TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Wall Charger Install Today, what should I check.

Discussion in 'Charging Standards and Infrastructure' started by Odebek, Aug 4, 2016.

1. Odebek

Odebek Don't Panic

I had an electrician install a new panel and the wall charger today. It was his first Tesla wall charger install, anything specific I should check before my car shows up?

my_charger.jpg

2. Rockster

Rockster Active Member

If you can, it might be useful to see if a local Tesla owner can swing by and charge, just to verify that all is working well.

3. Odebek

Odebek Don't Panic

Good idea, will reach out the the NJ Tesla users group

4. aesculus

aesculus Still Trying to Figure this All Out

Well the first test was passed based on the fact that you have a green light.

As was pointed out find a Tesla that can do your maximum rate (80 amps?) and make sure that works OK.

I cannot see what size breakers you have so make sure if they are not 100 amp breakers that the WC is down selected to the correct wattage.

5. Odebek

Odebek Don't Panic

Thanks, will double check the settings, I actually ended up going for the 48 amp charge with a 60amp breaker, as that is the max I had available on my panel.

6. fully

fully Member

Sad day here...

Electric company came out to approve a breaker upgrade today (no room on existing breaker for HPWC). they would not approve because the city requires the breaker to be at least 3 feet from the gas meter (why?). Moving a breaker will allegedly require trenching to the street and that get expensive... I am looking in to moving the gas meter (maybe cheaper alternative).

Anyone else have any problems with existing breakers during installation of home chargers?

Any insight or thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

7. Odebek

Odebek Don't Panic

I had to have a new main panel installed, because there was not room on the older panel. Total cost for the new panel, running the cable to the garage and installing the HPWC was $2,600

8. aesculus

aesculus Still Trying to Figure this All Out

Spark potential.

I would think it would be much cheaper to move the gas meter a few feet than deal with the huge costs and work to move the electrical stuff.