  4. New 200A panel in basement (replaced 100A panel w/60A sub)
    1. Included 28 new breakers (mostly 20A, some 15A, 2 double throws)
$2,900 of the quote was for the 200A upgrade. $300 was the cost for them to mount/wire the Tesla charger.
1/3 of the $3,200 was parts, rest labor. I think they had 5 guys onsite at one point.

Before anyone comments, I did need this 200A upgrade regardless of Tesla purchase - I have been at capacity for a whle and my lines were woefully aged. I actually received a quote 4 years ago to perform this work, it came in at roughly $3k back then (minus charger install).

Screen Shot 2022-11-06 at 15.05.58.png

I paid over $3000. However, my house had only 100 A service, and they upgraded the house service to 200A, and installed an entirely new main house circuit breaker panel. On the cost-reducing side, the location for the Wall Connector was literally a few inches from the breaker box.

Your quote sounds high for the work involved, to me.
HA! You are almost the same boat as me!

Highway robbery for all of you, unless the labor is crazy complicated. I got a whole home 200A upgrade for $3,200, including the charger install.

Here is the breakdown:
  1. New vertical feed from meter to power company horizontal
  2. New 200A meter box (replaced existing)
  3. New 200A main panel in garage (did not exist before)
    1. 200A breaker
    2. Install Tesla charger off this main w/60A breaker
  4. New 200A panel in basement (replaced 100A panel w/60A sub)
    1. Included 28 new breakers (mostly 20A, some 15A, 2 double throws)
$2,900 of the quote was for the 200A upgrade. $300 was the cost for them to mount/wire the Tesla charger.
1/3 of the $3,200 was parts, rest labor. I think they had 5 guys onsite at one point.

Before anyone comments, I did need this 200A upgrade regardless of Tesla purchase - I have been at capacity for a whle and my lines were woefully aged. I actually received a quote 4 years ago to perform this work, it came in at roughly $3k back then (minus charger install).

View attachment 871791

Your pricing is completely relevant for someone else in Michigan, but not really relevant for anyone else in any other state. This is like comparing home prices or insurance, location matters.

Possibly. Though, archae86 had almost the exact same work done for almost the same price. I'd argue the complexity of the work is a larger factor than the location. Insurance prices are based on actuaries, which is very similar general trade work (cheap = simple/low risk, expensive = complex/high risk).

I live in West Michigan. I paid $1,600 to have my Gen 3 Wall Connector installed. This included upgrading an existing 240V circuit to 60A (replacing the circuit breaker), running the cable to the garage, connecting and commissioning the Wall Connector. The work was done by an electrical contractor I found on the Tesla web site. I charge on a schedule starting at 11pm each night at 48A and haven’t had any issues.

Last edited by a moderator:
I live in West Michigan. I paid $1,600 to have my Gen 3 Wall Connector installed. This included upgrading an existing 240V circuit to 60A (replacing the circuit breaker), running the cable to the garage, connecting and commissioning the Wall Connector. The work was done by an electrical contractor I found on the Tesla web site. I charge on a schedule starting at 11pm each night at 48A and haven’t had any issues.

How long of a cable run? Sounds rich.

wow! and I thought the $400 quotes were high around here in So Cal :oops:

If you are getting a quote for $400, thats probably right near the electrical panel and including very little cable pulling / run. You also want to find out if that $400 price includes pulling a permit for it, which you want (in case something happens later with your house wiring) which it probably doesnt.

If you are getting a quote for $400, thats probably right near the electrical panel and including very little cable pulling / run. You also want to find out if that $400 price includes pulling a permit for it, which you want (in case something happens later with your house wiring) which it probably doesnt.
yeah, mine is just on other side of wall of where I would mount...didn't know about permit?

• Funny
Reactions: davewill
What did the other two contractors you got bids from quote you, when you contacted them for additional bids to corroborate / calibrate the first one?

Yeah, always get multiple quotes. A *minimum* of 3 in my opinion, but many more than that is justified in this case.

These contractors are going to do work on your home that, if done poorly, could be the cause of a fire. Don't be surprised if they've never installed an EVSE before. Watch Tesla's install video with the electrician if you need to.

Also, it's not uncommon for quotes to be all over the board... 5 electricians might quote you $4-5k and the 6th might do it for $2800... and the cheaper one isn't necessarily the worst, could even be better than the others.

Do your research, ask questions, be clear in your request, and definitely get lots of quotes.