Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wall charger installation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I take delivery of my MX 75D on 12/23/17. I need help finding a local electrician in Sacramento to install a wall charger. I contacted a couple of the ones listed on the website and the quotes were exorbitant.

I have a 2 storey home and the wire from the breaker box to the install point will be about a 100 ft run. I was quoted upwards of $4000 for this.

Any help, tips and guidance in the right direction would be highly appreciated.

Thanks

$4000 might be a little high, but it is not going to be too far off. At 100ft, you will need a subpanel installed. Assuming your breaker can handle the 100amp breaker for the HPWC or the 50 amp for a Nema 14-50R wall outlet (and therefore, no upgrading the original panel necessary), I think you should expect to pay around $2k for the work (depending on how difficult it is to run the cable the length of the 100 ft). I am not an electrician, but I did install my charger myself, which included a 25ft run of wire and NO SUBPANEL needed. I originally got quotes for the project ranging from $700-$2400. I thought $700 was reasonable, and totally would have paid if I wasn't capable of doing it myself. I am sure there is someone else around here that needed a similar setup that might be able to give you a closer cost estimate.

I am not sure if they offer this service in CA, but Tesla themselves does home charger installs for 1K + the cost of the HPWC. I just had this done in my home. For more difficult installs, their services might come out cheaper than hiring an independent electrician. They did an excellent job and pulled all permits etc...Might be worth calling Tesla to see if they offer the service in your area.

I take delivery of my MX 75D on 12/23/17. I need help finding a local electrician in Sacramento to install a wall charger. I contacted a couple of the ones listed on the website and the quotes were exorbitant.

I have a 2 storey home and the wire from the breaker box to the install point will be about a 100 ft run. I was quoted upwards of $4000 for this.

Any help, tips and guidance in the right direction would be highly appreciated.

Thanks

Do you have the actual quote you can share? Block out the company name.

What circuit breaker size were you planning on using?

$4000 might be a little high, but it is not going to be too far off. At 100ft, you will need a subpanel installed. Assuming your breaker can handle the 100amp breaker for the HPWC or the 50 amp for a Nema 14-50R wall outlet (and therefore, no upgrading the original panel necessary), I think you should expect to pay around $2k for the work (depending on how difficult it is to run the cable the length of the 100 ft). I am not an electrician, but I did install my charger myself, which included a 25ft run of wire and NO SUBPANEL needed. I originally got quotes for the project ranging from $700-$2400. I thought $700 was reasonable, and totally would have paid if I wasn't capable of doing it myself. I am sure there is someone else around here that needed a similar setup that might be able to give you a closer cost estimate.

I don’t think 100ft requires a sub panel. It does require a disconnect if over 60a.

Mine HPWC is set for 50a breaker. Utility rate worked out better. Didn’t need the disconnect, but they put one in. A cheap AC type disconnect.

I am not sure if they offer this service in CA, but Tesla themselves does home charger installs for 1K + the cost of the HPWC. I just had this done in my home. For more difficult installs, their services might come out cheaper than hiring an independent electrician. They did an excellent job and pulled all permits etc...Might be worth calling Tesla to see if they offer the service in your area.

I think they have an * that it may cost more or “for most circumstances”. Worth a try!

For 100 foot run, at 100 amp breaker you would need 1 AWG wire. That is not reasonable to work with. Technically, it only uses 80 amp, so I guess you could use a 3 AWG copper. Again, I am not an electrician and it is very possible I am reading the data wrong (Wire Size Calculator). In any event, I think calling Tesla for the install sounds like the best idea. It's at least worth your time to get the quote from them.

For 100 foot run, at 100 amp breaker you would need 1 AWG wire. That is not reasonable to work with. Technically, it only uses 80 amp, so I guess you could use a 3 AWG copper. Again, I am not an electrician and it is very possible I am reading the data wrong (Wire Size Calculator). In any event, I think calling Tesla for the install sounds like the best idea. It's at least worth your time to get the quote from them.

Good point.

And 50-60a would be plenty adequate for most Tesla owners. Depends on usage pattern of course. But 50 easily charges overnight.

ABSOLUTELY. I have a nema 14-50r installed and it charges my x100d from 20% --> 90% easily overnight. Since I rarely run it that low, I usually only need 50% --> 90% charges, which takes a few hrs. Not sure the HPWC is totally necessary (at least for my usage).

brkau: Here is the contents of the bid that I recieved for a NEMA 14-50 outlet.

Subject: Electrical Estimate

Scope of Work: NEMA 14-50

· Provide Completed Load Calculations Worksheet

· Provide one line diagram

· Provide site plan

· Provide ventilation specification sheet

· 240 Volt / 50 AMP NEMA 14-50

· Distance from Panel: 110 ’ 120’

Permit Pricing

· Permit fees: $150.00

· Permit Process Fees/EV-Energy: $260.00

Labor / Material: $4,200.00

Total Base Bid: $4610.00

Note: Price Includes Permit, Inspections, and Tesla Report

· Provide site plan

Permit Pricing

This is from Tesla or a random electrician you found?

· Provide site plan

Permit Pricing

Interesting. I wasn't sure what you were getting - subject said Wall Charger so it could be any range of wire sizes.

This does sound pretty high for a 14-50. How hard of a path to get from one place to another?

I think you need to find another 2-3 quotes. I had 3 done before selecting an electrician.

Wow,

4k for a job I did myself for $750. 100' 1 awg copper in conduit underground run to garage. 100amp sub panel and 100 amp (80a max) in garage to Tesla HPWC also installed myself. I also installed additional 14-50 NEMA in garage as backup. All to code and inspected.

It's not rocket science, unless of course you are an electrician trying to gauge another customer lol!

Reactions: KJD and brkaus
@brkaus & @Solargrapes: The electrician was one that was listed on the Tesla website.

The reason its a 100 ft run is because he has to take the wire from the breaker box up to the 2nd floor (~25 ft), run it across the attic (~45 ft) and back down in to the garage (~25 ft). Don't want to go underground because of cutting up the concrete.
I'm not comfortable doing electrical work myself and hence looking for an affordable electrician.
Next option is to get someone to just run the wire by code and have another guy install the wall charger.... Based on the recommendations here thus far, I am considering just going with a 60A setup for the Wall Connector.

I'll come to sac and install it for $2500, and u can arange having it inspected.. :)
Honesty, if I was closer I would be happy to help out a fellow Tesla owner.
I installed my 100amp hpwc, but my new p85 is limited to 40amps. U will be happy with 60 amps on a hpwc..

Last edited:
Most any electrician can install the wall charger. It really isn’t that hard. You can see the manual online. Just be sure to set the dial switch inside to the correct breaker size.

The quote you had said 14-50.

Agree with 60A circuit idea if your going HPWC. It isn’t any more than a 50a circuit.

Of course, you’d be fine with a 14-50 and the included adaptor too.

Maybe look in the California section of this forum for recommendations?

Most any electrician can install the wall charger. It really isn’t that hard. You can see the manual online. Just be sure to set the dial switch inside to the correct breaker size.

The quote you had said 14-50.

Agree with 60A circuit idea if your going HPWC. It isn’t any more than a 50a circuit.

Of course, you’d be fine with a 14-50 and the included adaptor too.

Maybe look in the California section of this forum for recommendations?
I’m planning on adding 1 more Tesla within the next year so I thought of just spending the money and getting the wall connector. Now it’s just the install part that’s driving me nuts.

Are you a professional electrician?

Wow,

4k for a job I did myself for $750. 100' 1 awg copper in conduit underground run to garage. 100amp sub panel and 100 amp (80a max) in garage to Tesla HPWC also installed myself. I also installed additional 14-50 NEMA in garage as backup. All to code and inspected.

It's not rocket science, unless of course you are an electrician trying to gauge another customer lol!