Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wall Charger Installation Quote - Review

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone have a recommendation for an electrician in Maryland (closer to Baltimore than DC) to do the installation? I got a bid from someone recommended by Tesla that seems quite high - $2,200. That includes a run of about 100' from the breaker to the install site though, so perhaps that explains the high cost...?

Does anyone have a recommendation for an electrician in Maryland (closer to Baltimore than DC) to do the installation? I got a bid from someone recommended by Tesla that seems quite high - $2,200. That includes a run of about 100' from the breaker to the install site though, so perhaps that explains the high cost...?

Try GSW Electric: (240) 832-4241 gswelectric.com They're right in your neighborhood and they do great work at reasonable prices.http://gswelectric.com

I got my first quote the other day from an electrician. My house is 100 amp service, and even though I have space to add a 50 amp breaker, he said it would be close to exceeding my service level. He said it's possible I wouldn't since the only other big draw I have is from my air conditioner, but it would be close. I did not want to pay to upgrade to 200 amp service. So he recommended simply adding a sub panel that would tap off my meter, then running the 240V line directly from the sub panel to my detached garage. No need to upgrade my service to 200 amp and no need to add a 50 amp breaker. Unfortunately for me, there is no existing conduit to my detached garage (the 110V line currently to my garage was simply buried), so I need about 35 feet of trenching and conduit done in my yard. But for the new sub panel, trenching, conduit, 240V run, and NEMA 14-50 outlet, I was quoted $1600. I think the permit cost was not included, but he said that's $150 (city of Chicago). I'm not doing the Tesla Wall Connector, but he said that would be an additional $650 if I changed my mind. Also said if I supply the Wall Connector they would install it for free. Anyway, hope that info helps compare. I'm still going to get another quote next week, but felt pretty confident with the first one. Seemed like a fair price & reliable company.
Hello,

I also live in chicago and soon i'll be taking delivery of model 3. Who was the electrician you worked with? Can you provide his contact?

How far is it from your main service panel to the garage/desired location? I might consider not replacing the sub and instead just running a dedicated 50A circuit from that. Depending on how you want to run the line would dictate the majority of the price. If your house is non-slab, you might go under, if not you could run conduit on the side?

Also, what's your current sub design. You might consider just coming off the sub and then limiting the charging amperage to an amount your sub can handle. That's what I'm doing, but I figure I could probably run a dedicated line for ~$500. I'm on solid slab, but I can run conduiit on the side of house then go underneath the deck and pop into the garage easily from under the deck. Breaker would be on my 200A main.

I am in central MA, waiting for my M3 LR AWD (ordered 6/12), I am in the process of going solar at the same time and I got a call from Tesla that if we go solar in 90 days when we buy a car they are giving the wall charger for free and I got exited hearing it and the rep told me he will add it to my account.

Today I got the install quote and see $1000 for the installation, is this how much an installation cost?

My main panel is next to garage door with enough room for 60amps.

Is this worth it to go with Tesla or shall I look for local installers

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-06-17 at 8.51.48 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-06-17 at 8.51.48 PM.png
    65.9 KB · Views: 127
I’m an electrician in virginia... so prices should be close...

It’s hard to say in your exact situation because there are a few variables but if the panel is in the garage and the panel is in the garage i would charge around $675 to install a 60 amp circuit.

I live in CT on the border w/ Westchester, NY. I had three quotes which ranged from $1k to 1.5k. I installed a 100A service in the event we wanted to have a second Tesla. The electrician had to pull a line from the basement to the garage. Original quotes assumed we needed to add a second service panel. In the end, I did not need to as the electrician found room to add the circuit breaker. I paid cash for a 10% discount. Price: $720

Not helpful for cost comparison, but a way to 'save'... I too got it installed when they installed my solar and Powerwalls... They had to put in a whole new box/panel, so it wasn't that hard. I gave them some generous beer money and they were happy. It was a 60A line and conduit... With about a 12ft run from the new panel.

But... I also spent $45K so :eek:

Thanks for the reasonable reply. My Tesla Wall Charger is next to my circuit breaker panel, the electrician added the 60amp circuit breaker, ran the feed inside the wall up to the charger and even set the switches in the 'charger' correctly - total of about $500.00 for the work. Add the 500.00 Tesla Wall Charger and it was a total just around $1000.00.

so, if you are in San Antonio, TX and need one installed call Brite Electric.

I’m an electrician in virginia... so prices should be close...

It’s hard to say in your exact situation because there are a few variables but if the panel is in the garage and the panel is in the garage i would charge around $675 to install a 60 amp circuit.

Reactions: qdeathstar
Thanks for the reasonable reply. My Tesla Wall Charger is next to my circuit breaker panel, the electrician added the 60amp circuit breaker, ran the feed inside the wall up to the charger and even set the switches in the 'charger' correctly - total of about $500.00 for the work. Add the 500.00 Tesla Wall Charger and it was a total just around $1000.00.

so, if you are in San Antonio, TX and need one installed call Brite Electric.

That’s just about what I paid, and I’m so glad the electrician mounted it to the wall and set the dial. I paid $425 which is very reasonable for my area.

I'm in Connecticut. Tesla quoted me only $1,000 to do the install so I chose them (cheaper than the $1.2 - $1.4k that local electricians quoted me).

Right now they are pulling the permits. It's about 60 feet from my breaker to my garage and they have to go through a wall and the ceiling of a finished basement (with drop ceiling). I was pleasantly surprised with the cost. Can't wait to get it installed.

installquote.png

Help! I'm in Queens, NY and looking for a good electrician to do a residential install. Our building is brand new and it's a very simple job--the drop would be 35 feet from the main panel. We just got a quote for 3500 which seems outrageous to me from what I've read. Any leads on electricians would be greatly appreciated.

The 6gauge wire runs about $4 a foot uninstalled so that should be $300 US without the installation cost.

I don't have a HPWC and my S gets 30 miles per hour charge on NEMA 14-50, more than enough for me.

Some other threads talked about users installing 30 amp lines....maybe you could avoid the $1,850 panel upgrade...and save money on a lower gauge wire.

If you really want the HPWC and are getting the panel upgrade..why not quote out a 80-100 amp and take advantage of the HPWC?
$4 a foot? holy batman! I wired my own garage with #6AWG copper, $0.54 a foot from my local electrical supply. At $4 a foot, I would expect it to install itself. :)

Guys,

I have no idea what's typical cost of installing Tesla wall charger in NJ/NYC, so hope one of you could recommended if quote below look reasonable. It does not include cost of Tesla wall charger ($500).

1) 150AMP TO 200AMP SERVICE UPGRADE (SIEMENS 200AMP Panel BOX Installed) = $1850
2) Wiring from Panel (basement) to HPWC (garage) - 75 ft = $1650
3) Permit/PSEG Utility Upgrade/Processing = $400
4) Installation of Disconnect as HPWC is not within light of sight of Panel = $380

Total = $4280
+ $500 (wall charger)

* I have 150 amp panel and recommendation is to bump it to 200 amp.

I think it is little bit high but have no idea what would typical cost be for this type of work. any suggestion, how much I should be paying of this type of work? Thank you.

I'm in PA, so about a good stone's throw away from you.

I wired my NEMA 6-50 plug myself and ran 55 feet of #6AWG from my basement to my garage. I ordered everything from a local electrical shop where all the contractors go, my total material cost including conduit, wire, clips, conduit elbows, conduit hangers, conduit access ports was $147. Took me 3 hours to run it, only because I had to bore through cinder block to get to my garage and the bit I had wasn't the most appropriate, so it grumbled through it. In other words, my fault for not buying another bit.

Your cost for the upgrade sounds reasonable to me, and honestly I think the 200 amp service is worth it, especially if you plan to stay there long term. Otherwise, don't do it.

Your second cost seems kinda high to me, but I don't know exactly what is involved. I can't imagine your material cost being more then $250 when I factor in what mine was in PA.

Item 3 has me scratching my head, $400 for a permit? Either your township is desperate for money or the contractor is marking this up. In comparison, I finished my basement myself which was "valued" to add another 20K to the house...my permit was $640. I can't see how adding a line to a garage costs $400. Talk to your local township on permitting fees.

Why item 4? Is this local code? And to be honest, this also sounds very expensive. As adding a disconnect while already performing work #2 should really add another 20 min to the job and then factor a disconnect switch ~$50.

I'm in PA, so about a good stone's throw away from you.

I wired my NEMA 6-50 plug myself and ran 55 feet of #6AWG from my basement to my garage. I ordered everything from a local electrical shop where all the contractors go, my total material cost including conduit, wire, clips, conduit elbows, conduit hangers, conduit access ports was $147. Took me 3 hours to run it, only because I had to bore through cinder block to get to my garage and the bit I had wasn't the most appropriate, so it grumbled through it. In other words, my fault for not buying another bit.

I'm hoping that the OP found a solution between 2017 and now. ;)