Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wall Charger Install Cost

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So lets assume you mean 2 guys for 7 hours, at a billed rate of $150 an hour. Which is insane but OK. 14 hours x 150=$2.,100 If the copper is 80 feet than that's about $800 and a breaker is under $100.

If there is only 1 guy then the only way this makes sense is is a LOT of copper wire included.

Honestly, most folks would consider THHN in conduit to cut the copper price in half.

BTW, other than running the wire the Wall Connector can't take more than a 1 hour t mount and set up

$1,200 with permit here in Los Angeles, CA. Others quoted $1,100 for the install with an added $800 for the permit. I want the permit in place to future proof me, but it’s something that doesn’t take $800…. The charger is being installed ether 5 or 15 feet from the panel in the driveway with no wall holes needed.

And I’m getting some breakers replaced in that quote.

DIY person. Had to put a 5' run from our breaker box . Conduit, #6 wire, etc. cost $107. ( had a double 60 breaker) Took an hour, maybe a bit longer. Our Power provider had a grant of $500 for chargers...we were fortunate.

Mine was about $3500. My existing house service was 100A which was upgraded to 200A The wires out to the street were not changed, but the wires going from meter to the breaker box were, an entirely new breaker box was installed, so every single circuit in the house got removed from the old and connected to the new, which for many of them involved splicing in more wire. By comparison with the breaker box replacement, actually installing the Wall Connector was a minor part of the effort.

I think there were lower effort and cheaper solutions possible. I just wanted to give a real world example of paying that much.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
$3500 is insane....how and where do they come up with those prices? I thought $425 was rip off for 1 1/2 hour of work.....
He did say 200 amp wiring at $20 per foot. Add in large conduit. Add in pulling thick wiring through said conduit. Likely a 2 man job. Frankly, seems cheap to me considering the large wires.

I was quoted $3500 to upgrade my main panel to 200A. Service wires were sufficient. I spent about $600 to do it myself last year.

Just this past weekend I installed a 100A sub-panel in the garage along with a wall connector. Including the WC, it probably cost me about $1400 in materials. Wiring is not cheap.