Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wall charger install question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello All,

I'm currently prepping for new wall charger installation on Monday PM, drilling holes through concrete to accomodate wire conduits. I'm planning on running a PVC conduit directly from my basement up into the bottom of the wall charger, which will be installed using the high-profile bracket to space the unit a bit further from the wall.

Does anyone know what the distance of the bottom-entry hole is from the wall when the high-profile bracket is installed? I can't find this measurement anywhere online, and I don't want to mis-locate my hole drilled through concrete... the hole needs to be lined up precisely below the bottom-mount hole in the charger.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Don Field
Montreal, QC, CANADA

By the looks of it from the manual, the extra top entry bracket adds 2" to the profile, and from my installation, the flat install conduit entry is off the wall that a standard 1" conduit bracket cradles it right on. I am not sure though why you want that off the wall so much, free airing the conduit but I guess I don't know of other potential obstructions.

Attachments

• IMG_20180616_145433_1.jpg
    IMG_20180616_145433_1.jpg
    455.3 KB · Views: 133
Does anyone know what the distance of the bottom-entry hole is from the wall when the high-profile bracket is installed? I can't find this measurement anywhere online, and I don't want to mis-locate my hole drilled through concrete... the hole needs to be lined up precisely below the bottom-mount hole in the charger.
Perhaps I’m not understanding this right. Why would the offset from the wall affect the drilling location? Aren’t they orthogonal to each other?
Btw, I have an unused top entry (high profile) bracket because I didn’t need it when I did bottom entry install of mine. If you want I can take some measurements for you.

I’m also curious why you want to come off the wall a little bit. Tesla says to install that bracket for top entry. I hope that bracket doesn’t block the bottom entry hole. I haven’t checked.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your replies. Basic problem is that I can't get the hammer drill close enough to the wall to drill straight down if I use the standard low-profile mount. Using the high-profile mount will enable me to drill a perfectly vertical hole in the concrete, exactly where I want it.

@notAnExpert, the high profile bracket allows for both top entry and bottom entry wiring.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your replies. Basic problem is that I can't get the hammer drill close enough to the wall to drill straight down if I use the standard low-profile mount.

Once you pass through your hole in the floor, can't you offset the conduit back towards the wall? PVC conduit bends easily once heated. Of course I have heat blankets and heat guns for that specific purpose. As a home-owner, I'm guessing you don't have that. I've never tried it, but I would imagine that a hair dryer could heat the pipe up enough to allow you to shape an offset. You could also use a small propane torch, but you have to be very careful not to burn the pipe. Also, Lowes and Home Depot sells PVC conduit nipples with small offsets already in them. Just a thought...

So I have decided to offset my concrete hole 3 1/2" from the wall. Looking at the charger, the bottom hole must be more than 1" from the wall, since its diameter is 1". I guessed 1 1/2". Add the extra 2 inches given by the high-profile wall plate and I arrive at 3 1/2". Once I receive my actual charger on Monday, I'll report back with the exact measurements. Thanks @Brian23693, if I'm a bit wrong, I'll definitely use your heating technique to offset the PVC conduit into the correct position.

Just me personally, I would offset the conduit directly to the wall just above your floor penetration using an offset coupler or heating the PVC as others mentioned.
I would also use metal conduit to the hpwc from the floor.
Everyone has an opinion :)